The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1) The Maze Runner discussion

I thought this was just a copy of Ender's Game and The Hunger Games and Incarceron?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amanda This series is definitely different then Hunger Games. I personally haven't read the other two books you mentioned though.

Realistically, you can find similarities between any book you read with something else. That is the nature of art (writing in this case), you get inspiration from somewhere and then tweak it into a new piece of art(in this case story/novel).

David I never really Thought about it but the first book is a lot like Incarceron. but not very much like The Hunger Games.

Chris Freeman You might get better responses to your question if you explain how you think The Maze Runner is like the other books you mentioned.

Olivia nothing like the hunger games just the science fiction

Erika I haven't read Incarceron or Ender's Game, so i can't talk about them.

But with The Hunger Games, i really don't see any similarities.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

First off, I hated Incarceron. I don't mean this offensively, but it was slow, boring, and uninteresting.
The Hunger Games, yeah there are some similarities, but it's different enough that you don't sit there and go, "Why did James Dashner do this?" In fact, I read the Hunger Games before I read The Maze Runner and the entire time I hadn't thought if The Hunger Games at all. :D
Ender's Game I haven't read yet, but I do plan on doing so soon. :)

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ I tried to read Incarceron but I was so confused I gave up. Maze runner was so much awesomer.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Charlotte -awesome&uknowit- wrote: "I tried to read Incarceron but I was so confused I gave up. Maze runner was so much awesomer."

*high five*

Summer Lane It's not a copy of anything. At one point all the stories in the world have been told and people come up with different ways to tell them. People say Michael Jackson invented dance but before him came Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire, and before them it was somebody else. Everything gets reborn, re-popularized, and dies a figurative death before resurrecting. It's like literary reincarnation.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

when i read it i was like hunger games..

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ Isn't every story just kind of repeated? Plus if you read scorch trials you may have a very different opinion

Angelica Bergman Michaela wrote: "It just seemed a lot like Incarceron by Catherine Fisher, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. (Ender's game mostly just because of the way the kids talk)"
I have read them all and there can be some sort of similarity, but isn't that true for the books in the same genre. You could add Divergent to this list too but I enjoy reading these books because of some of the similarities. I enjoy seeing what a author can do to capture me into reading and wanting more. Do I want to read the second book or third book in any of those series you mentioned. Yes! And I already did! I am now waiting for the 2nd book to Divergent.
You make a valid point, but if you like those types of books you'll love reading them all! (Just my opinion)

message 16: by Kalob (last edited Feb 23, 2012 07:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kalob I think it's awesome! And I just want everyone to know - The Hunger Games is kind of a copy of Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. Suzanne Collins even said that she read Battle Royale, loved it, and wanted to make a version for Americans (Battle Royale was originally Japanese). I also want to say that The Maze Runner isn't about the kids killing each other, they do have to SURVIVE, like in The Hunger Games, but they're not that similar, and definitely NOT "a copy".

message 17: by Haidi (last edited Feb 23, 2012 11:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Haidi I don't see any similarities to the Hunger Games. Both books were great and very original

message 18: by Tran (new)

Tran Thu Ender's game is on a different level, though.

Kelly Brigid ♡ No, it's not really like any of the books. There is ALWAYS going to be some sort of similarity between other dystopian novels with Hunger Games, since it is dystopian. lol. I personally haven't read Incarceron (even though I've been wanting to), but based on the description of the book, they're not very similar.

Side note: The author of The Maze Runner, James Dashner said he was influenced for the idea of The Maze Runner from Ender's Game and Lord of the Flies.

message 20: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma This always pisses me off, so just a little fact:

You may think the book SEEMS like the hunger games, but it's not. And the author couldn't have stolen any ideas, because this book was published in 2009, HG in 2008, but it took Dashner 3 years to write this first book. If anything, you should be saying HG is a lot like MR, not the other way around.

message 21: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer I agree. Very much like Ender's Game. I thought Ender's Game was slightly better written though.

message 22: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Wow. I just realised there's someone else out there who has actually read Incarceron...

Mac Dubista Keso The Bibliobibuli v(=∩_∩=) The Maze runner???it's incomparable to hunger games,i loved hunger games more than maze runner,

i still didn't read Incarceron and Ender's game,

are they good???

trilogy?

message 24: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Incarceron is amazing. It is literally my favourite book ever, the characters are funny and awesome. It's about a prison in the future.

Kelly Brigid ♡ The author of The Maze Runner, James Dashner, said that the novel was inspired by Ender's Game and Lord of the Flies.

message 27: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma We already know and you already said that.

Kelly Brigid ♡ Yeah...uh, funny story. I completely forgot I posted that months ago, and didn't bother to look through previous comments before posting that earlier. Whoops.

message 30: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Just buy it? Not that expensive...

Kelly Brigid ♡ It's only $3 on Amazon...or at least it was the last time I saw it.