The outsiders discussion

venting/ranting > Age related to the books you read.

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cate (new)

Cate (mynameisamnesia) So apparently I need to stop reading Young Adult books and start reading more 'mature' books. Really? My mom still reads YA books. I don't think there is a certain age where it becomes 'unacceptable' or 'immature' to read books set for a slightly younger audience. Am I alone?

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie | 44 comments Not at all!!! As long as you're reading something around your level its perfectly fine.

But on the other hand, if you're in high school, and you're still reading Curious George, you might have a problem...

message 4: by Softreflection (new)

Softreflection I think it's perfectly fine to read YA books, it's just today, people decide what they think is right and not right about certain topics. It's unfair how we can't do things we enjoy because of what most think is right. Some people would think it's a bad thing and others not. It's perfectly fine. It is good to change it up sometimes and challenge yourself by getting out of your comfort zone, but no one should take away your right to read what you want! :)

message 5: by Cate (new)

Cate (mynameisamnesia) Kait wrote: "Not at all!!! As long as you're reading something around your level its perfectly fine.

But on the other hand, if you're in high school, and you're still reading Curious George, you ..."

My reading level is most likely quite a bit higher than what I actually read, but I find young adult books to be much more interesting than adult books. It's almost like people think once we become 'adults' we have no imagination, and therefore don't need the fantasy (not nessicarily the right word, but it's all I could come up with.) young adult books provide.

Cat *living for the One who breaths life into me* | 192 comments Mod
My mom is 44 and she read ls YA novels. She loves The Hunger Games, Twilight...... ;) you don't have to be a certian age.

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ (charlie_awesome) | 51 comments Like I read some adult book, and it was pretty much a YA book. The lines are blurry

message 8: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 54 comments Nope. Some YA books can be pretty stupid (Twilight), some can start out amazing and slowly get worse (Maximum Ride, the Hunger Games), and some are, without question, amazing, like Harry Potter, the Mysterious Benedict Society, Un Lun Dun, I Am Number Four, and When You Reach Me. I would say the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness (Wolf Brother, Spirit Walker, Soul Eater etc), but I think those are a bit too creepy and violent to be YA.

Age limits are stupid. I'll read what I want.
I started the Martian Tales Trilogy by Edgar Rice Burroughs, which was written in 1912-ish.
Way over the head of a 13-year old?
Nnnnnnnnnope. I love it!

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon I try to read books that are aimed towards my age group or books that are more complex e.g. Emma, Shakespare etc :)

I honestly think that there shouldn't be age limits to what you should or shouldn't read. If you enjoy books that aren't too easy for you then you should read them :)

I also think that it's good for you to read books that are slightly harder for you to read so that you challenge yourself :)

message 10: by Terry (new)

Terry Holmes | 8 comments I truely believe it all depends on your reading skill level. I know adults who can't read very well while their children surpass them. I have always been an advance reader since I was in 2nd grade. Being an adult now, I still love to go back and read some YA books. I usually choose them when I don't want to think about the book in much details. That way I can just enjoy the book.

message 11: by Cate (new)

Cate (mynameisamnesia) Terry wrote: "I truely believe it all depends on your reading skill level. I know adults who can't read very well while their children surpass them. I have always been an advance reader since I was in 2nd grade...."

I agree with you on that. Reading has always been my strong point. I always could read the harder books without much difficulty in school. Now that I'm an adult, most of the time I just don't feel like trying to read something that is going to make me think too much. Not that all YA books are completely vapid and insipid. Some of them really do make people think. I like those too.

Samantha The Escapist (greatescapist) | 46 comments Mod
When I read I don't want to concern myself with things like my reading level. I read fine, thank you, and if I feel like reading a terribly written book then I'm going to. I once purchased the worst, most bawdy looking romance novel I could find just to see how terrible it was.

When I was away at Uni doing a heavy courseload I took my breaks by reading an age 12 reading level novel called Rowanhood which topped out around 86 pages in large text. It was a nice story and it was relaxing to read.

Does that mean I'm not also more than capable of reading Sense and Sensibility, Jane Eyre and Orlando with little trouble?

I read as a hobby and a hobby is what you want it to be. And I hate how people have a tendency to judge this.

I also love watching Disney movies (especially the princesses), even while I watch all the Oscar nominated movies, the occasional documentary and watch shows like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, none of which are juvenile.

message 13: by Cate (new)

Cate (mynameisamnesia) Samantha wrote: "When I read I don't want to concern myself with things like my reading level. I read fine, thank you, and if I feel like reading a terribly written book then I'm going to. I once purchased the wors..."

I feel the exact same way, about every part of that (including the end about the disney movies). You just say it better than I do. :D

I hate when people tell me I need to grow up because I still like to read books and watch movies meant for a much younger audience. I am grown up, thank you very much. I just know how what I like, and I'm not going to let anyone make me feel bad about it.

message 14: by Ashlie (new)

Ashlie (smashlie17) I'm 20 and I still read YA books, and my mom is 46 and she reads YA books, so... ya.

message 15: by Anastacia (new)

Anastacia (ana3) | 15 comments I still read books like cinderella and books meant for 5 year olds. I also read alot of books for abults and im 15 years old

Samantha The Escapist (greatescapist) | 46 comments Mod
Anastacia wrote: "I still read books like cinderella and books meant for 5 year olds. I also read alot of books for abults and im 15 years old"

Oh I read a couple really cute little kid books I was giving to my neice, one was about a princess and her 12 swan brothers or something and another time was my old favourite that I found called The Balloon Tree, the art is just beautiful in it and it's such a cute story. :3

message 17: by Cate (new)

Cate (mynameisamnesia) Samantha wrote: "Anastacia wrote: "I still read books like cinderella and books meant for 5 year olds. I also read alot of books for abults and im 15 years old"

Oh I read a couple really cute little kid books I ..."

That one about the princess and her swan brothers sounds like something I would love :D