YA LGBT Books discussion

The Ravens Crossing > TRC Updates

Comments Showing 1-50 of 127 (127 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments *

message 2: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments News on what is Coming Up This Week on TRC.

message 3: by Andi (new)

Andi Lea (andilea) Coming This Week: 2/20/2012

http://www.theravenscrossing.org/the-...

Week 1 flew by in a flash!

The support we have been receiving from the LGBTQIA community has been heartwarming. Everyone working on TRC has been touched by the kindness shown to the project. In furthering our mission to encourage the writing, reading, and publishing of young adult LGBTQIA books we have joined up with the YA LGBT Books group at Goodreads.

This group is a great resource for finding new and old YA LGBT books. Members can interact on the message boards with other members, YA authors, the group moderators, and just have a good time. Everything at YA LGBT Books is appropriate for the YA audience. And there is even a discussion thread where no adults are allowed.

You need to be a member of Goodreads to join us at YA LGBT Books group. But, don't worry it's all FREE! And it's easy to sign up.

If you enjoy YA LGBT literature then we highly recommend this group. If you want to get some exclusive TRC content, then you really should join. You can also chat with us over there on the discussion threads, ask us questions, and get some behind the scenes news. And it's not just us, there are some amazing YA authors over there chatting it up with members: Hayden Thorne, Jo Ramsey, and Kira Harp are just a few.

We hope you'll join us in supporting this amazing group.

Week 2

Monday: Lucas & Riley
Tuesday: Morgan & Holly
Wednesday: Kazuki & Quinn
Thursday: Darci & Elliot
Friday: Sharon & Alex
Saturday: Raiden & Hemp and Tetsuya

message 4: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments Hey, thanks for the boost guys! We're looking forward to seeing your stories as they go up :)

message 5: by Andi (new)

Andi Lea (andilea) Hi All,

Every Saturday we'll be giving YA LGBT Books our Coming This Week post a day early. We post this every Sunday at TRC. You get it Saturday. This week we will be participating in a blog hop and giving away a $15 gift certificate to Amazon. That contest runs 2/29 through 3/4.

Cheers~
Andi

Coming This Week at TRC

http://www.theravenscrossing.org

The Love Conquers All Valentine’s dance was a success, despite Sharon catching Alex doing something he shouldn’t. Kaz found out who his secret admirer was, did you? Lucas and Riley shared a first …well, if you missed it we don’t want to spoil it. Did Morgan and Holly hook up? We’re wondering if Hemp will continue to give the cold shoulder to Raiden. Why did Darci panic at the dance? And what is going on with our bachelor boy, Tetsuya, what secret is he hiding?

Read Week 2 and catch up.

We have new content at TRC:

-First Time Here? is a tab at the top of the page which is a good place to start and provides helpful information about The Ravens Crossing.

-The character bio pages have been updated with character stats. Wondering how tall Quinn is? What color are Morgan’s eyes? Does Lucas have a nickname? Who is Sharon dating? Does Holly have any siblings? When is Kazuki’s birthday? What color is Hemp’s hair?

February 29 through March 4, 2012, we will be participating in the Leap into Indie Blog Hop, hosted by Paranormal Wastelands and Can’t Put It Down.

-Visit us each day during the blog hop, leave a comment and you’ll be entered to win a $15.00 Amazon gift certificate from The Ravens Crossing.

Visit all of the participating authors and enter to win something cool at each site.
Look for the link at the top of our page beginning 2/29. Leave a comment and you are entered to win here at TRC. Click the link each day to find all of the participating blogs and enter to win at each one.

Week 3 begins Monday, February 27!

Saturday: Raiden & Hemp and Tetsuya

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments Woot! Our first blog hop. I'm very excited. I hope we will see some of you there. :D Have a great weekend.

message 7: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments Is Leap into Indie blog tour all YA? If so you could give it a mention in "What's on Your Mind" too. And congrats on heading into week 3 - fun stories so far!

message 8: by Andi (new)

Andi Lea (andilea) Yes the Leap into Indie Blog hop is all YA authors.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments Good morning everyone. We are a tiny bit late with this reminder. The Indie Blog Hop has begun over at http://wwwtheravenscrossing.org. Our excuse is not one you'll hear often. The house where Team TRC was meeting yesterday was literally struck by lightening. This made for all kinds of internet issues. Life is always an adventure! LOL!

Anyway, the blog hop started yesterday and runs through this coming Sunday. The Ravens Crossing is giving away a $15 gift certificate to Amazon. The winner will be announced on Monday. There are twenty YA blogs participating in the event with giveaways at all of them! Here is the list of links. Have fun!

Paranormal Wastelands

message 10: by Andi (new)

Andi Lea (andilea) Internet has been restored at the TRC headquarters! Yay!

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments And the crowd cheers!!

message 12: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments I'm glad it wasn't any worse - good to hear.

