The Sword and Laser discussion

Out of ideas? Try the Storymatic!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin (last edited Feb 17, 2012 03:15PM) (new)

Kristin Fritchman | 8 comments For all you aspiring writers out there, I saw this today on the GeekDad blog and thought it was pretty nifty.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/02/...

I know for me at least, it's a lot easier to do the world building part of a story than to actually come up with a compelling story--Part of the reason I ended up skipping NaNoWriMo this year. I had (I thought) a great setting and some characters, but nothing for them to do. Anyway I thought this might be a neat thing to try next time you're stuck or looking for some easy inspiration in a story/novel/pen and paper RPG campaign/campfire.

message 2: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 919 comments That is neat. Since I'm an app. nut, I'm going to look for an app. that does that. Thanks!

message 3: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 919 comments I found this app available for the iPhone, iPod and iPad.

http://www.figapps.net/

message 4: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4135 comments Wow, I've wanted to do Nanowrimo but never have an idea that grabs me. This might help me if I decide to do it this year.

message 5: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Please don't feel obliged to write "something"
just for the sake of writing. There are already
plenty of people doing just that.

message 6: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Warren wrote: "Please don't feel obliged to write "something"
just for the sake of writing. There are already
plenty of people doing just that."

Many people play piano and even compose music for their own personal enjoyment without the intent to sell it to others. The same can be done with writing. For many its just a personal exercise to see if they can do it and not so much a delusion of grandeur. Though I'll agree there is a lot of crap out there but that tends to happen in all creative fields.

message 7: by Warren (last edited Feb 18, 2012 06:23AM) (new)

Warren | 1556 comments I just sat through too many "I want to be a novelist but don't like to write" discussions. Nanowrimo would be great if people didn't also insist on others reading what came out the other end.
I agree about the personal pleasure aspect. Its like singing. I hope that people enjoy it but don't feel they have to do so in public. ;-}

message 8: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments Warren - I disagree. One of the most wonderful things about the current self publish ebook age has been the flood of talent that would never have been seen before. I look at the volume of unique and creative stories coming out now, compared to prior decades, and I am astounded.

So I say, you have a story - tell it. If others in enjoy it, then that is a compliment. If others enjoy it well enough to pay you, then that is a career.

message 9: by Warren (last edited Feb 19, 2012 08:42AM) (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Just because the book I'm currently reading
was self published doesn't mean I approved
of the concept.
;-}
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of,
but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.
~Robert Heinlein

message 10: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Fritchman | 8 comments Warren wrote: "I just sat through too many "I want to be a novelist but don't like to write" discussions..."

Wow, is that an actual thing? People want to write long fiction, but hate writing?
For me at least, I love writing, but all I usually ever get to do is dry, technical stuff for work. It's good to have a creative outlet just for personal enjoyment, even if the finished product is still crap. I think of it as macaroni art for adults.

message 11: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Perhaps you should start a separate thread for literary karaoke.