The outsiders discussion

venting/ranting > Divorce

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cat *living for the One who breaths life into me* | 192 comments Mod
Did you know the divorce rate is 44 percent? Wow, that is almost half! It is sad that so many marriages every year end in divorce just because people don't want to work things out..... What's your opinion?

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon I think that it's sad :(

People shouldn't get divorced!! :(

If they end up getting divorced then they shouldn't have gotten married in the first place!!!

Yeah, plus if the couple has kids it is REALLY hard on them :( I knew this girl in like 1st grade. Her mom was Christian and her dad was Jewish, the divorced when she was young and now (she is in 9th grade) she is athiest :(

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Yeah :( Poor girl :(

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

It is sad to see that 44% of people do get divorced. My parents have been divorced for my whole life, and you get used to it, I guess. It is hard on some families but sometimes, its for the better, you know?
I'm not saying it's always good to divorce but if your not happy with your wife/husband, then what would you do?

I didn't know the statistics for divorce were that high. wow, its really shocking to see. :(

yeah.
i am not trying to put anyone down or anything. i am not trying to say that anyone who gets a divorce is bad but sometimes couples dont always work things out well :)not saying that is the case for your parents and i wouldnt know what it is like to be a kid of parents who are divorced.
and yeah, sometimes it is for the better. like in my friends case, it is hard for too people of different relgions to stay married.
i just wished some people would try to work things out better. :) not everyone has the same senario and i dont know everyones reasons for getting divorced, so dont take it as i am trying to come off judemental because that isnt my intention :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Cat wrote: i just wished some people would try to work things out better. :) not everyone has the same senario and i dont know everyones reasons for getting divorced, so dont take it as i am trying to come off judemental because that isnt my intention :) "

I agree, everyone's situation is different.

message 9: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 54 comments Well'p.
My parents are divorced and it's been this way for years.
They don't live too far from each other, and I switch houses every two days. They cooperate fine, too, and I really wouldn't have it any other way.
It's almost like having two lives, sort of.
At Dad's, we watch Star Trek: TNG all the time because he has the actual disks, but at Mom's I usually watch My Little Pony: FiM or sometimes Doctor Who but we've finished season five AND SEASON SIX ISN'T ON NETFLIX YET!

message 10: by Cate (new)

Cate (mynameisamnesia) I had this long message written out... but it got deleted! Goodreads is giving me more things to rant about.

My parents seperated when I was 4, but they didn't get divorced until I was 12, and only then because my dad wanted to get remarried. I don't think people should get divorced (unless it's an abusive relationship, in which case I don't think they should have gotten married in the first place) but if they're going to get divorced, just do it. Don't wait 8 years and finnaly decide to get divorced because you want to marry a... trying to think of a way to decribe my stepmom without swearing, but I can't think of anything, so I guess I'll just leave it at that.

message 11: by Shannon (new)

Shannon I'm sorry :(

Caitlin wrote: "I had this long message written out... but it got deleted! Goodreads is giving me more things to rant about.

My parents seperated when I was 4, but they didn't get divorced until I was 12, and onl..."

Sorry about that!

Allie wrote: "Well'p.
My parents are divorced and it's been this way for years.
They don't live too far from each other, and I switch houses every two days. They cooperate fine, too, and I really wouldn't have ..."

I am happy you are used to it and that they don't like fight. I knew this girls whose parents were divorced and they still can't stand to be in the same room together X(

message 14: by Steven (new)

Steven | 19 comments Cat wrote: "Yeah, plus if the couple has kids it is REALLY hard on them :( I knew this girl in like 1st grade. Her mom was Christian and her dad was Jewish, the divorced when she was young and now (she is in 9..."

Her being athiest might not be because of her parents' divorce, she just might not believe.

Steven wrote: "Cat wrote: "Yeah, plus if the couple has kids it is REALLY hard on them :( I knew this girl in like 1st grade. Her mom was Christian and her dad was Jewish, the divorced when she was young and now ..."