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments Thanks Kaje. It was pretty much Andi's phone lines and modem that got fried. The rest of us who weren't plugged into the phone lines didn't have problems even though we were all connected up at the time it happened. Whew. We are all very lucky and very glad to have Andi and Poet back online with no permanent computer damage! Yay!

message 14: by Andi (new)

Andi Lea (andilea) Coming This Week: 3/3/2012

http://www.theravenscrossing.org

The Leap Into Indie blog hop ends tomorrow, Sunday March 4. So be sure to stop by and enter to win! We’re giving away a $15 gift certificate to Amazon. All you need to do is leave us your name and email in the comments section.

Paranormal Wastelands

News from Wildwood:

What was with the freaky encounter Lucas and Riley had? What did Morgan and Holly see in The Grove? How did Kaz’ and Quinn’s date go? Why was Elliot talking to Darci’s older brother Liam? Where did Alex take Sharon on the Harley? Will Raiden and Hemp hook up? And what is happening with Tetsuya, Travis, and Amelia?

Catch up on Week 3 at The Ravens Crossing:
http://www.theravenscrossing.org/week-3/

March 5 through March 10 check out our Behind the Scenes discussion thread, we are giving YA LGBT Books a peek at the main characters in Wildwood. We might even reveal a few hidden secrets that we haven’t shared on the TRC website! Each day we’ll be posting a little background information:

Saturday: Raiden & Hemp; Tetsuya

message 15: by Andi (new)

Andi Lea (andilea) Hi All!

I wanted to let you know that The Ravens Crossing has been featured on the blog, Worlds of Change. This is the blog of the Master's program at Goddard College.

http://worldsofchange.com/2012/03/08/...

TRC is working with Goddard College and offering internship opportunities to their students. We are in the process of setting up similar opportunities at other colleges. We will post a list as soon as we can.

If you are a college student who is interested in an internship with The Ravens Crossing, please contact me andilea@theravenscrossing.net and I will give you more information.

Cheers~
Andi

message 16: by Kaje (last edited Mar 09, 2012 07:15AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments Very cool - congratulations on the widening circle of attention. And what a great opportunity for you and a student.

message 17: by Andi (new)

Andi Lea (andilea) Thanks Kaje, we are really excited! :)

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments I know, the Goddard faculty have all be fantastically supportive. It's great to see!

message 19: by Andi (new)

Andi Lea (andilea) Coming This Week: 3/10/2012

TRC and YA LGBT Books has been featured over at Goddard College’s Worlds of Change blog: http://worldsofchange.com/2012/03/08/...

We are working with Goddard College to offer internships to their BA and MA students. We are also setting up internships at other colleges. If you are a college student and interested in interning with TRC please contact andilea@theravenscrossing.net

If you are a high school student interested in volunteering your time and receiving lovely, glowing letters of recommendation for future college applications or jobs. Please contact andilea@theravenscrossing.net for more information.

News from Wildwood:

Raiden showed up at Hemp’s house! Lucas and Riley cuddled up for a movie night. Sharon and Morgan shared some secrets. Elliot took Darci out on a date. Quinn told his sister he’s dating Kaz. Tetsuya received a call from Travis. And it looks like Alex skipped school.

Catch up on Week 4: http://www.theravenscrossing.org/week-4/

Week 5 begins Monday!

We hope you all enjoyed the sneak peeks of the main characters of TRC. We had a lot of fun sharing a bit of what goes on behind the scenes. We are working on more exclusives just for YA LGBT Books members. We’d love to hear what you are interested in. Feel free to ask us any questions.

message 20: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments I am so enjoying your site--truly--really good stuff--folks make sure you drop over there and check it out!!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Sammy. We're so happy you're enjoying it.

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments Thanks so much, Sammy! I'm really glad you are liking what you read! The whole project is one grand adventure for all of us. I'm enjoying working on it more than I even imagined when we first started brainstorming. It's a joy to be working with my alumnae sisters on this. It's thrilling to be working together on a project we all believe in so passionately, because we all share an important history and a bond of friendship that keeps strengthening as we go. :D

message 23: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Amanda wrote: "Thanks so much, Sammy! I'm really glad you are liking what you read! The whole project is one grand adventure for all of us. I'm enjoying working on it more than I even imagined when we first start..."

"...to be working together on a project we all believe in so passionately, because we all share an important history and a bond of friendship that keeps strengthening as we go."

And that is what life is really all about isn't it--friends and doing something you love--something to which you can give your passion--your utmost! And it shows on your website---truly it does!

message 24: by Andi (new)

Andi Lea (andilea) Thanks Sammy! :)

message 25: by Andi (new)

Andi Lea (andilea) Coming This Week: 3/17/2012

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

News from Wildwood:

Last week secrets were exposed. Lucas, Riley, Morgan, and Holly had a moment of realization. What did Tetsuya notice? And Kaz wants to know why Quinn was glowing? Was it just the blush of new love or something else? What secret did Darci tell Elliot? Alex overheard Sharon going secretly behind Morgan’s back. And did Raiden get a chance to comfort Hemp?

Be sure to catch up on Week 5: http://www.theravenscrossing.org/week-5/

Week 6 begins, March 18:

We’re having another contest at The Raven’s Crossing! We need a prom theme for Wildwood High School and we want your vote. On Wednesday, March 19 look for your opportunity to vote on a prom theme and be entered to win a Rainbow Prom Party Pack—full of fun stuff to share with your friends!

