The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > 15.1 - Spring Forward

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 17, 2012 09:11PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10918 comments Mod
15.1 - Spring Forward
In the U.S., we “spring forward” for daylight savings time and “fall back” when it’s over. For this task, read 2 books:
Book 1 - Spring Forward: Read a book set at least 30 years in the future. Let's be optimistic and assume that the end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it is at least 30 years in the future. Therefore, any book labeled as dystopia, apocalyptic, or post-apocalyptic on it’s main GRs page will fit this task.
Book 2 - Fall Back: Read a book that is set at least 30 years in the past.
Required: If the date is not provided in the GRs description of the book, you must provide it when you post.

message 2: by Kristina Simon (new)

placeholder

message 3: by Kristina Simon (new)

placeholder

message 4: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments I would like to check that the following are fine:

Spring Forward: Zoo City

Fall Back: A Separate Peace

message 5: by Kristina Simon (new)

mstan wrote: "I would like to check that the following are fine:

Spring Forward: Zoo City

Fall Back: A Separate Peace"

Yes, they both work.

message 6: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Would this work for "Fall Back"---

A Walk to Remember by Nicolas Sparks

message 7: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kathy G. wrote: "Would this work for "Fall Back"---

A Walk to Remember by Nicolas Sparks"

It will.

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments Do these both work

Spring Forward:The Knife of Never Letting Go- Dystopian but not sure how to get the year as it isn't in description

Fall Back:Between Shades of Gray Set in 1941

message 9: by Kristina Simon (new)

Sam wrote: "Spring Forward:The Knife of Never Letting Go- Dystopian but not sure how to get the year as it isn't in description

Fall Back:[book:Between Shades of Gray|782432..."

They both work.

Most of the dystopian novels don't have a specific year, but as long as dystopia shows up as a genre on the main book page we're going to assume it's at least 30 years away ;-).

message 10: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Hi Kristi. I was hoping to read 11/22/63 for the fall back part of this task but since there seems to be some time travel back and forth I thought I should get it approved first. Thanks

message 11: by Kristina Simon (new)

Sheila wrote: "Hi Kristi. I was hoping to read 11/22/63 for the fall back part of this task but since there seems to be some time travel back and forth I thought I should get it approved first...."

It sounds like most of the book is set between 1958 and 1963, though, so it looks like it'll work. Sounds good, too!

message 12: by Bea (last edited Feb 18, 2012 09:19AM) (new)

Bea | 3929 comments I am planning On the Beach (spring forward) and The Moonstone (fall back).

message 13: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Must the Spring Forward books be dystopian and set on earth or can books like Anne McCaffrey's Pern series, which is set well in the future according to their timelines, work? I don't have any specific book in mind yet, but was just wondering if dystopia was one of the requirements.

message 14: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Just want to check:

Spring Forward: The Passage
Fall Back: Nobody's Princess

message 15: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinggirl74) | 95 comments Wanted to check:

Spring Forward: Gun, With Occasional Music

message 16: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Thanks Kristi

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Sam wrote: "Spring Forward:The Knife of Never Letting Go- Dystopian but not sure how to get the year as it isn't in description

Fall Back:[book:Between Shades of Gray|782432..."

Th..."

Thanks. I've been wanting to read the Patrick Ness for ages.

message 18: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 274 comments Just for clarification, does the Spring Forward book need to be dystopian? Or simply set 30+ years in the future?

I'm seeing if I can work another In Death book into the challenge.

message 19: by Kristina Simon (new)

Bea wrote: "I am planning On the Beach (spring forward) and The Moonstone (fall back)."

Those look good, Bea!

message 20: by Kristina Simon (new)

Donna Jo and KarenF - No, the book doesn't have to be dystopian. Just set 30+ years in the future.

Anne McCaffrey's Pern series may work. I can't tell from the GRs description when they take place, so you'd need to post that information when you post the task.

JD Robb's In Death series definitely works. I'm planning to work in the next one of those, myself.

message 21: by Kristina Simon (new)

★Meghan★ wrote: "Just want to check:

Spring Forward: The Passage
Fall Back: Nobody's Princess"

That works.

message 22: by Kristina Simon (new)

Jodi wrote: "Wanted to check:

Spring Forward: Gun, With Occasional Music"

It's listed as a dystopia. So, yes, it'll work.

message 23: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments for future The Other Life and for past
Scarlet. do these work?

message 24: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 274 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Donna Jo and KarenF - No, the book doesn't have to be dystopian. Just set 30+ years in the future.

Anne McCaffrey's Pern series may work. I can't tell from the GRs description when they take plac..."

Great! Thanks Kristi!

message 25: by Kristina Simon (new)

JennRenee wrote: "for future The Other Life and for past
Scarlet. do these work?"

