The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Appropriate ring tones

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments There are plenty of Sci-fi sound effects.
I haven't figured out any for the sword side.
The closest I've come is the
Monty Python "Message for you sir"
arrow for emails. Any suggestions?

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 490 comments That is a tough one. On my last phone I had the tardis sound effect for messages and the Blake's 7 theme tune as my ringtone. Might have to see if I can get the Game of Thrones theme :D

message 3: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments I used to use a clip from Family Guy as my text tone. It was Stewie saying "Time to be bad." Right.now my text tone changes between Mario "Super Mushroom" sound, Mario "coin" sound, Mario up/down pipe sound and XBox Achievement Unlocked sound. My current ringtone is Game of Thrones, but I also use the Maryland Victory Song and Super Mario Bros theme.

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments I have a coworker who used some sound bites from Blizzard's Star Craft game. So his phone says "Receiving Incoming Transmission" every time he gets a text.

Found a soundclip of it on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QaxEb...

message 5: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments I'm annoyed at TNT for using the clip of Worf saying, "Incoming message," since I've had that as my email notification sound for over ten years.

message 6: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Thanks. That gave me some ideas.
Thus far email is the easiest.
I have some good ones for email-
the choice of; a teletype printer,
Star trek communicator being opened, Scifi wobbly
Apple IIe start up and a NASA quindar.
Quindar is that beep at the end of a NASA
Apollo mission transmissions.
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/hskquinda...

I still haven't really found a incoming call tone that
doesn't sound too hokey.

message 7: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Well, you could always go old school with 8-bit remixes.

message 8: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments A Magi ring tone?
I don't think so.

message 9: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 639 comments My ring-tone is a nice simple old telephone ring.
My alarm is the TARDIS.
My message notification is the transform sfx from the 80s Transformers cartoon.

I remember having all kinds of nerdy SFX for Windows system events, startup, shutdown, etc. Now my computers don't make any noise like that all, ever.

message 10: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 639 comments Alex wrote: "I've been rocking the Kim Possible beep and I absolutely love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3nfrG..."

Awesome! My family loves Kim Possible - I've got to use that.

message 11: by Warren (last edited Feb 20, 2012 06:14AM) (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Lots of laser sound effects but not much sword.
The sound of trolls having their heads
lopped off just doesn't make for a great ring tone.
:sigh:

message 12: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Ellis (kapt_kipper) | 65 comments I have a mix of the Turret speech from Portal(2). Hello, Target acquired, is anybody there? Hellooo......

There quite a few variations of it around. The one I have http://fluesoppen.com/music/Turret%20...

message 13: by Jill (last edited Feb 24, 2012 01:01PM) (new)

Jill TNG comm badge noise for texts... makes me smile everytime. And for a very long time I had the Imperial March as my mum's personal ringtone

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments I am currently rocking the BBC Sherlock Irene Adler message tone. I'll be doing that until my mom hears it and I switch back to the G1transforming sound.

message 15: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Thanks. That gave me some good ideas,
I tracked down a website with a slew of Start Trek wav's:
http://www.franksradio.net/startrek/s...

(Future archeologists will be so confused my my cell phone.)

message 16: by Joana (new)

Joana Augusto | 25 comments My text message tone is Yoda stating "A message from the dark side there is". My friends get a kick out of it :)

My ringtone varies between Disney songs: Hakuna Matata, Under the Sea and Arabian Nights. Sometimes even the Gummi Bears theme.

I don't know any good sword sounds except the GoT theme (and it's 8bit version).

message 17: by Doug (new)

Doug (dougoftheabaci) The text is the default iPhone one but my ringer is the Aperture Science logo sound.

I do like the idea of the TARDIS noise as my text alert...

message 18: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments Oooh where'd you get the Aperture Science sound?

message 19: by Doug (new)

Doug (dougoftheabaci) The same place I got the soundtrack:
http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music...

message 20: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 639 comments Love all these - got a kick out of the bloke using the Irene Adler moan from Sherlock! (And Yay to the other person using the G1 Transformers transform sound effect!)