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments Happy St. Patty's Day all!! :D

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Happy St. Pat's to everyone. Have a beautiful green day.

message 28: by Andi (new)

Andi Lea (andilea) Coming This Week: 3/24/2012

This week we experienced our first website hiccup. After a few hours of website shenanigans everything was repaired. Gotta love technology and all its crazysauce!
Needless to say we had to make some adjustments to our $20 Amazon Gift Certificate contest. The contest is now up and running. Please vote and help us pick a prom theme: http://www.theravenscrossing.org/

You might be the lucky winner!

News from Wildwood:

A promise is made between Lucas & Riley. Hemp struggles to understand Raiden. The raven helps Morgan & Holly. Things heat up for Kaz and Quinn. Darci shows Elliot a whole new way to travel. Alex comes clean with Sharon, and Amelia surprises Tetsuya in more ways than one.
Catch up on Week 6: http://www.theravenscrossing.org/week-6/

Week 7 begins, March 26:

message 29: by Andi (new)

Andi Lea (andilea) Coming This Week: 4.1.2012

Tomorrow, April 1, Sarah Diemer Visits The Ravens Crossing. Sarah is multi-published YA author of lesbian fiction. She has history of promoting YA LGBTQI fiction. And she was just all around fun to visit with!

Here's an excerpt from our own Amanda Corlies interviewing Sarah:

A: I was pleasantly surprised to hear you say that straight women love your stories and are the majority of your sales. I've always enjoyed diversity in my main characters, and read voraciously across genres, not just about one particular letter of LGBT. I also find myself writing diverse characters. I guess I'm just passionate about writing and promoting diversity and equality for all. What makes you passionate about promoting YA Queer Literature?

S: Okay. So, generally, it's assumed around ten percent of people are gay, right? You're not taking into account, with that percentage, how many people are bi or trans or any-other-shade of queer, or people who were never comfortable stating that they're gay. It's probably around fifteen to twenty percent of the population. I'm totally pulling those numbers out of Sparkleland, but let's just assume that it is a LARGE number of people on this planet. It is ludicrous to me that with that large percentage--no matter what it is, you're talking billions of people--are basically ignored by literature. There is a lot of queer literature out there, don't get me wrong, but the amount of gay YA that exists is TINY. TINY. If you look at the percentages, it's nowhere CLOSE. WHY is that? Our literature should reflect us, as a culture, and it DOESN'T.

There are SO many queer kids out there who have absolutely no role model in literature, who can't find stories about themselves, who are absolutely and utterly invisible in modern culture. That's ridiculous. I can't articulate how deeply upsetting that is to me, that I grew up that way, and that people are STILL growing up that way. Why are there so many suicides? Why do so many gay kids have such low self esteem? Why are so many gay kids bullied? I know there are many answers to those questions, but one of the most resounding ones is because they are INVISIBLE and relegated to a joke or the token character in modern media. They're told, by television, by books, by society, that they DON'T EXIST, that they CAN'T lead normal lives (if you're gay, good luck, you'll never find someone, or it'll be impossible to keep your love since you're GAY and that means, obviously, that your love is meant to be TRAGIC [says our current depictions of GLBT romance in modern media]). NONE OF THIS IS TRUE. NONE of it. And we're perpetuating the most tragic of falsehoods: that gay kids are invisible. That gay kids don't exist. That gay kids are meaningless.

I refuse to let that be the case. I refuse to let that lie be perpetuated. Until the day I die, I will be telling queer kid stories, because I can't NOT. It's something that's built into me. I grew up like this. I can't stand that other kids are growing up like this, not when they don't have to, not when it's such a baseless lie. You're gay, and that's wonderful, and there is nothing less or different about you that makes you worth less or unequal. And you deserve stories. And I'm trying to do my best by that, and I know other authors are, too. And, together, we ARE going to change things. There are too many people who know the lie who are NOT going to let it perpetuate itself. <3

Be sure to stop by The Ravens Crossing tomorrow for the full interview and enter a giveaway of a personalized signed copy of The Dark Wife by Sarah Diemer.

Voting for the Wildwood High School Prom theme continues. And we're giving away a $20 Amazon gift certificate to a random winner: http://www.theravenscrossing.org/

Do you know what is going on in Wildwood???

Sharon gets caught keeping secrets. Lucas’ Aunt Kat returns to Wildwood. Raiden & Hemp figure out part of the “Suya mystery.” Holly is having recurring nightmares. Kaz makes Quinn blush. Darci & Elliot discover they share similar future dreams, and Travis sees Tetsuya with Amelia.

Catch up on Week 7: http://www.theravenscrossing.org/week-7/

Week 7 begins, March 26:

message 30: by Andi (new)

Andi Lea (andilea) Coming This Week: 4/7/2012

Vote for Prom contest winner:

Congratulations to Kortny!

