The Giver (The Giver, #1) The Giver discussion

The end of the book

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sophie In the end of the book does Jonas die?
How does the book end?

MizziQ So many threads ask that. I wonder if people realize it's a series. *shrugs* The rest of the "series" doesn't explain much because they're companions. But I would just take it as a stand alone book because it can get frustrating...all the questions, and different characters.

Chloe Kara wrote: "So many threads ask that. I wonder if people realize it's a series. *shrugs* The rest of the "series" doesn't explain much because they're companions. But I would just take it as a stand alone book..."

what is the order of the series?

Chloe Tirzah wrote: "@Chloe The Giver, Gathering Blue, and The Messenger. Jonas is not the main protagonist in the last two, but he does make an appearance."

ok, thankyouu!

Samara Umm,at the end of The Giver, it said that he herd music and felt "them" the community. He knew they were waiting for him, and the baby. It was Christmas time. Jonas said, but he though it was an echo.
I don't understand that part. Was that his community??

Samara I don't understand that part. Was that Jonas's community?? Did he just have to leave the community so the memories spread and when he starts running away then finds a community the same one but it turned to the community's with memories of death, love, loneliness, happiness, etc.

message 7: by Sarena (new) - added it

Sarena Lieder I believe what Jonas was feeling and the fact that he knew that the community was waiting for him was a memory that was put into him. He had that memory but really didn't understand what it was. I don't believe that it was his memory- just a memory that was put into him.... or perhaps it was his memory that was put back into him. Either way, he knew something warm and loving was waiting for him.. and when he saw the Christmas lights, he knew he was "home" -

Samara Sarena wrote: "I believe what Jonas was feeling and the fact that he knew that the community was waiting for him was a memory that was put into him. He had that memory but really didn't understand what it was. I..."

Yahh I kind of understand.

Colette Sheaff When we read the book in class many of the others were disappointed in the ending but i think she did a great job in "leaving us hanging"

message 10: by Madeline (last edited Feb 25, 2012 02:03PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Madeline The ending was like a Twilight Zone moment for me... ;)

Natalie Rayne In 8th grade we did a discussion about the end in class. We decided it's all kind of how you want to look at it. In some ways it seems like he finally got to a civilization but in other ways it seems like he was just seeing things before he finally died. I personally think he found civilization.

message 12: by Tess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tess I have such mixed feelings on the ending of this book. I've read it a few times. The first time, I was sure he had reached a new civilization which would accept him and the baby. The next time I was sure he was dying and the place he had finally reached that welcomed him was Heaven, or somewhere like it. And I flipped back and forth over the years since I read it in 1995.
I just found out it was part of a series, with a final book being written I think this year. Having the books continue really takes away that ambiguity, doesn't it? I'm very disappointed with the rest of the series, so far, and really wish I had never read more.

Colette Sheaff I agree with Natalie, but then I have only read it once so maybe the next time I read it i won't according to what Tess says

message 14: by Dana (last edited Feb 28, 2012 12:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dana Tess wrote: "I have such mixed feelings on the ending of this book. I've read it a few times. The first time, I was sure he had reached a new civilization which would accept him and the baby. The next time I..."

I was told that in the last book The Messenger it answers the question of what happened after (in other words it is not just a whatever you feel happened ...open to interpetation), however I never got that far. When I found the 2nd book had all new characters I was DONE, it was like they just threw the 2nd one in for good measure it may of made more sense if I would of finished the series.

message 15: by Tess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tess Yes, Messenger ties the two books, Giver and Gathering Blue, together. She is also writing a 4th book called "Son" which should be the final book in this world.
Going back to the end of "the Giver." I highly recommend reading it several times. I got something new out of it each time I did. My perception on what happens at the end seemed to change with where I was in my life.
If you like that ability to stay ambiguous, just don't read any of the others.

message 16: by Tess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tess looks like it's expected 10/12 http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

Colette Sheaff Dana wrote: "Tess wrote: "I have such mixed feelings on the ending of this book. I've read it a few times. The first time, I was sure he had reached a new civilization which would accept him and the baby. Th..."
I guess I should try reading the other two books.

