The outsiders discussion

27 views
venting/ranting > Abortion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cat *living for the One who breaths life into me* (last edited Feb 15, 2012 10:28PM) (new)

Cat *living for the One who breaths life into me* | 192 comments Mod
What are you moral standards on abortion?
Personally I think it is wrong because the 'fetus' isn't really a part of a women's body but is a human being and has as much of a right to live as I do.... But that is just me ;) tell me what YOU think and explain why.... And everyone please respect each other, sometimes on goodreads people get carried away so lets not do that here because I really don't want to have to delete members but I will if it gets out of control..... ;)


message 2: by Shannon (last edited Feb 15, 2012 11:04PM) (new)

Shannon I think that it is wrong because the baby can't speak up for itself!

Abortion is killing another human being.

It sort of annoys me how people can somehow not kill another human being but they can get an abortion.

The 'fetus' is just as human as the rest of us.


Cat *living for the One who breaths life into me* | 192 comments Mod
Amen, you said it, girl!


message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Shannon wrote: "I think that it is wrong because the baby can't speak up for itself!

Abortion is killing another human being.

It sort of annoys me how people can somehow not kill another human being but they can..."


I agree.


message 6: by Finley (last edited Feb 16, 2012 04:22PM) (new)

Finley Mac | 54 comments But if abortion was outlawed, people could die horrbile deaths (including the baby, in some cases) OR it would happen in less sterile places.



Shoot. I just got myself in a huge argument, didn't I? I don't wanna be part of it I don't wanna be part of it I don't wanna be part of it…


message 7: by Cate (new)

Cate (mynameisamnesia) It looks like I'm the only person who feels this way, but I'm not against abortions. If the woman has a good reason (most specifically, if the pregnancy was the result of a rape, or if bearing the child would result in medical problems) then I'm all for it. Now if the woman is just stupid and is always getting pregnant and always having abortions then no, I don't think it's right. The point is, I think there should always be a choice.

I must say, I'm not entirely sure what my choice would be.


message 8: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 54 comments Caitlin wrote: "It looks like I'm the only person who feels this way, but I'm not against abortions. If the woman has a good reason (most specifically, if the pregnancy was the result of a rape, or if bearing the ..."

You're not alone.


Cat *living for the One who breaths life into me* | 192 comments Mod
Allie wrote: "But if abortion was outlawed, people could die horrbile deaths (including the baby, in some cases) OR it would happen in less sterile places.



Shoot. I just got myself in a huge argument, didn't..."

Nah. It is alright. You have your thoughts and I have mine ;) I won't attack you just because you don't agree with me. I wrote this as like a discussion ;) I wanted to understand what other people thought. Although I haven't really thought about how many baby and moms could die in some cases. Interesting ;)


Cat *living for the One who breaths life into me* | 192 comments Mod
Caitlin wrote: "It looks like I'm the only person who feels this way, but I'm not against abortions. If the woman has a good reason (most specifically, if the pregnancy was the result of a rape, or if bearing the ..."

Interesting. Though I don't agree I understand where you are coming from ;)


Samantha The Escapist (greatescapist) | 46 comments Mod
I'm with you Caitlin. I'm very much prochoice and I have been in that position once, nothing bad happened, just an unwanted pregnancy (which was thankfully a false alarm) and I had just moved to another part of the country, I didn't know anyone, I had no money, I had to find a job and a decent place to live etc. The reason I looked into abortion wasn't so much that I was unwilling to bear a child and then put it up for adoption as it was that I was not in a financial or physical position to handle the pregnancy itself.

But even still I am prochoice, I believe that humanity comes from conciousness, mind and independant thought and the fetuses are not biologically human beings (by that definition) until a certain point in the grown of the fetus. This does happen rather early, but not too early to still have it aborted after discovering a pregnancy.

I know mine is the harshest comments in favor of the other side yet in this discussion but I would like to point out that if you want to argue in favor of something that can't speak for itself, it would have to have a mind or thoughts that it wanted to communicate.

BUT I do understand the argument about the human being that child was going to be, I just don't believe that the fetus IS that human being yet. I can totally see an argument about wasted potential, but I disagree with calling it murder or equating it as such.