News from Wildwood:

Quinn gets help shopping for Kaz’s birthday present. Hazel catches Holly & Morgan heating things up in the kitchen. Lucas shows his power to Riley. Tetsuya and his brothers take a trip to Hazel’s. Hemp helps Raiden research his mysterious necklace. Darci & Elliot share a little tree climbing, some eavesdropping and some friendly competition. Sharon’s father insists she stop seeing Alex, just when Alex invites her home to meet his two dads.

Catch up on Week 8:

http://www.theravenscrossing.org/week-8/

Week 9 begins, April:

message 31: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments Coming This Week: 4/14/2012

This week, in celebration of Earth Day on April 22nd, and our tenth week online, we will be doubling the fun at The Ravens Crossing. Monday will start the celebration off with an entire Lucas & Riley short story. Everyone who has asked for more, we are extremely happy to deliver this week. All of the stories for the entire week will be double in length. It’s our way of thanking you all for reading.

Wildwood residents will celebrate Earth Day, as well. It’s the time for their biggest annual event, The Breakfast for Dinner Dance at the Broussard Community Center. This year’s event is extra special, because they are celebrating the lives of two of their most prominent citizens, Pierre Broussard and his partner Ben Larabee-Broussard. All of your favorite characters will be there, many making cameo appearances in all of the stories this week. And, some intriguing new characters will be arriving, too. So, don’t miss out on the fun.

http://www.theravenscrossing.org/

News from Wildwood:

Wondering what happened in week 9? Lucas & Riley burn off some stress by testing each other’s limits. Holly does a little snooping in Morgan’s bedroom. Kaz plans an Easter surprise for Quinn. Darci finds herself happy to be Elliot’s slave for a day. Alex goes for a wild ride. Hemp might have connections to the valkyries, and Tetsuya meets an unexpected and dangerous friend down by the river.

Catch up on Week 9: http://www.theravenscrossing.org/week-9/

Week 10 begins, April 16th:

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments Coming This Week: 4/22/2012

Our celebration of Earth Day continues this week at TRC. We are participating in The Showers of Books Giveaway Hop. You can enter to win a $15 Amazon gift certificate by posting a comment on one of our stories. Enter to win at TRC once a day for all five days of the hop if you like. Click the Showers of Books icon to find a list of tons of other blogs participating. There are loads of YA books to read and free stuff to win all around the blogosphere this week. Good luck.

Visit: http://www.theravenscrossing.org/

Happy Earth Day! Tomorrow, April 22nd, 2012, we continue a tradition that began back in 1970, when several million people took to the streets to protest pollution. What started the idea? A book, of course. A book written by a woman named Rachel Carson, called Silent Spring that, for the first time, effectively grabbed the attention of people around the globe by showing the detrimental effects of pollution on animal and human health. Several years later, Gaylord Nelson, a US senator from Wisconsin inspired by Ms. Carson would gather liberals and conservatives together, along with people of all socio-economic backgrounds to start a movement that would bring environmental concerns into mainstream politics. The first Earth Day protest spread like wildfire, and the combined voices of millions of people forever changed the importance we place upon environmental concerns world-wide. The first Earth Day led to the Environmental Protection Act, the Clean Air and Clean Water Act, and the Endangered Species Act.

Earth Day protests and celebrations have continued every year to this day. It’s an annual opportunity for all of us to reconfirm a commitment to green practices and to actively seek new and better ways to lessen our impact upon our planet. To learn more about Earth Day, go to http://www.earthday.org/earth-day-his... . A quick Google search will help you find an Earth Day celebration near you this weekend. Many are free of cost and tons of fun. Join the movement and learn what you can do to help make our earth a better place.

News from Wildwood:

Wondering what happened last week? For the week 10 Earth Day celebration, longer stories were posted all week with lots of cameo appearances by all of your favorite characters in every story. It’s our way of saying thanks for reading. Here are some of the highlights:

The annual Breakfast for Dinner Dance is as successful as it is heart wrenching. Everyone pays their respects to Pierre Broussard and his partner Ben Larabee-Broussard and helps to celebrate their extraordinary lives. Lucas, in particular, takes an emotional roller coaster ride. He’s been having trouble coping with the loss of his loved ones, not to mention his overwhelming feelings for Riley, the one person who keeps him grounded. Though Morgan is grieving for her friends, she is thrilled when the event helps Holly understand what it really means to be a part of the Wildwood community. Quinn is worried when his powers that continue to surge and leave him feeling out of control. He is happy to have Kaz’s calming influence and a walk down memory lane to help distract him. Darci & Elliot must work through their nerves and perform a duet for the memorial service. But, an unexpected visitor and some very exciting news will shake things up for them both. Sharon decides how to deal with her father’s ultimatum to stop dating Alex, though she doesn’t do the best job of informing Alex of her plans. Tetsuya and Amelia are both struggling to deal with the loss of their friends Pierre and Ben. Turning to each other certainly helps. Hemp is thrilled by the surprise arrival of some of her family for the BfDD and touched when she discovers that Raiden helped surprise her. Don’t miss out on all the fun.

Catch up on Week 10: http://www.theravenscrossing.org/week...

Week 11 begins, April 23rd:

message 33: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments Hey everybody! Here's another early weekly update from TRC!

