Jane Austen discussion

General Discussion > Favorite Missing Scene: P & P

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (juleseemimi) | 95 comments As a follow-up to the lovely thread on "Favorite Moment from Pride and Prejudice" I was thinking about what I always missed from adaptations of Pride and Prejudice.

I always wished to see the scene in Ch 10, Vol 1 when, out for a walk, Caroline is teasing Darcy about his admiration for Elizabeth and they happen upon Mrs Hurst and Elizabeth out walking.

I want to see Darcy trying to include her, but she skips happily away.

Here's an excerpt from that scene:
"Then taking the disengaged arm of Mr. Darcy, she left Elizabeth to walk by herself. The path just admitted three.
Mr. Darcy felt their rudeness and immediately said, --
``This walk is not wide enough for our party. We had better go into the avenue.''

But Elizabeth, who had not the least inclination to remain with them, laughingly answered,

``No, no; stay where you are. -- You are charmingly group'd, and appear to uncommon advantage. The picturesque would be spoilt by admitting a fourth. Good bye.''

She then ran gaily off, rejoicing, as she rambled about,..." :)

message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments This is a really good idea :)

And yes that scene would have been good!!!
Also, I would have liked the bit when Darcy asked Lizzie whether she would be inclined to dance a reel , when at Netherfield during Jane's illness, as he is sort of asking her to dance. Then we would have had him refuse her, her refuse him, and then finally they dance :) <3

Also I would, as in all adaptations of the novels, would like to see scenes after the couples, here Darcy and Lizzy , get engaged . I p and p I love the parts in the book when they have to go out walking together and it's really good cause they are engaged and no one knows and they can talk and stuff :)
And love to see the part where Lizzy says how they have already decided between that they will be the happiest couple in the world!! And also when Darcy goes to ask permission to marry Lizzy! And so just generally after they are engaged cause they are all happy after that! And there a quite a few chapters after the one where they get engaged in the book :)

message 3: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Also!!! Sorry just had to add!
The meeting of them in the scenes before he proposes for the first time, like when she unexpectedly meets him again and again! And how he walked back with her !! <3

message 4: by J. (new)

J. Rubino (jrubino) | 196 comments I wish that the screen adaptations would include the scene where Mrs. Bennet is told of Elizabeth's engagement. "Ten thousand a year...I shall go distracted!" It's a great, comic scene for the right actress especially when balanced against her dour reception of Darcy when he returns with Bingley to Netherfield.

janetility.com

message 5: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments J wrote - 'I wish that the screen adaptations would include the scene where Mrs. Bennet is told of Elizabeth's engagement...'
Yes i agree as it also shows how Mrs Bennet's accepted him as a son in law as she was against him after his behaviour and slighting Lizzy and she would not have known the truth - but alas! their just isn't enough time in the films...

message 6: by LadyDisdain (new)

LadyDisdain I kind of wish they'd show the reactions of Mr. Collins and Lady Catherine and Miss Bingley on their receiving the news of Darcy's and Lizzy's engagement. can you imagine the comic incredulity on their faces? Miss Bingley would be delicious livid X)

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Lady Distain wrote - 'I kind of wish they'd show the reactions of Mr. Collins and Lady Catherine and Miss Bingley on their receiving the news of Darcy's and Lizzy's engagement. can you imagine the comic incredulity on their faces? Miss Bingley would be delicious livid X)'
YES! that would have been great - i love that chapter as JA goes through all the characters with their reactions! and the best last line ever! 'With the Gardiners they were always on the most intimate terms. Darcy, as well as Elizabeth, really loved them; and they were both ever sensible of the warmest graditude towards the persons who, by bringing her into Derbyshire has been the means of uniting them' <3

message 8: by LadyDisdain (new)

LadyDisdain I know! I love that line, too. I thought the Gardiners were perfectly cast in the BBC adaptation. And I liked the Mr. Gardiner in the 2005 version as well. He was so warm and friendly. And nothing against 2005 Mrs. G. but the BBC Mrs. G. was way too perfect for me.

message 9: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments LadyDisatin wrote - 'I know! I love that line, too. I thought the Gardiners were perfectly cast in the BBC adaptation. And I liked the Mr. Gardiner in the 2005 version as well. He was so warm and friendly. And nothing against 2005 Mrs. G. but the BBC Mrs. G. was way too perfect for me.'
Couldn't agree more. out of interest, which Mrs/Mr Bennet do you prefer?

message 10: by LadyDisdain (new)

LadyDisdain Oh! So hard to choose!! Brenda Blethyn (did I spell it right?) is so good! But then so is the BBC one. Everytime she opens her mouth I cringe - she's got that high-pitched voice that makes the hair on your neck stand up. I love them both! Don't make me choose.
Although I have to say that in the 2005 version Mrs. Bennet seems a bit more motherly (you can see she does it all for love of her daughters)than the BBC one. But then again I do think that the 2005 version is bit more vibrant and vivid and 'full of life'compared to the BBC one.

message 11: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Yeah I agree with what you have said and I won't make you choose ;)
What about the other Bennet girls in 1995 vs 2005? (I may start a thread on this...)

message 12: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments In fact I have started a thread on this - see general :)

message 13: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (last edited Feb 25, 2012 02:56PM) (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 673 comments Mod
J. wrote: "I wish that the screen adaptations would include the scene where Mrs. Bennet is told of Elizabeth's engagement. "Ten thousand a year...I shall go distracted!" It's a great, comic scene for the righ..."

I would love to see the scene right after the one you mention--when Mrs. Bennet sees Mr. Darcy again and is so awed by him. Mrs. Bennet speechless!?!? And then she treats him totally differently.