Cat I'm really sorry if my opinion offends you or shannon or alice, I believe I've expressed myself politely and fairly though. If it is a problem I'd rather not leave the group though, I'll happily lay off the touchier topics from now on if you'd like me to :)


message 12: by Cat *living for the One who breaths life into me* (last edited Mar 02, 2012 10:47PM) (new)

Cat *living for the One who breaths life into me* | 192 comments Mod
Samantha wrote: "I'm with you Caitlin. I'm very much prochoice and I have been in that position once, nothing bad happened, just an unwanted pregnancy (which was thankfully a false alarm) and I had just moved to an..."

no. it is fine. it is your opinion and i wont tell someone to leave the group just for expressing their opinion. :) you didn't offend me.

the entire point in this group is so we could express ourselves and give our opinions politely and not everyone is going to think that same. :)


message 13: by Shannon (new)

Shannon @ Alice (message 4):

:)


message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, let me just start off by saying abortion is a sore spot for me, so if I come off as harsh or rude, it truly isn't intended and I apoligize in advance if I offend anyone.

With that said:

I'm definetly Pro-Life.

People argue a lot that the child is just a fetus, it isn't technically a "person," yet. Even if that were true, the fetus will grow up. What if Beethoven was aborted? Or Abraham Lincoln? Or Albert Einstein? Where would the world be without these incredible people never getting the chance to roam the earth? Just think of the millions of babies who've been aborted, what if one of them would have changed the world, should he/she had been given the chance to live. What if one of those fetus' would have, one day, been the person to cure cancer.

The only time I could ever see abortion being an acceptable thought is in the case of rape. I understand that's a cert difficult place for someone, but even then, I still have to say even under those circumstances I feel abortion is wrong, bit I can understand considering it, but there are other options, for instance, adoption. That's always a great option.

Abortion is dangerous. Period. Abortions can affect you in a million, differnt ways. From everything to depression to death and/or loss of future children.

Virginia is trying to pass a bill that States that all women must have a ultra-sound before abortion. A lot of people are against it saying that the bill was simply trying to guilt-trip them out of an able ration. To which I must reply so what? Is abortions are acceptable than you shouldn't feel guilty.

Ps I also apoligize for any typos, it's very late here and I'm on my Kindle Fire, which, unfortunatly has a built in, spell checker.. that sucks horribly. Haha

You know what I don't understand? In America (I'm not sure about other countries) if you kill a pregnant woman, you'll be charge with a double-homicide, but it's completely acceptable to abort a child. That makes no sense to me.


message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma | 55 comments Heaven wrote: " Okay, let me just start off by saying abortion is a sore spot for me, so if I come off as harsh or rude, it truly isn't intended and I apoligize in advance if I offend anyone.

With that said:

I..."



I couldn't have said it better, this was exactly what I was going to say! :)


Samantha The Escapist (greatescapist) | 46 comments Mod
Heaven I believe the would-have-could-have of the fetus at the early stage is moot because it's still not that yet. Everything is capable of affecting everyone and just because the fetus with the potential to be the next einstein wasn't aborted doesn't mean it won't grow up in a world where it can't become that anyway. And if we're talking moral standards based on potential, how do you know that fetus won't grow up to be a murderer or rapist? The coin has two sides here.

If, for example in the position I was in, I chose to bear the child I thought I was pregnant with it wouldn't have been a healthy pregnancy, my body would have been under a lot of stress and eating poorly with no money, probably having to walk a good distance to work or something, and still trying to go to school and getting very little sleep. I had no one to take care of me when it came time for the baby to come so I would have been going to the hospital alone. So this unhealthy baby comes into the world and for what? Just to be adopted? I know adoption isn't bad but my one experience personally is that my mom put her firstborn up for adoption and she grew up in an abusive family. They all treated her like an outsider and the father hit her, only her, none of their other kids. I think adoption is a great and necessary thing and fully plan to adopt if i ever decide i actually want a kid but it's not like a guaranteed perfect solution.

So I'm just curious, in my position in a new part of the country without a single person there or nearby that I knew (I'm in canada so it's not a small distance that I traveled) and no money and still looking for a place to live, if that baby had existed what should I have done? Or rather in the same position what would you have done?


message 17: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 54 comments Samantha wrote: "And if we're talking moral standards based on potential, how do you know that fetus won't grow up to be a murderer or rapist?"

I heard that Hitler's mother considered abortion.


ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ (charlie_awesome) | 51 comments I'm not sure what to think about abortion. I think it is terrible to kill a fetus, and it's like killing a living thing, but if abortion is illegal, there will be under-the-table abortions that could hurt the mother too, since they are not official.


message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma | 55 comments Allie wrote: "Samantha wrote: "And if we're talking moral standards based on potential, how do you know that fetus won't grow up to be a murderer or rapist?"