Coming This Week: We have another Winner! 4/28/2012

For The Showers of Books Giveaway Hop, TRC is thrilled to be giving a $15 Amazon gift certificate to Janie! Thanks to all who stopped by and left us comments. Congratulations, Janie!

News from Wildwood:

Kaz and Quinn experience some strange and exhilarating things in The Grove this week. Things get more complicated for Darci and Elliot when they practice projecting to The Grove. Riley finds himself in a seriously scary situation when he tries to help Lucas deal with the death of his family. Hemp and Raiden struggle to turn their focus from each other to helping their friends and family figure out what’s going on in Wildwood. Morgan confronts Holly about her dreams when she talks with an unexpected friend on their date to the Larabee Wild Animal Park. Suya and his brothers are all three keeping some big secrets. Find out what you missed.

Catch up on Week 11: http://www.theravenscrossing.org/week...

Week 12 begins, April 30th:

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments Coming This Week: The Prom! 5/5/2012

We are happy to announce Midsummer Night’s Dream as the theme chosen by the majority of our readers for this WHS’s Prom 2012. Thanks to all who voted. The Broussard Center looks amazing all decked out. Plus, you’ll never guess what surprises are in store for everyone. The fun begins Monday. Happy Cinco de Mayo!

News from Wildwood:

Lucas has a heart to heart with Kat and finds out his world isn’t quite what he always expected. Holly shows the ultimate trust and confides her most guarded secrets to Morgan. While Quinn seeks solace at The Grove, Kaz and Raiden confront Tetsuya and demand answers. With the help of Lucas and Riley, Darci shakes things up for Elliot, but Elliot can give as good as he gets. Sharon helps Alex cope with his confusion about his new found special abilities, but will he finally cave and ask Sharon to the prom? Tetsuya has been keeping secrets, but he finally confides in his brothers while Hemp and Amelia bond over boys on a girl’s day out. Find out what you missed.

Catch up on Week 12: http://theravenscrossing.org/week-12/

Week 13 begins, May 7th:

message 35: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments Coming This Week: The Student Art Show. 5/12/2012

The WHS student art show is taking place in the library this week. Everyone will be there and all kinds of discoveries are taking place. Plus, find out who is gifted with a truly unique artistic eye.

News from Wildwood: Week 13

Things get heated when Lucas helps Riley suit up before the prom. Holly surprises Morgan with an unexpected gift. When both of their families and most of their friends gather at Hyacinth’s garden for pre-prom pictures, Kaz and Quinn struggle to keep their hands off each other. Elliot has fun starting rumors on the dance floor with Lucas, Riley and Darci, but the gossip mill really churns when a big discovery has them all leaving the prom together. Alex apologizes when doubts lead him to make a huge mistake. Will Sharon be willing to forgive him this time? When Coach Rodriguez brings news from overseas, Hemp begins to understand she may soon be in danger of losing Raiden. Suya and Amelia are having a great night until Travis arrives with a surprise date. Suya must think fast to avoid disaster. Find out what you missed.

Catch up on Week 13: http://theravenscrossing.org/week-13/

Week 14 begins, May 14th:

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments Coming This Week: Finals 5/19/2012

Last Thursday, May 17th, was International Day Against Homophobia (IDAHO), a time for everyone to come together and speak out against bullying and intolerance and to promote equality and human rights for all. Find out more about IDAHO at http://www.homophobiaday.org/ . If you or someone you know is a victim of homophobia or you are having trouble coping, please look to the links provided on the lower right-hand side of every page at The Ravens Crossing website – links like the GLBT National Help Center at http://www.glnh.org/talkline/index.html - where you can find help and support. Don’t hesitate to reach out. There’s a whole, huge community of people out here ready and waiting to accept you just the way you are!

News from Wildwood: Week 14

Lucas can’t seem to stop himself from secretly exploring his new found talents alone, and he brings back something unexpected to the school art show. Alchemy’s painting brings to life Holly’s worst nightmares. Quinn and Kaz try to stay calm and figure out their next move as they take in all of the images in Alchemy’s prophetic art. Still reeling from the changes in their lives, Darci and Elliot realize all of their friends must be Gaeas when they are drawn by the erratic energy pulsing around them at the art show. Alex gets lots of his Gaea questions answered by Sharon, but feels even more confused when he realizes most of his friends have similar powers. Raiden, Hemp, and Amelia join their friends at Alchemy’s painting, worried by what all the images might mean. Tetsuya’s work is interrupted at the school paper when the energy from his friends surges through the building, drawing him toward the library. Find out how he reacts to what his sister’s hidden talent might be telling them.

Catch up on Week 14: http://theravenscrossing.org/week-14/

Week 15 is finals week at WHS, and everybody is exhausted. When Mrs. Stallings throws Lucas and Riley a joint 17th birthday party - their birthdays are three days apart - everyone is ready for a break and some celebration time. Everyone, that is, except Lucas and Riley. Plus, the strange happenings in Wildwood keep on getting stranger. Find out what dangers are lurking in The Grove, and what fantastic new friends all your favorite characters are liable to meet

Week 15 begins, May 21st:

message 37: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments Coming This Week: Summer Begins! 5/27/2012

Happy Memorial Day from all of us at TRC! May your summer be filled with adventures.

