The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > General Questions

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10881 comments Mod
The Spring Challenge 2011 will begin on March 1, 2012 and will end at midnight (EST) on May 31, 2012.

If you have a general question about the Spring 2012 Challenge, please ask here.

The Seasonal Reading Challenge Overview may answer some questions about the challenge process and where things are located in the group discussions.

message 2: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) How do I do my Kindle books. I would like to read Confessions of a Bookseller by Robin Soma-Dudley and it's only on Kindle (e-book) version for 5.2?

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17481 comments Mod
Fiona (Titch) wrote: "How do I do my Kindle books. I would like to read Confessions of a Bookseller by Robin Soma-Dudley and it's only on Kindle (e-book) version for 5.2?"

Just post the link and request approval at ebook verification in the General Help folder. It helps if you have some details- smashwords and fictionwise provide word counts, an author's or publisher's webpage, or any other info you may have. That helps speed the process.

message 4: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I just wanted to say congratulations to all the task makers. This is the first season in almost a year where I have to REALLY look for books to fit the tasks. Lately I have been able to fit books I already own and have on my TBR specifically into the tasks. Now I will have to find other means to acquire books.

Thanks for really making this a challenge!

message 5: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3864 comments Not really a question. I noticed when looking at the 30 point task list that the number of and title of 30.2 is missing. That task is run together with 30.1. Took me a while to realize that.

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15678 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "Not really a question. I noticed when looking at the 30 point task list that the number of and title of 30.2 is missing. That task is run together with 30.1. Took me a while to realize that."

Thanks - it was actually there, just the space got removed when I edited a task. fixed now.

message 7: by Chel-c (new)

Chel-c | 21 comments Hi, just wondering if Sticks and Stones considered a word pair??

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Chel-c wrote: "Hi, just wondering if Sticks and Stones considered a word pair??"

Please ask task specific questions in the help thread for that task: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

message 9: by Chel-c (new)

Chel-c | 21 comments Sandy wrote: "Chel-c wrote: "Hi, just wondering if Sticks and Stones considered a word pair??"

Please ask task specific questions in the help thread for that task: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8......"

thanks! I just found the thread

message 10: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments A couple of tasks are very confusing. Is it me or the task descriptions?

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7538 comments Which ones?

message 12: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Dee wrote: "Which ones?"

A couple of tasks in each Point categories/

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Anne, if you ask specific questions in the relevant threads, the mods can know what the concerns are and work with task creators (if applicable) to clarify. I know that someone asked a good question on my task and Sandy updated the description for me based on my response.

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7538 comments If u don't say which ones then I can't say if I find them confusing or not...

message 15: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Jessica wrote: "Anne, if you ask specific questions in the relevant threads, the mods can know what the concerns are and work with task creators (if applicable) to clarify. I know that someone asked a good questi..."

Thanks for the suggestion. Now, why didn't I think of that? I REALLY must be getting old, or have a bad case of brain freeze today ;(

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7538 comments i'm gettin 1090 for the final point total (including the 50 pointer)...does that sound right to everyone

message 17: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Yeah, that's the same tally Kristi posted.

message 18: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Would The Tales of Beedle the Bard be considered a young reader?

message 19: by Dlmrose (new)

★Meghan★ wrote: "Would The Tales of Beedle the Bard be considered a young reader?"

According to the publisher it is aimed at the older elementary audience, but to be safe you should check at the help thread as task creators make the determination.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments We have more 25 point tasks this challenge.

message 21: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Hi,

Is the Green Knowe Series by L.M. Boston considered easy reader?

Thanks!

message 22: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10881 comments Mod
Jayme VA wrote: "Hi,

Is the Green Knowe Series by L.M. Boston considered easy reader?

Thanks!"