I heard that Hitler's mother considered abortion. "


that was random... and in that case I actually think she should've done it... I don't like abortion at all but in some cases it may be necessery, if the kid grow up in a family where nobody wants it and maybe even hates it, because maybe the parents or mother is sick ( mentally), abortion can be considered. cause it's not fair to let the baby come into our world unwanted. but if it's someone who just haven't used a condom and gets pregnant out of stupidity wants to do an abortion even though she has money and everything. my opinion is that you don't use abortion as contraceptives! there is value in every life, even if it's a fetus and it dies and you get pregnant again it will never become the same baby...


Samantha The Escapist (greatescapist) | 46 comments Mod
You make it sound like one would have to be mentally ill to simply hate children :P I've never liked kids, including when I was one and I'm proud to say I know myself well enough to know that I would not be an ideal parent. Sure I'm responsible and great at keeping things alive (aside from some plants I forgot to water) but I just don't like to play with kids, or hug them, or talk to them. And I don't really find them cute...

Also keep in mind that not all accidental pregnancies are the result of someone being stupid and not using the condom. Sometimes the condom fails or sometimes if you're sleeping with someone you shouldn't trust they might actually lie about applying the condom. This actually happened to my friend and I could hit her for letting it happen. My false alarm was simply a condom that seemed a little funny which lead to the fear, which lead to stress, which lead to a very very late period, which lead to a pregnancy test.


message 21: by Emma (new)

Emma | 55 comments I didn't mean to express it like that... you're right you don't have to be ill to not like children and all that you says is true. I have only seen it from that POV but I guess you can never say if it's wrong or right to do an abortion cause the reasons are different for everyone!I only mentioned one way of seeing it... but guess you're right.

and side topic, I'm damn bad at keeping plants alive too...:P


message 22: by Emma (new)

Emma | 55 comments sorry!


message 23: by Connor (new)

Connor (connork) The only case I think abortion is ok is if the fetus was in a bad position and not killing it would kill both the mother and child. Other than that, if you really don't want your kid, give it up for adoption. There are plenty of good people out there willing to do that.


message 24: by Connor (new)

Connor (connork) Allie wrote: "Samantha wrote: "And if we're talking moral standards based on potential, how do you know that fetus won't grow up to be a murderer or rapist?"

I heard that Hitler's mother considered abortion. "


Yup! and all 4 of Hitlers siblings died. 3 older as infants and the youngest later... don't remember when, why, or how.


message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Samantha wrote: And if we're talking moral standards based on potential, how do you know that fetus won't grow up to be a murderer or rapist?

That's true, but my point is you don't know what the child could have been because it was never given a chance to be anything.

Everything is capable of affecting everyone and just because the fetus with the potential to be the next einstein wasn't aborted doesn't mean it won't grow up in a world where it can't become that anyway.

I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that like if Einstein was aborted someone else would have eventually come along who accomplished the same things he did? Because if you are, that isn't necessarily true. Or are you talking about reincarnation or something? Because if you are, I'm a Christian.

I know adoption isn't bad but my one experience personally is that my mom put her firstborn up for adoption and she grew up in an abusive family.

Open-adoption. That allows you to basically choose the family your child will live with. I realize that even this isn't a perfect solution, but you have to realize what your saying.

Are you saying that it would be better if your sister had been aborted? I sincerely hope not. I don't know your relationship with this girl or how old she is or anything but I bet if you ask this girl if she would have wanted to be killed, she going to say no (Unless she's suicidal, in which case she's needs help).

So I'm just curious, in my position in a new part of the country without a single person there or nearby that I knew (I'm in canada so it's not a small distance that I traveled) and no money and still looking for a place to live, if that baby had existed what should I have done? Or rather in the same position what would you have done?

That's a hard situation and I don't mean to offend you or make you feel bad, or anything.

With that said:

I would have kept the baby. It would have been very difficult, but I would have figured something out. Whether that meant moving back in with my parents or having to juggle 3 jobs. Abortion will never be an option for me.


message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Charlie I luv Gale Hawthorne wrote: "I'm not sure what to think about abortion. I think it is terrible to kill a fetus, and it's like killing a living thing, but if abortion is illegal, there will be under-the-table abortions that cou..."

Actually even "official" abortions can be dangerous.


message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Ty wrote: "Allie wrote: "Samantha wrote: "And if we're talking moral standards based on potential, how do you know that fetus won't grow up to be a murderer or rapist?"