News from Wildwood: Week 15

Lucas gives Riley a very special birthday gift. The raven helps Morgan see things from a new perspective. Kaz surprises Quinn with a new, very special friend. Life’s currents change for Elliot when he and his family go kite flying at Hadley’s Organic Farm. Sharon and Alex experience forbidden things in The Grove. Hemp is walking on air when her uncle explains her heritage, and Tetsuya finally breaks the Travis story to Amelia.

Catch up on Week 15: http://theravenscrossing.org/week-15/

During Week 16, Holly finally finds some possible scientific explanations about Gaeas. But, after a heart to heart with her mother, she ends up with even more questions about her own heritage. Plus, there’s an adventure in Lucas’ attic, a visit from a samurai with a scroll, and a whole lot more. Don’t miss out.

Week 16 begins, May 28th:

message 38: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments Wow, some of these stories are getting complicated. Did someone say samurai?

message 39: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments Yes they did. You never know what might happen in Wildwood. :D

message 40: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments Coming This Week: World-wide Pride and Josh Hutcherson! 6/2/2012

June is Pride month, so break out your rainbow flags. There are celebrations taking place all around you. People all over the world are coming together to show their pride and promote equality for the LGBTQIA community. In fact, if you haven’t seen it yet, you might want to check out Josh Hutcherson’s Straight But Not Narrow public service announcement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNqKmd...

And, if you’re interested, you can find out about the history of pride at http://www.nycpride.org/about

A quick search should net a Pride celebration near you. Come on out and join us!

News from Wildwood: Week 16

Lucas and Riley share some domestic bliss, until their adventure in the attic bring unexpected backlash for Riley. Holly finds some interesting leads that might scientifically explain Gaeas, but interruptions and unexpected news from her mother leaves her with more questions than answers. Kaz and his brothers receive a special delivery from a samurai visitor sent by his grandfather, while Quinn makes a new friend in the Grove who can help him control his fire. Elliot is disappointed to learn that his newfound powers do not include reading Darci’s mind. Sharon and Alex work together to test out his perceptive abilities. Raiden calls Hemp a fierce warrior, but she still feels “more like Gabrielle than Xena.” Travis continues to stalk Suya, waiting for him outside the sports awards banquet at school.

Catch up on Week 16: http://theravenscrossing.org/week-16/

During Week 17,

Kaz and Quinn spend time together in the Grove getting to know the dragon and the phoenix. Plus, Morgan and Sharon struggle to control their powers, while Holly continues to find more obstacles than answers at every turn. Don’t miss the adventure.

Week 17 begins June 4th:

message 41: by Amanda (last edited Jun 09, 2012 11:33AM) (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments Coming This Week: June Pride Continues – 6/9/12

Happy Anniversary YA LGBT Books!!

Here’s a little Straight But Not Narrow switch up. Erin Sanders talking about girls who like girls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov7MlH...

And if you missed it, you might want to hear what President Obama had to say in honor of Pride Month this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1ryjd...

A quick search should net a Pride celebration near you. Come on out and join us!

News from Wildwood: Week 17

Open Mike Night at Greene Beans leaves Riley worried about competition for Lucas when he meets the new kids in town. Holly’s nightmares are growing stronger, but Hazel will help her chase away the darkness. Kaz’s father helps him locate a treasure that might give Quinn better control over his powers. Darci and Elliot do a little spying on Jay and Liam. Alex invites Sharon, Holly, and Morgan over for a TGIF movie night while the dads are out of town. A large flock of black birds change into an unexpected surprise for Hemp, and Amelia and Suya have a talk about Travis.

Catch up on Week 17: http://theravenscrossing.org/week-17/

During Week 18,

Lucas and Riley get caught and Kat isn’t pleased. Darci and Elliot continue to explore their ability to spy. Sharon, Morgan, and Holly practice tying up Alex with some interesting material, while Quinn finds out he could have avoided a whole lot of heat if only he would have…well where’s the fun in telling you that? Find out what happens during week 18.

Week 18 begins June 11th:

message 42: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments Coming This Week: The Countdown Begins

There are just two more weeks until our Season 1 Finale. Be sure to drop by http://theravenscrossing.org and catch up on all the action in Wildwood before our 4th of July week fireworks begin. Because, you can be sure sparks will fly at The Ravens Crossing.

News from Wildwood: Week 18

Lucas and Riley attempt the forbidden and get caught in the act. Hazel helps Holly come to terms with her past. Quinn finds a way to fight against his darker impulses by trusting his friends to help him. Darci spies on her parents and learns some shocking news that will turn her life upside down. Alex’s dads let him stay home alone for the weekend for a TGIF movie fest with his three favorite girls. Raiden and Hemp head to The Grove to check on Quinn and find Ea putting out quite a fire. Amelia visits Suya for a talk and sees much more than she expected.

Catch up on Week 18: http://theravenscrossing.org/week-18/

During Week 19, Sharon, Morgan, and Holly practice tying up Alex with some interesting material. Quinn and Kaz are surprised by what they learn from Quinn’s parents, while Amelia goes all warrior princess at The Black Angel. Don’t miss the action!

