Darynda Jones Fans discussion

TGDA Book Discussion > Day 3~ Characters Oh What Characters

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, Founder (new)

Dana Alma (readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
Do you find the characters convincing? Are they believable? Compelling? Are they fully developed as complex, emotional human beings?

message 2: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments I'm very curious about how Donovan will evolve along the story. So far Charley is totally believable (even though she is the grim reaper!), Cookie is very motherly and her uncle steps in as father figure. Charley's father and stepmother feelings seem more hidden, similarly to Reyes, and I don't fully understand why they do what they do. To me, the main characters are evolving in a believable way and react as I think any human would do; their feelings seem pretty real. I wouldn't mind (at all) to actually meet a couple of them, Artemis included - my dog would be delighted!

message 3: by Candie (new)

Candie (candiegyrl) | 350 comments Mod
For me, that is the driving force behind a good book. Well that and the plot. ;-) Charley and Cookie are so likeable and down to earth (despite Charley's otherworldness) that's it's easy to get wrapped up in their world. And Reyes...well Reyes is the BIG BAD and I'm a sucker for a bad boy. hehe

message 4: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Ines wrote: "I'm very curious about how Donovan will evolve along the story. So far Charley is totally believable (even though she is the grim reaper!), Cookie is very motherly and her uncle steps in as father ..."

Ines, you said it well.

I love the series partly because Charlie and Cookie's relationship is so real. They accept each other, joke, have fun, borrow from each other, rely on one another and support each other. It is every girl's dream friendship.

Even Charlie's dad and stepmom seem real...I mean who hasn't at least witnessed a friend suffer similar familiar issues.

Reyes is the other reason I love this series. He has many layers and we are just beginning to delve into them. Kudos to Jones for writing real-life, intriguing characters.

message 5: by Dana, Founder (new)

Ines wrote: "I'm very curious about how Donovan will evolve along the story. So far Charley is totally believable (even though she is the grim reaper!), Cookie is very motherly and her uncle steps in as father ..."

Yeah, Donovan will be one to watch!

message 6: by Dana, Founder (new)

Candie wrote: "For me, that is the driving force behind a good book. Well that and the plot. ;-) Charley and Cookie are so likeable and down to earth (despite Charley's otherworldness) that's it's easy to get wra..."

Oh, that Reyes has me wrapped around his finger. I'd wrap myself around other parts if I could! ;-)

message 7: by Dana, Founder (new)

Mel wrote: "Ines wrote: "I'm very curious about how Donovan will evolve along the story. So far Charley is totally believable (even though she is the grim reaper!), Cookie is very motherly and her uncle steps ..."

I have a friend like Cookie and it is one of the most positive relationships I've had in my life. I second your Kudos, Mel.

message 8: by Candie (new)

Dana wrote: "Mel wrote: "Ines wrote: "I'm very curious about how Donovan will evolve along the story. So far Charley is totally believable (even though she is the grim reaper!), Cookie is very motherly and her ..."

My BFF and I have been friends since 2nd grade and have a bond stronger than sisters. Even her husband is flabbergasted at how we are so alike. I don't know what I would do without her. Sometimes water is thicker than blood. :-)

message 9: by Dana, Founder (new)

Candie wrote: "Dana wrote: "Mel wrote: "Ines wrote: "I'm very curious about how Donovan will evolve along the story. So far Charley is totally believable (even though she is the grim reaper!), Cookie is very moth..."

I agree 100%, Candie!

message 10: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments I forgot to say I quite enjoyed the title of today's topic: "Characters Oh What Characters" :)

message 11: by Dana, Founder (new)

Ines wrote: "I forgot to say I quite enjoyed the title of today's topic: "Characters Oh What Characters" :)"

Thx Ines, I want everyone to send in questions they are interested in discussing.

message 12: by Annii (new)

Annii Hey everyone! I've been so busy with school so I haven't been on goodreads at all!!
Donovan is interesting, maybe even a lil shifty.
But my favorites will always be Charlie, cookie and Reyes :)

message 13: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments I'll think about more questions, but Mel summarised them quite well on "Day 1-TGDA Book Discussion" topic:

Finally, we discover Garrett is alive and her guardian is the dog. I feel joy for Garrett's life but stress. I am left with too many questions until the next book. Why can the little ghost girl get close to Charlie but the dog will not let Garrett into the room? What is going to happen with Garrett? Will he remember his conversation with Charlie? Will he remember hearing the angels? Will he have special powers? Can humans see the dog? My OCD personality can't handle this.

Garrett has a special something because Darynda said she was planning on writing about him in the end of the 4th book. Then how will Artemis protect Charley? Will it be against demons or also against people? Will her father stop being so stupid? How big is Donovan role here? Will Charley ever meet Rocket's sister? Is Reyes planning some revenge on Charley because she told Kim about Walker? Will they actually act like boyfriend and girlfriend at some point? Will we see Ubie and Garrett fight over Cookie? And please, please tell me the 4th book will be published in 2012.

Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) | 609 comments Mod
Mel wrote: "Ines wrote: "I'm very curious about how Donovan will evolve along the story. So far Charley is totally believable (even though she is the grim reaper!), Cookie is very motherly and her uncle steps ..."

Ines and Mel, I completely agree. Darynda has created a realistic world with supernatural aspects and for someone who would love to have the supernatural in her own life the series strikes so many chords. We all want (and hopefully have) a friend like Cookie is to Charley. Someone we can confide to about anything and will accept us unconditionally. Dayrnda also brings in the most human of struggles (the abuse, familial betrayals, etc) that our characters must face-these speak to so many of us either through our own experiences or those of people we are close to and add to the realism of the characters and the series.

message 15: by Dana, Founder (new)

Annii wrote: "Hey everyone! I've been so busy with school so I haven't been on goodreads at all!!
But my favorites will always be Charlie, cookie and Reyes :)"

She'sssss back! I was thinking about you today!

message 16: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Ines wrote: "I'll think about more questions, but Mel summarised them quite well on "Day 1-TGDA Book Discussion" topic:

Finally, we discover Garrett is alive and her guardian is the dog. I feel joy for Garrett..."

Thanks again Ines...I hope for Cookie and Ubie! Maybe Garrett and Charlie's sister? If not, someone else...I really like Ubie with Cookie. I would love for Donovan to become a really good friend and support for Charlie...no love triangles please. Did Jones say no triangles or just no triangles with Garrett, Charlie, and Reyes?

I look for Reyes and Charlie to have more problems to work out in the next book. Sorry gals, but she can't just forget what he did and he has trust issues. They have to work it out and it realistically may take a few more books. I hope we get another book this year too.

message 17: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Annii wrote: "Hey everyone! I've been so busy with school so I haven't been on goodreads at all!!
But my favorites will always be Charlie, cookie and Reyes :)"

Studying stinks!!! Too much time from fun but it is worth it in the end. Keep up all your hard work, Annii!

message 18: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Traci wrote: "Mel wrote: "Ines wrote: "I'm very curious about how Donovan will evolve along the story. So far Charley is totally believable (even though she is the grim reaper!), Cookie is very motherly and her ..."

Nicely said Traci:)

message 19: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Candie wrote: "Dana wrote: "Mel wrote: "Ines wrote: "I'm very curious about how Donovan will evolve along the story. So far Charley is totally believable (even though she is the grim reaper!), Cookie is very moth..."

Candie, you are very fortunate...:)

message 20: by Candie (new)

Thanks Mel. I tell myself that all of the time. :-)

Mel wrote: "I hope for Cookie and Ubie! Maybe Garrett and Charlie's sister? If not, someone else...I really like Ubie with Cookie. I would love for Donovan to become a really good friend and support for Charlie...no love triangles please..."

I'm for Cookie and Ubie too. They would make a great couple and both deserve someone wonderful (which they both are). Ubie was asking about Cookie in TGDA so maybe in book 4 we'll see something between them.

Charley and Reyes do have so much to work out, I think it will take a few more books (hopefully because that will be a few more for us to look forward too).

message 22: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Traci wrote: "Mel wrote: "I hope for Cookie and Ubie! Maybe Garrett and Charlie's sister? If not, someone else...I really like Ubie with Cookie. I would love for Donovan to become a really good friend and suppor..."

I am so hoping Jones is moving toward an Ubokie. Book 3 held many hints...they both also stayed with Charlie at the hospital. Did anyone else find it odd that her uncle and best friend stayed with her and not her own father and sister? Perhaps more clues for books to come?

message 23: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Mel wrote: "Traci wrote: "Mel wrote: "I hope for Cookie and Ubie! Maybe Garrett and Charlie's sister? If not, someone else...I really like Ubie with Cookie. I would love for Donovan to become a really good fri..."

I kept thinking "where is her dad?" when she was at the hospital but now I wish he hadn't gone there. I didn't think about her sister though... Cookie and Ubie are her most trustworthy friends and really care for her. They would "build" the family Charley needs! Hehe

Mel wrote: "I am so hoping Jones is moving toward an Ubokie. Book 3 held many hints...they both also stayed with Charlie at the hospital. Did anyone else find it odd that her uncle and best friend stayed with her and not her own father and sister?..."

I thought it was fitting that Ubie and Cookie were stayed with Charley at the hospital. They're the ones that are always there for her and I don't see anyway that Cookie would have left her.

What Leland pulled threw me completely! Gemma knew what he was doing and was trying to talk him out of it so that explains why she wasn't with Charley.

message 25: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Traci wrote: "Mel wrote: "I am so hoping Jones is moving toward an Ubokie. Book 3 held many hints...they both also stayed with Charlie at the hospital. Did anyone else find it odd that her uncle and best friend ..."

Thanks for the reminder of what Gemma was doing, Traci. :)

message 26: by Dana, Founder (new)

Mel wrote: "Traci wrote: "Mel wrote: "I hope for Cookie and Ubie! Maybe Garrett and Charlie's sister? If not, someone else...I really like Ubie with Cookie. I would love for Donovan to become a really good fri..."

Very telling!