I heard that Hitler's mother considere..."


That's kind of more talking about the death penalty than abortion.


message 28: by Daphne (last edited Mar 04, 2012 11:42PM) (new)

Daphne Delacroix For me, it depends on how you got pregnant in the first place, your age, the kind of people you have to support you, and a few other factors.

If it's rape, if youre below sixteen, and/or if you have absolutely no one to help you, things like this, then an abortion is okay. However, if it's a drunken mistake, or not being careful with your boyfriend, and you're above sixteen, then abortion is murder, in my opinion. You deserve it, it was your mistake, and if everyone abandons you, well then, tough luck. Suck it up and make up for your mistakes. Your child should not suffer for what you did.


Samantha The Escapist (greatescapist) | 46 comments Mod
Heaven wrote: " I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that like if Einstein was aborted someone else would have eventually come along who accomplished the same things he did? Because if you are, that isn't necessarily true. Or are you talking about reincarnation or something? Because if you are, I'm a Christian."


Just dropping by to answer that one point since I am drastically outnumbered in my pro-choice views and I'm a little tired of holding down the fort by myself, plus I already explained everything I can about my side. I believe a woman has rights with her own body and that the baby is not a sentient being until the point where abortions are no longer permitted anyway. And that is a firm belief.


But no Heaven don't worry, I definitely haven't forgotten that most of you seem to be quite christian and though I do believe in reincarnation (if anything at all) what I meant was nature vs. nurture. Anyone in the world could have all kinds of potential but whose to say they're growing up in the proper environment? We could currently have a future Einstein (who was, for the record, a tiny bit of a jerk, a huge fan of frequent casual sex and the scientist upon whose work was based the creation of nuclear bombs) growing up in Ethiopia without a proper chance at education, or maybe the child is already dying. Just because this child's nature is to grow up as a genius doesn't mean it's nurture will ever give it the chance.

The same could be said for any child born in the first world too, ever child born and every family they end up with is a wild card. Even if the future Einstein is put with a loving, caring family, maybe they'll put it into sports instead of pushing academia and it'll still grow into something else, rendering the point moot. The combination of events that create a full developed person are so random I really don't see any sense in trying to predict it at all.


message 30: by Emma (new)

Emma | 55 comments Cat wrote: "Ty wrote: "sorry!"

it is okay. you didn't know. i give out warning though :) but for aviding any future problems would you please read Group Rules. it explains all the rules. i would like everyone..."


good, I will read them :)


message 31: by Emma (new)

Emma | 55 comments Daphne wrote: "For me, it depends on how you got pregnant in the first place, your age, the kind of people you have to support you, and a few other factors.

If it's rape, if youre below sixteen, and/or if you ha..."


I get what your point is, it's kind of the same track I'm in on... but just to suck it up cause it's your mistake, yes. but what if you don't wanna suck it up and you know you can never be a good parent and the baby grows up unwanted and unhappy, I think that's not worth it. I don't really know, I'm pretty torn here cause I would NEVER do an abortion no matter what but then I think of my sick sister she did an abortion without my approval but now I try to understand why everyone else supported her. so I just wanna discuss with you guys cause I feel like I've gone against my previous arguments here...


message 32: by Samantha The Escapist (last edited Mar 05, 2012 09:52AM) (new)

Samantha The Escapist (greatescapist) | 46 comments Mod
Ty wrote: " I don't really know, I'm pretty torn here cause I would NEVER do an abortion no matter what but then I think of my sick sister she did an abortion without my approval but now I try to understand why everyone else supported her. so I just wanna discuss with you guys cause I feel like I've gone against my previous arguments here...

This is a good spot for that :) One thing you need to accept is certain pro-life vs. pro-choice arguments will never be rectified, if you want to argue over the rights the unborn child has while some believe they are non-sentient and others believe they are human beings from conception. It's not wrong to kill something that isn't truly living so the argument here is really just about who is right and is the pre-aborted fetus alive?

If your sister truly didn't believe she was killing anything than you can take comfort in her doing what you see as unforgivable without any malice of intent. When someone believes something just as strongly as you, even if you disagree, sometimes the best thing is to simply accept their choices.


message 33: by Emma (new)

Emma | 55 comments Samantha wrote: "Ty wrote: " I don't really know, I'm pretty torn here cause I would NEVER do an abortion no matter what but then I think of my sick sister she did an abortion without my approval but now I try to u..."

yeah I should accept it I know that... but the fetus is actually alive it can drink and pee and hear after like 1.5 months or something...


message 34: by Samantha The Escapist (last edited Mar 05, 2012 12:05PM) (new)

Samantha The Escapist (greatescapist) | 46 comments Mod
Ty wrote:...