Yeah but I still think cause she has gone kinda depressed and all

message 16: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Sherman (kendall_sherman) | 32 comments This is bad!!!! It makes things especially harder if the people that get divorced and they have kids b/c it upsets the kids and somtimes makes them mad at their parents.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Divorce isn't always a bad thing. People have mentioned that if someone's going to get a divorce than they shouldn't have gotten married in the first place... Let me just say, people don't get married with the intention of getting divorced afterwards. Obviously, divorce sucks, but it's better than being in a relationship where your both miserable. All though, I have noticed that parents tend to try to stay together no matter how much they don't like each other, because apparently staying together and making everyone's.life a living Hell is somehow better than divorce.

message 18: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Sherman (kendall_sherman) | 32 comments Heaven wrote: "Divorce isn't always a bad thing. People have mentioned that if someone's going to get a divorce than they shouldn't have gotten married in the first place... Let me just say, people don't get marr..."

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from here, it isn't always bad but it isn't always good either...

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Kendall wrote: "Heaven wrote: "Divorce isn't always a bad thing. People have mentioned that if someone's going to get a divorce than they shouldn't have gotten married in the first place... Let me just say, people..."

True, some people will get a divorce at the first sign of trouble.

I think W.C. Fields said it best:
"If at first you don't succeed try and try again. Then quit. No use in being a fool about it."

Of course, you should try to keep your marriage together, but if it gets to the point where you've exhausted all of the options and you're still miserable, divorce is probably the best way to go.

Also, I have to amend my first comment. Divorce is NEVER a good thing, but sometimes there are worse things, like continuing to partake in a clearly failed marriage.

message 20: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Sherman (kendall_sherman) | 32 comments Heaven wrote: "Kendall wrote: "Heaven wrote: "Divorce isn't always a bad thing. People have mentioned that if someone's going to get a divorce than they shouldn't have gotten married in the first place... Let me ..."

Sometimes people also don't think about what they're doing when they get married in the first place they don't think ahead to what their life will be like once they are married and they turn out simply miserable...

Samantha The Escapist (greatescapist) | 46 comments Mod
My parents seperated for a year ish actually. They got back together after that year and seem to be good. The problem with their relationship is that my mother feels trapped, she's been a housewife for most of her time with my father but around the time I was 15 (I'm the youngest) she began to push for independence. Dad has been on her about her spending for their whole marriage but if mom stays at home caring for the kids and helping out with dad's company (without getting paid because they share all the money) how do you quantify how much money she gets just for spending?

So around the time that all her kids were too old to need her she had a wee midlife crisis and got a job. Now after getting back to work and getting money again for the first time in ages she's beginning to seek independence in many other ways. My father is a bit oppressive and very infuriating. There is no arguing with him and he is quite literally never wrong unless he's accused of having a problem about never being wrong. I could write pages about him and I won't bore you with it :P He's very annoying to be around and controlling but he DOES have a heart of gold and loves us both more than anyone should be able to love.

Suffice to say that my mom's sudden change came as a shock for him because he had no idea she'd been upset all this time (she probably didn't even know) and they're butting heads in all kinds of ways now because my mom is standing up for herself in the relationship.

When I turned 16 i sat them both down and told them that if they're upset I don't want them to stay together just for me, I'd rather them happy and I honestly won't be that affected by it since they're both still important to me as individuals. (the family had already been through a divorce from my mom's previous marriage which resulted in my brother well before I was born, and I knew that they'd always made sure the kids never knew anything was wrong. They did a very good job of it)

Anyway I`m 23 now and after a lot of rough patches I`m living on my own and they seem to be doing great without me in the mix for some reason. I think they sort of used me as a pawn or excuse to hurt eachother now and then but without me the balance is restored.

I guess the point is I have a pretty healthy view of divorce, adults should know how to be mature enough to keep any kids that are involved from suffering. BUT I suppose a lot of time there is a correlation between the maturity of the people involved and the decision to enter into a flawed or difficult marriage.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

When childrens parents divorce some think that it was their fault that they broke up, which is not a healthy thought for younger children.
When my parents broke up nearly 4 yrs ago, I was actully happy. There wasn't anymore fighting or yelling.
My mum sent me to this person to talk about my feelings. She asked me questions like 'Do you think the break up was your fault?' So I talked to her for about a year.
My mum never got back together with anyone, my dad did, he had like 5 girlfriends throughout the years my parents havent been together.
At the moment my dad is in England with his current girlfriend and her daughter.