Skirmish i was surprise to learn this is part of a series. i've seen this book a lot in second hand book stores and i just picked it up recently. i'm looking out for the other books too

message 19: by Aria (last edited Mar 03, 2012 11:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aria Tirzah wrote: "Read Gathering Blue and The Messenger. You'll find out then. :)"

what do you mean? they are connected stories?? OMG thank you for letting us ignorant people know!! definitely adding them to the top of my list :) ugh i feel dumb! its been one of my favorite books... :/

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Sophie wrote: "In the end of the book does Jonas die?
How does the book end?"

Read Gathering Blue then read The Messenger

Holly Natalie wrote: "In 8th grade we did a discussion about the end in class. We decided it's all kind of how you want to look at it. In some ways it seems like he finally got to a civilization but in other ways it see..."

Same here for 7th grade... Another possible ending could be he went in a circle and came back to the same community but that might be too farfetched...

Sorina I had a teacher explain the ending like this, it says that Jonas is the holder of the memories and if he leaves the town, those memories will be released to the town. What I think happened is that when he left, all the memories came back to the town and when he was experiencing the music, he had managed to turn around and come BACK to the town in which he was trying to leave.

Colette Sheaff I wrote a sequel in witch Jonas rides the red slead in to another town. He finds out that even though it looks prefect, like his community, it too has a hidden dark secret. The moral or purpose was to show that you can't make life perfect.

Lucy ~Graphite Wizard~ I think that he tells a family about his community, and the place is bombed! *happy ending*

Elizabeth Plav The author said Jonas and the baby live. :)

Aurore Kara wrote: "So many threads ask that. I wonder if people realize it's a series. *shrugs* The rest of the "series" doesn't explain much because they're companions. But I would just take it as a stand alone book..."

thanks so much for your information. the Vietnamese edition only gave out the 1st one of the series and it's been 4 years and we, readers, heard nothing about the continuation. i think we need some feedbacks to the publishing company who keep the copyright.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Tirzah wrote: "Tess wrote: "looks like it's expected 10/12 http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13..."

Thanks!"

I just checked her site, and she said the trilogy is "complete". Sorry!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Oops! I was wrong!! She said on her website that she just finished the fourth book in the series! My bad!!

Lea Ann Ahh...I've read The Giver several times and Gathering Blue but not The Messenger. Guess I've got some reading to do!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

My class read it as a group. And a lot of people actually thought he was dead and made it to heaven my uncle who is a 8th grade teacher thought that too. But I thought he made it to elsewhere and he said it was an echo because he never heard music before.

message 31: by Bre (new) - rated it 1 star

Bre You mean its a series? *facepalm* No one ever told me that! This definetly changes somethings.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

The series does not talk about Jonas anymore they are about different utopian societys

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh really oh I havent read the third yet just the first two. But what I meant was its not his story continud on

Lucy ~Graphite Wizard~ BOOM BOOM!!!!

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 12, 2012 01:44PM) (new)

It's not his story continued. Which makes me sad. He is "Leader", but it's not exactly the same. I wish they'd both found a cabin in the woods and found another way to survive or something. -_-

Lucy ~Graphite Wizard~ TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

SpreadYourWings U NEED TO READ THE NEXT 2 BOOKS IN THE SERIES!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVED THE WHOLE SERIES!!!!!! IT IS AMAZING :):):):):):):)

Jonathan Hubbard I LOVE THIS BOOK! YOU GUYS GOTTA READ THIS BOOK!!! :DDDD

Keyonee Mcmullen The giver stays at the community.Then when Jonas try to escape they say that gabe is going to be release. Then later he steals his fathers bike than he has Gabe with him. Then his meomires starts to get weaker an shallow. He starts to get weaker but what kept him going was his memoires about his family,friends,and the giver.Jonas falls off the bike an broke his ankle.
Then Jonas starts to here music an people singing then he sees Christmas lights.

Becca I loved this book but I was upset by the ending.
I read the beginning of Gathering Blue and I didn't really like it as much as the Giver but I will probably continue it soon.

Katie Gianelli If you read Gathering Blue and the Messenger you will get sort of a hint. They aren't necessary sequels becuase they don't continue the story of the Giver but it tells about the civilization in the future if that makes sense. I like how the book leaves the ending up to your own imagination but sort of explains it all out in the companion books

Chin123 I am pretty sure Jonas goes an lives on his own with the baby in the forest!?!
:)