And at what point in the pregnancy did she get it aborted? I don't think this is a matter so much of accepting abortion as a whole since I see how against it you are, but you should try to accept what your sister did FROM your sister's point of view. Accept her intent and motivation for how she saw them and at least forgive her for it since she clearly didn't see it as doing something wrong.

And to be fair plants can metabolize energy as well but we eat those, animals are certainly alive. Whose to measure the value of one life against another? It's a matter of sentient, self-aware life I think in this case.


message 35: by Cate (new)

Cate (mynameisamnesia) I agree with Samantha completely, and some of you are really starting to annoy me with your 'suck it up' attitudes toward the two of us, so this is likely the last time I will be stopping by this discussion. I really need to learn not to get involved in something that I *know* is going to make me mad in the end.


Samantha The Escapist (greatescapist) | 46 comments Mod
Caitlin wrote: "I agree with Samantha completely, and some of you are really starting to annoy me with your 'suck it up' attitudes toward the two of us, so this is likely the last time I will be stopping by this d..."

I agree :) I'm backing down now too. I feel like I've fully represented my firm pro-choice views by the sheer volume of my text despite the overwhelming numeric disadvantage we pro-choicers had in the discussion ^^

But having been in a position in my life where I chose abortion (and didn't end up needing it) I don't feel completely insulted by the "suck-it-up" attitude, Heaven was decent enough to admit the sitution I was in was a tough one, and even though her actions would have been different from what I was willing to do, it was based on a beleif that the choice to abort is wrong while that is not my belief.

I've felt comfortable enough within this debate, outnumbered though I was, to admit that I have considered abortion and though I know how most of you feel about it, I do not feel that I was tarred and feathered for such a revelation.

So adieu on the topic, and if anyone has some questions for me directly about anything I've said I more than invite a private message and I'll be happy to answer ^^


message 37: by Daphne (new)

Daphne Delacroix Samantha wrote: "Caitlin wrote: "I agree with Samantha completely, and some of you are really starting to annoy me with your 'suck it up' attitudes toward the two of us, so this is likely the last time I will be st..."

Caitlin wrote: "I agree with Samantha completely, and some of you are really starting to annoy me with your 'suck it up' attitudes toward the two of us, so this is likely the last time I will be stopping by this d..."

Hi guys! =D I know you guys are probably getting mad. I'm sorry for whatever some of us may have done to get you so irritated. I get where you're coming from, because I don't believe in lack of choice either. I'm just also adding, that with right comes responsibility. If you have the right to an abortion, you also have the responsibility to think it through, and consider your child as well as the situation. You cant just have an abortion and back out of the responsibility of a child because you're afraid. You have to think it through as well, and be a little selfless

Anyways, AYE AYE CAPTAIN! Truce, everyone? =}


message 38: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Berry | 15 comments I found out I was pregnant when I was eighteen. For me, abortion wasn't an option. It has been a long, hard road, but in the end, everything has turned out ok. I have a beautiful little boy who has brought so much joy and laughter to my life. For me, I made the best choice based on my circumstances.


message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Tiffany wrote: "I found out I was pregnant when I was eighteen. For me, abortion wasn't an option. It has been a long, hard road, but in the end, everything has turned out ok. I have a beautiful little boy who has..."

Awww.... :) Good on you. :D


message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Samantha wrote: "I'm with you Caitlin. I'm very much prochoice and I have been in that position once, nothing bad happened, just an unwanted pregnancy (which was thankfully a false alarm) and I had just moved to an..."

I can see both sides of the argument. Sometimes abortion is good and sometimes its not. I respect everyone's opinions toward this and we all have different thoughts about it. :)


message 41: by Shannon (new)

Shannon @ Tiffany:

That's sweet :)

@ Alice:

Now that I've thought about it, it can be both good and bad. If you got pregnant because of your own stupidity then you shouldn't get an abortion but if you have been raped or something then you should. But, if you don't want to then that's your choice :)


message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

@ Shannon

I'll second that! :D


message 43: by Emma (new)

Emma | 55 comments Samantha wrote: "Ty wrote:...

