City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) City of Fallen Angels discussion

Why is it called City of Fallen Angels?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Field What did I miss? Where are the fallen angels?

Sannie Hald Never thought of that o.O

Anna Well Jace and Clary has the blood of the angel. And it's where Sebastian and Jace (which practically were both "angels") became one:)

message 4: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Field Sebastians practically demon. jace has a tiny bit of angel blood, and Clary hasn't fallen. I think CC stretched for a cool title, even tho it didn't really mean anything

Dhvani fallen angels sometimes refers to angels that were cast out from Heaven to Earth, or stretching the definition a bit, demons. So this is probably a reference to Lilith, so the title does mean something.

Jack But Lilith was never an angel.... She was supposedly the first human woman.

message 7: by zara (last edited Feb 20, 2012 03:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

zara no it's nothing to do with lilith. cassandra clare explained it but I can't find the link anywhere. She said the something about everyone falling from grace one way or another. Jace is the best example because he is bonded to a demon.

there aren't any real fallen angels it was a metaphor
lol

message 8: by S.L.J. (last edited Jul 05, 2012 10:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

S.L.J. Los Angeles is the City of Fallen Angels.

There are no fallen angels in the book. It was just chosen because it sounded cool and because there is a tiny similarity to what one of the characters goes through. And because the author wanted to continue the whole 'City of...' thing.

It's not as stupid as the Hush, Hush book titles though.

Alex zara wrote: "no it's nothing to do with lilith. cassandra clare explained it but I can't find the link anywhere. She said the something about everyone falling from grace one way or another. Jace is the best exa..."
I think you're probably right. It makes sense anyways, to me.

S.L.J. wrote: "Los Angeles is the City of Fallen Angels...."

Los Angeles is the City of Angels. Not the City of Fallen Angels.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

J.D. wrote: "Sebastians practically demon. jace has a tiny bit of angel blood, and Clary hasn't fallen. I think CC stretched for a cool title, even tho it didn't really mean anything"

That is true

Melina Probably because CC ran out of ideas to name her fourth book

Rachel Melina wrote: "Probably because CC ran out of ideas to name her fourth book"

No, she wouldn't just randomly spit out a title. I agree with Brianna that it was about falling from grace.

esthermarie Exactly!!!

message 14: by Warner (new)

Warner Fallen Angels still do exist.

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood Plus I think somewere in there when Jace and Clary went to Vanitnes house they found an fallen angle in the cellar that he'd cappsered or something like that

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

No thats in City of Glass

Lilly J.D. wrote: "Sebastians practically demon. jace has a tiny bit of angel blood, and Clary hasn't fallen. I think CC stretched for a cool title, even tho it didn't really mean anything"

Jace is more angel blood then anything correction

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

There all still good titles

Lilly ya no the titles are beautiful they aren't just straight up taken from a page in the book the metaphor and meaning behind it is beautiful very deep

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the covers to... beautiful artwork

Jamie Roeske (*Jam and her TBR Jar*) I agree. The titles are AMAZING! People always dis the titles but what do u seriously want? Half the books out there make no sense and are one word only (ex: Gone, After, Awake) I'm not meaning any disrespect for 1 word titled books but I am simply saying CC's books titles are unique and distinct.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Agreed!

Captain L. J. Turner Sebastian. Pure and simple.

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood Alexandera wrote: "Sebastian. Pure and simple."

huh?

Captain L. J. Turner Ok so Sebastian (born Jonathan Christopher Morgastern ) was an experiment his father worked on. Had he not been born with demon blood he wold have been a darling shadowhunter. But he was not. Demons are in life fallen angels. But the title could also be meant as reference to Lilith as she was meant to be good.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

He would have been a hot shadowhunter... i mean he still is but if he was good more people would have liked him... i liked him in City of Glass before i found out he was bad then i was like Dang it he was so cute.

Maeve you guys are missing the most obvious. the angel wings sent to the institute at the end oof the book? duh

message 29: by Stéphanie (last edited Jan 24, 2014 01:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stéphanie Maeve wrote: "you guys are missing the most obvious. the angel wings sent to the institute at the end oof the book? duh"

no that was in city of lost souls

I agree with what most of the people here are saying, that she indeed meant falling from grace and that jace got bonded to sebastian

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah your right it was in lost souls because it left it wide open for the final book

Lonneke I think it's called City of Fallen Angels because Jace is half an angel and he died in the third book, after Clary brought him back to life again with help of angel Raziël you could see him as a sort of fallen angel. he died, so he went to heaven, but he came back. With fallen angels it's the same, right?

message 32: by Captain L. J. Turner (last edited Jan 25, 2014 07:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Captain L. J. Turner Lonneke wrote: "I think it's called City of Fallen Angels because Jace is half an angel and he died in the third book, after Clary brought him back to life again with help of angel Raziël you could see him as a so..."

No a Fallen Angel was an Angel that in simple terms committed a crime against God and they were banished into 'ell.

Allison Cara wrote: "But Lilith was never an angel.... She was supposedly the first human woman."

I thought she was supposed to be Lucifer's first child/spawn/whatever it's called

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't think she was ever human, but i didn't think she was Lucifers first child... all I know is that I thought that she was in the garden with Adem then God threw her out like a fallen angel almost and then she became one of Lucifers first children... I don't know it i'm right though