Yes, those will work.

message 26: by Judy (new)

Judy | 861 comments For the "future" book, does it have to take place on Earth? I was thinking of Foundation, Zinnia, or a Star Trek book, but I'm not sure those will work. Thanks!

message 27: by Kristina Simon (new)

Judy wrote: "For the "future" book, does it have to take place on Earth? I was thinking of Foundation, Zinnia, or a Star Trek book, but I'm not sure those will work. Thanks!"

It doesn't have to be set on Earth, but the timeline needs to be established as happening in the future. Some books that aren't set on Earth are more of a parallel universe. The "spring forward" book needs to be set at least 30 years in the future (i.e., 2042 or beyond) and the time needs to be stated in order to be verified.

message 28: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments for clarification is it 30 years from now or 30 years from when the book was published? Many of the sci-fi/fantasy from the 50s and 60s dealt with years 2000, 2010, etc, so I just wanted to make sure to pick the right book.

thanks!

message 29: by Kristina Simon (new)

TMBookluvr wrote: "for clarification is it 30 years from now or 30 years from when the book was published? Many of the sci-fi/fantasy from the 50s and 60s dealt with years 2000, 2010, etc, so I just wanted to make su..."

For this one we're going with 30 years from 2012 - so, 2042 and beyond...

message 30: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 597 comments I'm looking at Death Whispers (Death, #1) by Tamara Rose Blodgett which is Dystopian, but set in 2025. So does the 30+ years in the future override the fact that it's dystopian, or would it be okay for this task?

message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments i was hoping to read 1984 but now i'm not sure - it is labelled dystopia though, but it was conceivably supposed to be set in 1984 and written in the 1950's

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments for the romance/sci-fi lovers out there...JD Robb's In Death books work

message 33: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments it that same vein, so are all of the Psy-changeling books by Nalini Singh. they take place in 2085 and on.

message 34: by Kristina Simon (new)

Angie wrote: "I'm looking at Death Whispers (Death, #1) by Tamara Rose Blodgett which is Dystopian, but set in 2025. So does the 30+ years in the future override the fact that it's dystopian, or would it be okay for this task?"

Other way around - dystopia overrides the 30+ years. As long as the book has either the dystopia tag OR is set 30+ years in the future, it'll work. So both Death Whispers (Death, #1) by Tamara Rose Blodgett and 1984 will work for this task.

message 35: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments thanks Kristi ;)

message 36: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 597 comments Ooh, great! Thanks, Kristi. :)

message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 943 comments Will you accept John Marsden's Tomorrow series?
I'd like to read #2The Dead of Night
Dystopia and post-apocolyptic aren't the main listings, but they are listed.

For 30 years in the past, I'm going to go with Vixen

Thanks!

message 38: by Kristina Simon (new)

Chris wrote: "Will you accept John Marsden's Tomorrow series?
I'd like to read #2The Dead of Night
Dystopia and post-apocolyptic aren't the main listings, but they are listed.

For 30 years in the..."

The Dead of Night works. Dystopia and/or post-apocolyptic just have to show up on the book's main front page (top 10 genres).

Vixen works, too.

message 39: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Would The Martian Chronicles work? It's set when the world is on the brink of destruction but is not labelled as such on the page. Thank you.

message 40: by Kristina Simon (new)

Jayme VA wrote: "Would The Martian Chronicles work? It's set when the world is on the brink of destruction but is not labelled as such on the page. Thank you."

No, sorry, I really want to stick with GRs top 10 genres.

message 41: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments That's okay- thanks!

message 42: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments For the 30 years in the past, is it 30 years ago from now or from the time the book was written? Eg. something by Dickens would be set in the 19th century, more than 30 years ago now, but contemporary at the time - would that be OK?

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (moragepona) | 124 comments Will Gone work for the future and Fever 1793 for the past?

message 44: by Kristina Simon (new)

Rosemary wrote: "For the 30 years in the past, is it 30 years ago from now or from the time the book was written? Eg. something by Dickens would be set in the 19th century, more than 30 years ago now, but contempor..."

Thirty years from now. So that would make it 1982 and earlier. Any of Dickens will definitely work. ;-)

message 45: by Kristina Simon (new)

Sarah wrote: "Will Gone work for the future and Fever 1793 for the past?"

Yes, both of those would work.

message 46: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments I would like to read this book Heart of the Huntress for fall backward. the year is not mentioned but it takes place victoria era in England.

message 47: by Kristina Simon (new)

JennRenee wrote: "I would like to read this book Heart of the Huntress for fall backward. the year is not mentioned but it takes place victoria era in England."

Victorian England works.