Week 19 begins June 18th:

message 43: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corlies (amandacorlies) | 109 comments Team TRC is located in the state of Virginia, where most of our state is without power and in a state of emergency due to an unforeseen and very serious storm. I type this entry from the last battery powered WiFi I could find in my area. We apologize for any possible delays in posting our season finale stories this coming week. We will update you as soon as possible.

message 44: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments Amanda wrote: "Team TRC is located in the state of Virginia, where most of our state is without power and in a state of emergency due to an unforeseen and very serious storm. I type this entry from the last batte..."

Best of luck to you!!

message 45: by Andi (new)

Andi Lea (andilea) Derecho, What? Where are Lucas & Riley?

It turns out a derecho is a nasty storm and it hit us hard here in the mid-atlantic region of the United States. Over 3 million people have been without power since Friday. Most of the staff at TRC are without power and clearing their yards of debris. Internet connections are sketchy at the moment.

We apologize again for the delay in posting the Season 1 finale stories. Thankfully, we've been in contact with all of the TRC staff and everyone is safe. Over 700k people in our state are without power, including all of our staff, except one as of a few hours ago.

We'll try to keep updating this week as we get back to our regularly scheduled programming.

message 46: by Andi (new)

Andi Lea (andilea) We are still in recovery mode at The Ravens Crossing. We were able to get most of the staff in one room today, to check in and make sure everyone is safe. Most of us have had our electricity restored, unfortunately some of our staff are still waiting.

It's one day at a time here in the Derecho Zone. Clean up crews are out cleaning up debris.Some areas are worse and others not so bad. Generally, it's a mess. Thankfully, no one at TRC suffered any major damage.

We apologize again for the delay of the Season 1 Finale week. We will keep you updated. And if you happen to live in the Derecho Zone-- we hope you are safe.

message 47: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments Just glad everyone is safe - good luck with the clean-up. (This just builds anticipation, you know ;)

message 48: by Andi (new)

Andi Lea (andilea) The Secret Break In

By West Thornhill, Amanda Corlies, and Andi Lea

Darci looked around. No one saw her as she crept towards the office window. She slipped to the side of the building and checked the window. It was locked and she didn’t see any lights inside. She heard a loud engine and leaned against the wall.

Pulling to the curb, Alex watched Darci for a minute. She was hiding in the shadows looking decidedly guilty about something. He cut the engine and flipped the stand. Then he walked over to where she was doing a craptastic job of hiding.

“What’s up?

Darci jumped. “Oh, crap! You scared me. Don’t do that.”

“Need help or something?” Alex asked.

“Do you know how to break in a window, without actually breaking it?”

“Sure. Give me a sec.” Alex pulled a Swiss army knife out of his pocket and flipped out the flat head screwdriver. “Move over, would ya?”

“That’s handy.” Darci got out of the way. “Do this often?”

“Let’s not talk about that.” Alex grunted a little, but got the latch to pop a few seconds later. “You’re wish. My command.” Alex stepped aside.

Darci pushed the window open and got the screen off. She climbed through, managing not to fall on her head. She stood up and looked around.

Alex slid through the open window right behind her and stood up, brushing off his pants.

“What are you doing?” Suya spoke from across the room.

“Holy shit! Would you people stop scaring me?” Darci blinked, trying to see in the dark. “What are you doing inside Suya?”

“Yea. How did you get in?” Alex wanted to know.

“Keys.” He shook the key ring in his hand, letting them jingle together. “Remember, I’ve been interning here.”

“When you told me to meet you here, I didn’t realize you meant inside, with keys.” Darci laughed.

Alex glared at her. “We are telling nobody about that window!” He pointed behind them.

"Lips are sealed," Darci said running fingers across her lips.

Suya shook his head and kept typing on the keyboard. “There are days that I wonder...”

“So, what’s the plan? Why are we here?” Darci sat down. “Can we turn on a light?”

“No!” Alex said.

“That would be kind of defeating the purpose of this being a secret break in.” Suya sighed.

“Well then, what are we looking for?” Darci watched Suya enter several passwords on the keyboard.

“Good question. And how pissed will Andi, West, and Amanda be if we get caught?” Alex wondered.

Suya kept typing. “They have something important we need to see. And, why are you scared of them? What are they going to do, delete us?”

“You have a point.” Darci laughed. Alex chuckled, too.

Suya found a file labeled “Top Secret.” He doubled clicked on it. Inside was just an image. “What’s this?”

“Wow!” Darci peered at the screen.

“That’s wicked looking. Can we share it?” Alex wanted to know. “Sharon has to see this!”

“I can get into the site, since that’s what I’ve been working on.” Suya pulled up the internet and site. Furiously typing, he signed in. “How do we want to do this?”

“We can make it look like a regular Coming This Week post and put that image up. But, we should probably write something to go with it.” Darci chewed her lip.

“Suya, that’s on you, man. I suck at writing shit.” Alex patted Suya on the shoulder.

“I may be the Editor in Chief of the school paper, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything.” Suya glared at Alex before turning his attention to Darci. “Any ideas?”