And at what point in the pregnancy did she get it aborted? I don't think this is a matter so much of accepting abortion as a whole since I see how against it you are, but you should..."


she was in the 13th week, and now when I think about it you're right in a way that I could'nt see before. and thank you also you've actually helped me by showing me other POVs to see this. I think I will forgive her for this but her abortion is linked to other stuff she's done that is much worse. sorry if I'm annoying but it feels good to talk about it cause I have only told one of my closest friend but I like to talk to people that can't see me and know me...


Samantha The Escapist (greatescapist) | 46 comments Mod
Ty wrote: "sorry if I'm annoying but it feels good to talk about it cause I have only told one of my closest friend but I like to talk to people that can't see me and know me...


Don't be sorry! Why else would we all have joined a group called The Outsiders if not to support each other on tough subjects?


message 45: by Emma (new)

Emma | 55 comments Samantha wrote: "Ty wrote: "sorry if I'm annoying but it feels good to talk about it cause I have only told one of my closest friend but I like to talk to people that can't see me and know me...


Don't be sorr..."


well thanks for your support then! :)


message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

:D


message 47: by Emma (new)

Emma | 55 comments Cat wrote: ";) group hug :)"

yeah! *hugs you all*


message 48: by Ashlie (new)

Ashlie (smashlie17) Ok, so first of all, I am totally pro-life. I read an article by some scientists who said that if abortion is legal, then AFTER-BIRTH abortion should be legal, because it is morally the same. So they basically said it there, that it is the same as murdering a newborn to have an abortion. They said that since a person isn't a person until they are old enough to think and take care of themselves, then it was okay.

When my mom was pregnant with me she got toxoplasmosis and the doctors said that I would probably not live, and if I did then I would be horrible disfigured and mentally retarded. They asked my mom if she wanted an abortion and she said no way. She would love me no matter what. I ended up being just fine. No disfigure or mental problems. I am perfectly normal. So I am just saying that when someone says a good reason to abort is if the baby or mother is going to die, well no one actually knows the future. What happened with me was proof of that.

Now if I were pregnant and I was told that I would probably die, then I would still give it a chance, because like I said, no one knows the future for sure. I would give my life for my child. If someone told me that my child was going to become a murderer or rapist, then I would still give them a chance at life. I don't believe that it is my place to take someones life, no matter what the circumstances.

Most women don't find out until 4-6 weeks that they are pregnant. By the 4th week of pregnancy the structures that eventually form the face and neck are becoming evident. The heart and blood vessels continue to develop. And the lungs, stomach, and liver start to develop. By the 5th week there are the first signs of a beating heart. The circulatory system is the first system to develop and your embryo is beginning to show the signs of looking like a baby. Arms and leg buds are continuing to grow and fingers are beginning to develop. By the sixth week the internal organs have formed and the baby's heart has been beating since the end of the 4th week.
You can see pictures and descriptions of the fetus for each week of pregnancy here: http://www.squidoo.com/pregnancy-pict...


message 49: by Samantha The Escapist (last edited Mar 09, 2012 04:42PM) (new)

Samantha The Escapist (greatescapist) | 46 comments Mod
Listen I'm really not trying to be a jerk or tell you your view is wrong and I swore I'd stop posting here but I once read an article by a scientist that swore up and down that trans fat prevents cancer.

Supermarket aisle tabloids contain about 2 - 3 articles confirmed by "scientists" every week.

What does "scientist" even define as? What credentials do you need to be called one? I'm just trying to tell you to question these things that claim to be backed by science because that's the world's oldest, most popular buzzword. It's vague but it sounds important.

And if only one example of what that scientist says can be found, question it even harder. Companies are always paying the "scientists" to stamp their name on a product the public maybe stopped buying or something, or just to tell people what they want to hear.

Again, not a comment on the topic at hand, nothing to do with abortion, just that the red flags shot up at the fact that you seemed to be saying the truth of everything was in an article a guy wrote calling himself a scientist. And by the way, morality is subjective and honestly not really up to any one person to decide, definitely not something to be factually presented under the guise of science.


message 50: by Ashlie (new)

Ashlie (smashlie17) That wasn't even a big part of the point I was trying to make. I was just pointing out how horrible it was that someone could think that way. Of course I know that just because a scientist says so it doesn't mean it's true. If I thought like that then I guess I would have to believe in evolution and stuff too, wouldn't I. My point in posting that one part was basically to show, hey see how horrible it is that some people think that way? I mean, what if everyone thought that way? It would be horrible, right? My opinion is that abortion is as bad as killing a baby, though.


« previous 1
back to top