Darynda Jones Fans discussion

TGDA Book Discussion > Day 4 ~ Chapters 1-3 Question #1

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, Founder (new)

Dana Alma (readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
When Roland prepares to pass through Charley, he wants her to do him a favor. Most of the spirits that pass through her want her to do something for them. Charley even comments that they always want something whether it be handing out messages or solving crimes. Do you think that this comment is telling? How weary she is of her spiritually appointed profession?

message 2: by Shaz (new)

Shaz yeah, clearly she's tired of either passing on messages or doing things for them, as previous favours have made her either get beaten up or help calm them down, which she doesn't like much, as she blames herself when she's them cry. :)

message 3: by Shaz (new)

Shaz when she see's them* *

message 4: by Dana, Founder (new)

I agree with you Shazzy, she seems so weary of the whole thing, and the lack of sleep doesn't help.

message 5: by Candie (new)

Candie (candiegyrl) | 350 comments Mod
Could it be that she's just very sarcastic?

message 6: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Candie wrote: "Could it be that she's just very sarcastic?"

She seems so relieved when they only pass through and require no help from her. I get the feeling that she does not like hurting the passing's loved ones and sensing the loved ones' grief more than putting her own safety at risk. Charley is an empath and a caring person...she hates hurting others, even indirectly.

Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) | 609 comments Mod
Dana wrote: "I agree with you Shazzy, she seems so weary of the whole thing, and the lack of sleep doesn't help."

She did seem more weary this book...and with the fight with the demons gearing up and unlocking more of her powers she's going to be getting even more distracted.

message 8: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Traci wrote: "Dana wrote: "I agree with you Shazzy, she seems so weary of the whole thing, and the lack of sleep doesn't help."

She did seem more weary this book...and with the fight with the demons gearing u..."

Great point, Traci. :-)

message 9: by Shaz (new)

Shaz Mel wrote: "Candie wrote: "Could it be that she's just very sarcastic?"

She seems so relieved when they only pass through and require no help from her. I get the feeling that she does not like hurting the pa..."

I agree with you Mel, she does seen relieved when they pass with no favours asked, and that she doesn't like hurting the passed loved one. :D Definitely a caring person with a hell of job, as a Grim Reaper. :)

message 10: by Dana, Founder (new)

What went through your mind when Roland passes and Charley sees his life and thinks: "I'll have to look him up when my time comes."? Hmmm...

message 11: by Shaz (new)

Shaz You can think of many thing, maybe Roland's past is linked to hers or Reyes (if from 2nd book?, i have not yet read it) or she may be just curious as to what may have happened in Rolands past :)

message 12: by Dana, Founder (new)

She seems to know she will go to heaven and it could be foreshadowing of a future visit to heaven. I just got that vibe.

Dana wrote: "She seems to know she will go to heaven and it could be foreshadowing of a future visit to heaven. I just got that vibe."

As long as it's just a VISIT to heaven...we don't want her there permanently!!

message 14: by Shaz (new)

Shaz I second that, definitely dont want a permanent visit to heaven from her. :)

But it would be cool if she could visit. She could learn so much.

message 16: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Dana wrote: "What went through your mind when Roland passes and Charley sees his life and thinks: "I'll have to look him up when my time comes."? Hmmm..."

Dana, great thought. Did you major in language arts? You are always noticing stuff like "foreshadowing" which reminds me of my co-workers' curriculum talks. LOL. :-)

I only took that the Roland had a good spirit...and she wanted to spend more time with him when her time was up. When someone passes through her she can see their life and she liked what she saw when he passed. At the time I was so concerned with Reyes, I probably missed something.

message 17: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Traci wrote: "But it would be cool if she could visit. She could learn so much."

Traci, Dana, Shazzy...it would be wonderful for Charlie to be able to visit Heaven for training and return to Earth whenever she want. You are all correct a permanently dead Charlie would SUCK! :-(

message 18: by Shaz (new)

Shaz Mel wrote: "Traci wrote: "But it would be cool if she could visit. She could learn so much."

Traci, Dana, Shazzy...it would be wonderful for Charlie to be able to visit Heaven for training and return to Earth..."

I sure do second that, a permanent dead charlie would suck. :(

message 19: by Dana, Founder (new)

Hey guys, how about Charley's obsession with naming body parts. Poor sausage got named too, Peter!

Dana wrote: "Hey guys, how about Charley's obsession with naming body parts. Poor sausage got named too, Peter!"

I love the names she comes up with...Danger, Will Robinson, Stella...it's hilarious. Naming the sausage though....I think that sleep deprivation was really on her :) It made me laugh!

message 21: by Dana, Founder (new)

Traci wrote: "Dana wrote: "Hey guys, how about Charley's obsession with naming body parts. Poor sausage got named too, Peter!"