I bookmarked the Trek .wavs page!

message 21: by Christine (new)

Christine (ladysioned) | 32 comments For my ring tone I have the opening Doctor Who music. The tenth doctor season since that is the one I love. Then for txt messages I have the original star trek ship message whistle.

message 22: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 25 comments My ringtone is the Buffy theme song and my text alert "Autobots, roll out!"

message 23: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Osias | 6 comments I have this version of the DoctorWho music that spans all seasons. But I used to have the classic "Thunderbirds" TV show as a ringtone.

I loved it when someone would get this "why do I know that?" look on their face when it rang.

message 24: by Napoez3 (new)

Napoez3 | 158 comments I always use heavy covers for my ring tones. Why? I don't know but I like it.

Now I'm using the GOT intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT0nXR...

and before that I had this one:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/liste...
Pokemon Battle theme (heavy)

message 25: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Old spy spoof movie called Our Man Flint.
The héros phone had a distinctive ring
when the President called him.
You won't mistake that one for a iphone

message 26: by Avri (new)

Avri | 2 comments My ringtones tend to be culled from various favorite Trance tunes, though I also use Bruce Campbell's "Hey, that your mom again?" from the Burn Notice pilot for when my mother-in-law calls.

As for text messages, I like something short. I used to use the Bad Horse ring from Dr. Horrible, but found that to be a tad too long, so now I just use the last three notes from the Dr. Horrible theme (dun dun dun!).

message 27: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (frontline) | 129 comments My ringtone is the TARDIS sound from the orignal series. (how many of you read "from the original series" in comic book guy voice? :P ) Because of this I have learned that the TARDIS noise is HIGHLY annoying to anyone not of the Dr Who fanbase. I would love if I could choose my own text tone. It would be the Legend of Zelda 'discovery' sound. Zelda is full of great noises that would be good fantasy ringers.

message 28: by Doug (new)

Doug (dougoftheabaci) And you can't choose your own ringtone because...? Even if you aren't blessed with a smart phone most phones have bluetooth and if you tell us what phone OS you have (or phone manufacturer) we can probably tell you how to make a custom ringtone.

Then, this is Zelda we're talking about. I doubt you'd have to search hard to find what you want.

message 29: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey | 2 comments IOS doesn't allow custom text tones unless you jailbreak from my understanding. So I assume he has an Iphone. As it is they make you jump through hoops to get a custom ringtone, though I believe it's a little easier these days.

My ringtone is the opening music to BBC's Sherlock, only mildly obsessed with that show ....

message 30: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (frontline) | 129 comments Doug wrote: "And you can't choose your own ringtone because...? "

I chose my own ringtone, the TARDIS sound, but I can't set TEXT tone. Or at least you couldn't the last time I tried. I should look into since there have been a couple updates since then. I know the iphone recently got that ability.

message 31: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Aubrey wrote: "IOS doesn't allow custom text tones unless you jailbreak from my understanding. So I assume he has an Iphone. As it is they make you jump through hoops to get a custom ringtone, though I believe it..."

Well...........
http://www.cnet.com.au/how-to-make-yo...

message 32: by Lincoln (new)

Lincoln Braun (umbrau44) | 6 comments Warren wrote: "Old spy spoof movie called Our Man Flint.
You won't mistake that one for a iphone"

Warren wrote: "Old spy spoof movie called Our Man Flint.
You won't mistake that one for a iphone"

I think they used it in Austin Powers, too.

I have a Legend of Zelda sound that Andrew may be referring to. I found it at crackberry.com: http://crackberry.com/search/node?key...

The files should work on any phone, not just a BB ;)

message 33: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (frontline) | 129 comments I have a Windows Phone. And I did some checking, you still can't do custom text tones.

message 34: by Doug (new)

Doug (dougoftheabaci) Andrew wrote: "I have a Windows Phone. And I did some checking, you still can't do custom text tones."

Wow. That's... Unfortunate. Way to hamstring yourself, Microsoft. From what little experience I have with WP7 I think it's rather nice.

message 35: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (frontline) | 129 comments It's a minor quibble. If I'm honest, my phone is on silent 95% of the time anyway. Ringtones are a neat way to express yourself, but mostly they just annoy people around you. Not worth it IMHO. I almost never hear ringtones anymore. Mostly just the buzzing of a vibration.

message 36: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) I always assign special ringtones and then, like Andrew, have my phone set to vibrate 95% of the time. :)

That said, here's my current setup.

