Creative Reviews discussion

Exciting News > My book on a bestselling list on iTunes US

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

The Nature of God 50 Christian Devotions about God's Love and Acceptance by Mona Hanna

My book "The Nature of God" hit no. 104 on the bestselling chart for the category "Health, Mind and Body" in the U.S. iTunes store. To give some perspective, there's about 45,000 books in that category.

I don't want to sound like I'm gloating, but I wanted to mention it because my book's been out for a year, and, after virtually no sales, something's finally happening. My book doesn't sell on Amazon at all, but I finally decide to distribute via Smashwords to the other ebook sites in December. I made my book free for 2 months, then increased the price to 99c about a week ago.

I know I wouldn't have sold a single copy if I hadn't made my book free first. It really worked for me. It's probably not for everyone, but I'm glad I tried it. I don't post comments much on Goodreads, but I read a lot of comments, and know it's so hard to get your book noticed. Maybe my sales won't last long, but I'm so happy! I thought it would never sell.

Have any of you had success with Smashwords? I'd like to hear your stories.

Thanks, Mona

message 2: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Congratulations! I am sure you are over the moon and I salute your good success! Thank you for sharing your experience and what worked for you! Congrats!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks so much, Cambria.

message 4: by Luke (new)

Luke Benoit (httpwwwgoodreadscomlukeinlb) | 19 comments You rock.

I am so happy for you!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Luke

message 6: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Buchanan | 42 comments That's great Mona! I'm glad the strategy worked for you. Congratulations!

message 7: by Devan (new)

Devan Sipher | 5 comments That's fantastic. And very clever. Congrats!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, guys. I'm glad something worked! I tried so many other things.

message 9: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments Nice one Mona! Mine has just started shifting on B&N and Sony after I made it free on Smashwords for a week or two - dunno if sales will drop off again but enjoying it while it lasts!

How did you find out about the bestsellers list, btw?
JAC

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

J.A. wrote: "Nice one Mona! Mine has just started shifting on B&N and Sony after I made it free on Smashwords for a week or two - dunno if sales will drop off again but enjoying it while it lasts!

How did you..."

Thanks, J.A. I'm glad you're having success, too. Being able to make our books free helps a lot.

To check the bestsellers list I look at the iTunes program on my computer. In the iTunes store I first change the country to US, by clicking the flag in the bottom right corner. Then I go to "Books" and pick the "Health, Mind and Body" category. There's a list that says Top Charts, which lists the top 200 paid books.

The iTunes charts change constantly - you could check and then check 5 minutes later, and it could be different. I haven't been on the chart the last couple of days when I've looked, but I think my book's still selling. I'm just DYING to know what the sales figures are, so I'm desperately waiting for Smashwords to update them!

You can also check iTunes for other countries, like the U.K. or Australia, by clicking the flag and picking that country.

Thanks, Mona

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Baxter (smallblondehippy) | 10 comments Wow, that's awesome. I'm planning on bringing out my first book in April and want to make it free. I'm not interested in making money with this one, just getting exposure. Seems the freebie thing works.

Good luck with it all.

Liz

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Wow, that's awesome. I'm planning on bringing out my first book in April and want to make it free. I'm not interested in making money with this one, just getting exposure. Seems the freebie thing w..."

Thanks, Liz. It's good if you can get a bunch of reviews and ratings on a free book, before you raise the price, if you're going to. I have 12 ratings on iTunes and a couple of reviews (all positive, thank goodness), but not much at all on other sites. Maybe that's why on iTunes it's doing well, but not really elsewhere. But I'm ecstatic with how it's doing there! Any sales is amazing.

Thanks, Mona