I love the names she comes up with...Danger, Will Robinson, Stella...it's hilari..."

Her train of thought was everywhere, I thought it was great!

Dana wrote: "Her train of thought was everywhere, I thought it was great!....."

It was! Daryanda captured Charley's state perfectly! Over caffinated, sleep deprived, ADD, all rolled into together. It was so easy to visualize.

message 23: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Traci wrote: "Dana wrote: "Hey guys, how about Charley's obsession with naming body parts. Poor sausage got named too, Peter!"

I love the names she comes up with...Danger, Will Robinson, Stella...it's hilari..."

I think Charlie's names for her body parts are fun...I especially enjoy it when she throws someone off by referring to a part by name. Until they get to know her, they are so stunned at first...

message 24: by Dana, Founder (new)

Our Charley has sex on the mind. LOL

message 25: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Traci wrote: "Dana wrote: "Her train of thought was everywhere, I thought it was great!....."

It was! Daryanda captured Charley's state perfectly! Over caffinated, sleep deprived, ADD, all rolled into togethe..."

I was able to relate it to days where I felt like I was on autopilot. You know...like when you are so tired, you cannot even remember the drive home.

Mel wrote: "Traci wrote: "Dana wrote: "Hey guys, how about Charley's obsession with naming body parts. Poor sausage got named too, Peter!"

I love the names she comes up with...Danger, Will Robinson, Stella....."

I want to know if she's named any of Reyes' body parts ;)

message 27: by Dana, Founder (new)

Traci wrote: "Mel wrote: "Traci wrote: "Dana wrote: "Hey guys, how about Charley's obsession with naming body parts. Poor sausage got named too, Peter!"

I love the names she comes up with...Danger, Will Robins..."

You better believe she will or did, we just aren't privy to it, yet!

message 28: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Traci wrote: "Mel wrote: "Traci wrote: "Dana wrote: "Hey guys, how about Charley's obsession with naming body parts. Poor sausage got named too, Peter!"

I love the names she comes up with...Danger, Will Robins..."

Me too...as I said before I had a high school boyfriend who referred to his male member as a Stanley power tool. High school boys and their fantasies. Reyes, on the other hand, is more than powerful...LOL ;-)

message 29: by Dana, Founder (new)

Mel wrote: "Traci wrote: "Dana wrote: "Her train of thought was everywhere, I thought it was great!....."

It was! Daryanda captured Charley's state perfectly! Over caffinated, sleep deprived, ADD, all rolled ..."

Me too! I've been known to put shoes in the freezer and I can't even blame alcohol, lack of sleep was the culprit!

message 30: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Dana wrote: "Mel wrote: "Traci wrote: "Dana wrote: "Her train of thought was everywhere, I thought it was great!....."

It was! Daryanda captured Charley's state perfectly! Over caffinated, sleep deprived, ADD,..."

Glad to know I am not the only one...my ice cream has melted in the pantry. Ugh!

message 31: by Dana, Founder (new)

Mel wrote: "Traci wrote: "Mel wrote: "Traci wrote: "Dana wrote: "Hey guys, how about Charley's obsession with naming body parts. Poor sausage got named too, Peter!"

I love the names she comes up with...Dange..."

Mel, I love the direction you are taking this! Reyes will have to be something like HEMI!

message 32: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Being Dodge Dames and all...Dodge Charger SRT-8, the most powerful Hemi with 470 horsepower.

message 33: by Dana, Founder (new)

Mel wrote: "Being Dodge Dames and all...Dodge Charger SRT-8, the most powerful Hemi with 470 horsepower."

Hell yes!

Dana wrote: "Mel wrote: "Being Dodge Dames and all...Dodge Charger SRT-8, the most powerful Hemi with 470 horsepower."

Hell yes!"

Think Darynda would take suggestions? Hemi is perfect for the Dodge Dames :)

message 35: by Dana, Founder (new)

Did you know that Jeep does make a model with a Hemi motor! Kewl

message 36: by Dana, Founder (new)

You're right, she likes to read our comments, who knows. He he!

Now there would be a contest prize...name Reye's *parts*

message 38: by Dana, Founder (new)

That's a wonderful idea!

We would have to wait until Cindy was back online though...she would be heartbroken to miss that one.

message 40: by Dana, Founder (new)

That girl can come up with the best one liners! She makes me laugh so much! Miss her. :(

message 41: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments I miss Cindy, too. She can always make me smile. Technology problems SUCK!

message 42: by Shaz (new)

Shaz Dana wrote: "Hey guys, how about Charley's obsession with naming body parts. Poor sausage got named too, Peter!"
I think Charley is number 1 at naming body parts, especially her own, lack of sleep really doesn't help her much, but it sure does brings humour to the Grim Reaper books. :)