The Three Musketeers The Three Musketeers discussion

asking

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Romuel Reyson (new)

Romuel Reyson good afternoon everyone
i was planning to read three musketeers and i would just like to ask if
there is any particular version that you can recommend for me to read...
thanks for the help....

Old-Barbarossa The one published by Penguin is probably the best.

message 3: by Romuel Reyson (new)

Romuel Reyson Old-Barbarossa wrote: "The one published by Penguin is probably the best."
is it the one that is translated by Lord Sudley?

Old-Barbarossa Not sure who did the trans. of the top of my head.
Steer clear of the Oxford World Classics editions of any of the Musketeer saga...annoying notes that give major spoilers and a fairly pedestrian trans.

Trekscribbler Erm ... yeah, I've read it from Penguin Classics, too, but I couldn't tell you who's credited with the translation. Sorry.

Patrick Fay It depends on what you are looking for. Most of the modern translations leave out or heavily edit a disturbing scene. If you want to read something close to the original, you will want to look for an older translation.

Old-Barbarossa Patrick wrote: "It depends on what you are looking for. Most of the modern translations leave out or heavily edit a disturbing scene. If you want to read something close to the original, you will want to look fo..."

Is this the "All cats..." chapter?
I think you'd really need to read it in French to get it (I haven't), I've found that the older (Victorian) trans. edit or abridge scenes more than the more modern trans. due to the whole morals/censorship thing. I wish Robin Buss had done a trans of 3M, did a cracking Count.

Patrick Fay Yes - that is the chapter I am talking about. I have an English translation printed around 1900 that has it in far more detail than the modern versions I have read. The detail was not flattering to D'Artagnan - seems a clear case of rape to me - so I assume that is the accurate version which has been suppressed

Old-Barbarossa Patrick wrote: "Yes - that is the chapter I am talking about. I have an English translation printed around 1900 that has it in far more detail than the modern versions I have read. The detail was not flattering ..."

...changes the whole way you view Milady. Makes it a different book.

Marko The most honest translation was done by Pevear in 2006. My bit about it here:

http://susimetsa.blogspot.com/2011/08...