It's definitely a book written for and aimed at elementary school children, but it doesn't seem to have the modern early reader accommodations (larger typefaces, more whitespace, etc.). So, technically, no, it wouldn't be considered an easy reader book.

message 23: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 420 comments If a book is written by two authors, and both are Goodreads Authors, can I claim 2 GR authors for that book?

message 24: by Dlmrose (new)

Sandy wrote: "If a book is written by two authors, and both are Goodreads Authors, can I claim 2 GR authors for that book?"

No, Only one ticket per book will be awarded.

message 25: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 420 comments Thanks!

message 26: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Are we getting 20.2 and 20.5 soon?
:-)

message 27: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 07, 2012 09:26AM) (new)

As soon as they're ready they'll be posted

message 28: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments perhaps i'm asking in the wrong place, but i'm wondering what to do if i've forgotten to claim a big book. do i make a new post and refer back to the post that had the big book in it? or is it too late to claim it once it's been posted? thanks for your help! :)

message 29: by Sandy (new)

kiki wrote: "perhaps i'm asking in the wrong place, but i'm wondering what to do if i've forgotten to claim a big book. do i make a new post and refer back to the post that had the big book in it? or is it to..."

Do a new post, with the necessary info, including a link to the actual book you read. Include in your post the info from your first post (task #), post #, and be sure to note that you're reposting to claim a BB ticket.

message 30: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments great, thank you so much, sandy! :)

message 31: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 468 comments Are we not doing review and logo contests this time? Or am I just missing the threads for them?

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7538 comments they are normally posted closer to the end of the challenge I think

message 33: by Dlmrose (new)

Jennifer W wrote: "Are we not doing review and logo contests this time? Or am I just missing the threads for them?"

Posted!

message 34: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 173 comments Maybe I missed this, and sorry if i did, but what are Big Book Tickets and Good Reads Author Tickets?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments Big Book tickets are what you can claim for reading a 500pp book, a 750pp book and a 1000pp book. So if you read a book at least 500pp you can claim one ticket, 750ppp and more and 1000pp and more are 2 tickets.

Goodreads Author tickets are when you read a book that is written by a Goodsread author. 1 ticket per book and if you look on the author page on Goodreads, it will say (Goodreads author).

message 36: by Nicola (last edited Mar 30, 2012 08:11PM) (new)

Nicola | 173 comments Thanks Jayme!
After posting this question I found a few discussions that I had missed and figured it out. I forgot to come back here though - sorry.
I think I am understanding this, but may be back with more questions later!

message 37: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments I'd like some further specification of the Goodreads Author-rule, please.

I've just finished listening to the audiobook Sense and Sensibility, read by Karen Savage, who is listed as a Goodreads author. So, would this qualify to claim a ticket for GR author, even though the book wasn't actually written, but "just" narrated by a GR author?

I feel that a narration gives the book it's own character.

message 38: by Dlmrose (new)

Isabell wrote: "I'd like some further specification of the Goodreads Author-rule, please.

I've just finished listening to the audiobook Sense and Sensibility, read by Karen Savage,..."

Narrators are not eligible for Goodreads author tickets

message 39: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Isabell wrote: "I'd like some further specification of the Goodreads Author-rule, please.

I've just finished listening to the audiobook Sense and Sensibility, read by [author:Karen..."

It seemed dubious for me as well, that's why I asked.

Thanks for the clarification.

message 40: by Coco Kimura (new)

Coco Kimura Hello. I was just wondering when the 50 point tasks will be posted and where to find them. Thanks!

message 41: by Sandy (new)

Monica S wrote: "Hello. I was just wondering when the 50 point tasks will be posted and where to find them. Thanks!"

It will be posted when it's completed. You will find it the same place as all the other tasks - in the Spring Task folder and in a help thread set up for the 50 point task.

message 42: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7538 comments depends on when the person who gets to do it gets it written, sent to the mods etc...that being said, the task help thread just went up...so maybe today or tomorrow ;)

message 43: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Moderators,
I had someone wanting to use
The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle
for a 30.3 task. It does say YA lower down
on the genre list-- but it is mostly shelved as
a children's book.
What would be your ruling on this book?