“How about... Dear Readers, some of the characters of Wildwood have taken control. We found a top secret file image we think you should see.” Darci looked at both boys.

“Sounds good to me,” Alex agreed.

Suya started typing. “How about this...Hey, we, the characters of Wildwood, have taken over. We found this top secret image you really need to see.”

“I like it,” Darci said and clapped.

“See, I knew you would be good at this,” Alex smiled at Suya.

Suya knew it wasn’t worth it to glare or really respond to Alex’s smart ass remark. “So, is this what we’re going with?”

“Yes,” Darci nodded. “Do it.”

“Okay...here it goes.” Suya hit the publish button on the post after adding in the image.

“Shouldn’t we get out of here, before anyone catches us?” Alex was starting to chew on his thumb nail.

“Can you help me get this window put back together?” Darci stood up and looked at Alex.

“You’re wish. My command,” Alex said.

Suya powered down the computer, stood and stretched. “Are we all going out the door this time?”

“Seems easier,” Darci said and moved out of Alex’s way.

Alex secured the window and put his knife away. “Anyone for some coffee at Greene Beans?”

“I can text the order ahead to Elliot.” Darci pulled out her phone.

“Amelia is already there waiting for me.” Suya shrugged.

“I’ll text blast everyone else to meet us there. We can show them the website all at the same time.” Darci pressed send on her phone.

“Sweet. Sharon’s going to blow a gasket,” Alex chuckled. “Can’t wait to see her face.”

Darci headed out the door while answering a text message.

Suya followed Alex and Darci out the door, closing and locking it behind them.

The Ravens Crossing (13 Book One) by Andi Lea The Ravens Crossing

message 49: by Andi (new)

Andi Lea (andilea) Greetings!

I’m writing to you from our lovely fictional Wildwood.

I have re-joined Amanda and West on our summer vacay. I had to fly out to NYC for a few days. We’re still headquartered at the local bed & breakfast, Sandwich Cottage. It’s a beautiful brick Victorian home owned by Violet Knight (she’s a local Gaea and aunt to Wayde Knight). Ms. Knight, or Violet as she prefers, has a full house with her brother and his family visiting from London.

Sandwich Cottage is located on the corner of Wildwood Avenue and Harlequin Road. We can see the Wildwood High School Campus from the front of the house. It’s been fun to visit all of the places the kids hang out.

Holly has taken us shopping at Hazel’s. Alex borrowed his dads’ PT Cruiser and took us to Oakland Cemetery to meet The Black Angel. We’ve been to the Wildwood High School lacrosse field with Quinn, where he practices with Lucas and Riley. Raiden showed off the soccer field and taught us we’re not good enough to play. We’ve also had a tour of the school newspaper office with Suya and Amelia. Hemp was kind enough to take us out to Hadley’s Organic Farm. Morgan and Sharon took us on a thorough tour of the Broussard Community Center. And to top it all off, Kaz was our guide on a lovely nature walk to the Riverfront. Lucas, Riley, Darci, and Elliot are not here in Wildwood right now. So, we’ve had to rely on the kindness of Jay Greene, Elliot’s older brother, to show us their homes and hang outs.

We’ve been dining at Organically Thrown Pizza, and now we understand why the kids are always eating there. Can you say yummilicious? We’ve had coffee at Greene Beans. We’ve visited The Aviary, the Bandstand, the Grove, and bought fresh produce at The Melon Cauli Market. We’re completely addicted to the Elderberry muffins from Hearty Boys Bakery. The muffins are some kind of local specialty. No one will give us the recipe, so we’re planning to take as many as we can back home with us.

This week we will continue touring the neighborhood, visiting more homes of your favorite characters. We hope you’ve enjoyed the interviews as much as we have. So, be sure to check in each day this week as we wrap up talking with the kids.

West and Amanda are waiting for me to hurry this up. Looks like we’re heading over to Greene Beans for another round of coffee and Elderberry muffins. I’ve got to jet and catch up with those two.

Cheers,
Andi

message 50: by Andi (new)

Andi Lea (andilea) TRC is pleased to announce that we are working with the Straight But Not Narrow (SBNN) campaign! We are really excited to add SBNN to our list of partners. Learn more about SBNN here: http://www.wearesbnn.com/#!about

We are eight days away from the premiere of Season Two! We hope you've enjoyed the break as much as we have. This week we'll be wrapping up what we learned about Wildwood.

There will be some changes occurring on the website as we prepare to launch Season Two, take a look around. We have a new Season One page (http://www.theravenscrossing.org/seas...) which lists all 21 weeks of the stories (this is a good time to catch up). We will also be updating the pages of our main characters, The 13.

Our first few months of reaching out to the YA reading audience has been an adventure. As we get ready to launch Season Two we are looking forward to sharing more "Behind The Scenes" and "Exclusive" content with YA LGBT Books. We want to thank you all for supporting us!

Now, we need to head over to The Hearty Boys Bakery and pick up a very large order of Elderberry muffins to take home. If we could figure out how to take home some pizza from Organically Thrown, we'd do that too.

« previous 1 3