Primary ringtone - 2nd season theme song to Jeremiah/Firefly theme song (This bounces back and forth depending on my mood

My coworkers are all assigned the Spathi theme from Star Control 2 because I have strange coworkers :)

My husband got assigned the Thraddash theme from Star Control 2 because I have a strange husband and he listens to this all the time :)

Texts - Gir (From invader Zim) yelling 'Hi There'

Nothing exceptional assigned to anything else.

message 37: by Doug (new)

Doug (dougoftheabaci) That just gave me the most evil idea: Specific text for your husband should be GIR saying, "Make me a sammich!"

message 38: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments Aubrey wrote: "IOS doesn't allow custom text tones unless you jailbreak from my understanding. So I assume he has an Iphone. As it is they make you jump through hoops to get a custom ringtone, though I believe it..."

sure you can, I do it all the time and I'm not jail broken. In a nutshell, you convert a clip or a short (<30 seconds for ring, about 5 seconds for text) to AAC, then change the extension to m4r and open in iTunes. I have a TON of ringtones in this way. I'm looking for high quality original Zelda sounds to make tones...seen a lot that come close but don't quite meet what I'm looking for. But it's very easy to make custom tones for iOS.

message 39: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (capnhp) | 8 comments I have had the last three versions of the Doctor Who theme as my ringtone for as long as I could add a custom ringtone to my iPhone. My text alert is R2D2.

message 40: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Not nerdy but for a long time I had The opening to "Renegade" by "Styx" set as my ringtone. Just the first 6 lines. But it was awesome. It always made the bank tellers laugh if I got a call while I was there.

message 41: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments My current ringtone is from Portal 2 from a link in this thread. My text tone is also from Portal. Next week I will change it to the Game of Thrones theme, either the 8-bit version or the full version.

I have a bunch of Portal sounds for text tones, the 360 Achievement Unlocked sound (which is nice and quiet, good for work), Days Go By (the song, I rally like it), a bunch of Mario tones (from the CD that came with the 25th anniversary edition of the game they released for the Wii), and then some sounds from various iOS games...I bought the Indie Music Bundle too and some of the tracks were perfect for text/ringtones instead of music I'd want to come up while shuffling through my music.

message 42: by Doug (new)

Doug (dougoftheabaci) If you find an 8-bit version of the Game of Thrones theme I'd personally appreciate a link.

message 43: by Nate (new)

Nate (thatsdruidic) | 60 comments I lifted the female peasant from Warcraft 3 for my text tone, she says "greetings m'lord" in a slightly saucy way, it's excellent.

message 44: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments Doug wrote: "If you find an 8-bit version of the Game of Thrones theme I'd personally appreciate a link."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxc0EQ...
http://www.digitapp.com/#/2011/videog...

I actually knew I had it, but forgot to make it a ringtone. Then I went to Google and looked and digitapp did it for me.

message 45: by Usako (last edited Apr 04, 2012 06:12AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 49 comments My friends' ringtone is Ghostbusters.
My father's (based on his generation) is the original BSG theme song.
My brother's is the new BSG opening preview (the Cylon string repeated) b/c what sibling trusts their own sibling? ;)

If I download new ones, I'm likely to hunt for classic FF victory song for text messages. But I may do what an earlier poster mentioned regarding ST combadge sounds.

Course, I have the Tribble scream as an alarm.

message 46: by Hunter (new)

Hunter (hunterthestarwarssaga) | 14 comments Doug wrote: "And you can't choose your own ringtone because...? Even if you aren't blessed with a smart phone most phones have bluetooth and if you tell us what phone OS you have (or phone manufacturer) we can ..."

WP7 the TEXT alert tone can't be set to custom (that the internet knows of)

message 47: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments http://io9.com/5899223/the-music-of-g...

I took a couple of these for ringtones.

message 48: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments My two bosses have the Jetsons doorbell melody.

message 49: by Leeandlaura (new)

Leeandlaura Sword and Laser podcast theme tune as a ring tone would be pretty cool, though I'd probably delay answering the phone!

message 50: by Dave (new)

Dave Irwin (dave_irwin) | 36 comments FOR THE HOARD! was my ring tone for a while before I went back to the boring normal phone ringer

« previous 1