Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Crippled God (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #10)
This topic is about The Crippled God
Malazan Book of the Fallen > The Crippled God Book I-He Was A Soldier

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (last edited Feb 15, 2012 08:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
So much to talk about...lol!

Cotillion and Edgewalker--this reminds me that there are still so many unresolved mysteries..who the hell is Edgewalker? WE can tell he has some enormous knowledge, but all we see here is Cotillion's grace under pressure...

Calm the Forkrul Assail-some strong himts re the 'Chained one'--the Forkrul are apparently not quite the neutrals they think they are...

The Tiste Liosan-I read this and thought about hypocrisy. This Kadagar and his treatment of his people..no wonder Osserc is not to be found..for we do know he is alive-yet elsewhere...

and The Crippled God himself-the stirrings of compassion, the mercy of death..

is the annihilation of humankind really the answer? Is there no hope against greed and corruption? Can humankind never learn?

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Frist, I have to say this book has so many OMFG moments, so many HELL YEAH moments and so many TEARFUL moments that you will by the end need a tissue! And yes you too Lee!! I swear if you do not tear up at least ten times Lee, I'll buy you the next SE book! :O

...I think the very beginning of this book really says it all, but you know it not!

"When I win, I still lose" is what Cotillion says to Edgewalker and that is the heart of this book!

We finally come face to face with the Forkrul Assail, which if you remeber I told you guys waaaaaaay back when to pay attention anything and everything pertaining to them! We will learn more then we will care to about these b*stard of a people! ANd what Tavore has been fighting towards all this time...something way bigger then for the self!

Love, love, LOVE this book!!!

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Oh yeah, how could I forget about the Shore and the Watch!! That is a great story line and I think I hear thumping in the forest!! :)

message 4: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

and also right off the bat how we see storylines from both Bottle and QB, even though it appeared they had been killed...SE up to his old tricks! are they dead or alive??? RAFO!

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments I thought the glimpses of Cotillion and Shadowthrone were really interesting in this book. It was like they were actually giving us real clues and insights into what was going to be happening, even if it was just something big is coming, get ready for the ride.

And Shelly, you should be happy to know, that I did cry several times while reading this book. For some reason, the epilogues really caught me. Maybe I was really sad to have reached the end of this amazing journey.

Great, great book.

message 6: by Shelley (last edited Feb 16, 2012 12:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Amelia wrote: "I thought the glimpses of Cotillion and Shadowthrone were really interesting in this book. It was like they were actually giving us real clues and insights into what was going to be happening, eve..."

AH! Amelia you finished TCG already???? :(

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Maggie wrote: "and also right off the bat how we see storylines from both Bottle and QB, even though it appeared they had been killed...SE up to his old tricks! are they dead or alive??? RAFO!"

I almost forgot the scene with Shadowthrone and Ganoes!! Tap, tap! "Where does your faith come from!!" Great interactions with Shadowthrone and Ganoes!! I had been waiting to see him for so long and then bam! He was finally there!!

message 8: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) What about the scene where Olar meets the group (Setoc et al) and demands the children. Freaking amazing how she verbally rips their arguments apart and a group of people who you'd expect to protect children stand there and let them go. Brilliant writing.

I just had a OMFG moment, when I read that Tavore knows what is at the top of the Spire and what it means. But, I guess I am getting a bit ahead of myself here.

....oh and Cotillion weeping to Lostara Yil, what is happening with him?

So close to weepy moments, when Brys and later Tavore speaks with Hanavat about the sacrifice the burned Tears made, that sent a huge shiver down my spine. Weeping on the metro would be a bit embarrassing, so did lots of shivering.

message 9: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

YEs, the Burned Tears reactions---the various members are all across the board-some in grief and some joining up with the Bridgeburners. And how Tavore's reaction gives them back their honor...

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Lee wrote: "What about the scene where Olar meets the group (Setoc et al) and demands the children. Freaking amazing how she verbally rips their arguments apart and a group of people who you'd expect to protec..."

Yeah I hate Olar Ethil!!! That b*tch killed Absi's dog!!!

That whole meeting was amazing in that everyone look at Tavore in a whole new way!! And Hanavat is such a strong woman, I admire her!

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Shelley wrote: "Amelia wrote: "I thought the glimpses of Cotillion and Shadowthrone were really interesting in this book. It was like they were actually giving us real clues and insights into what was going to be..."

Yes, I finished. I didn't get through it as fast as some may have, but I finished it faster than I've finished most of the others.

I'm glad that Torrent had the guts to go after Olar Ethil and the kids, but you would've thought with everyone who was there, that he shouldn't have had to.

Tavore's meeting with all of her allies was quite something. She throws things on their heads again by sending her allies off to do something else and facing the Glass Desert with just the Bonehunters and the Burned Tears. I know this decision really upset Krughava, but Tavore really wasn't trying to cause dissension by dividing her forces, she was just doing what needed to be done and sending armies where they were needed the most.

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Amelia wrote: "Shelley wrote: "Amelia wrote: "I thought the glimpses of Cotillion and Shadowthrone were really interesting in this book. It was like they were actually giving us real clues and insights into what..."

As Banacaster said....IT'S TACTICS!!!!!

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Shelley wrote: "Amelia wrote: "Shelley wrote: "Amelia wrote: "I thought the glimpses of Cotillion and Shadowthrone were really interesting in this book. It was like they were actually giving us real clues and ins..."

It made sense to me. I guess Krughava just had her heart set on being with Tavore to the end.

Another interesting thing. Queen Abrastal and her army. She joined with the Burned Tears and the Perish mostly out of curiosity to meet Tavore and find out what she was planning to do. Now she's become another ally, unexpected at that, who is really carrying a lot of the weight of the army that was sent away. I know Stormy and Gesler were appointed to be the leaders of this split, but they aren't around all the time to actually encourage the army to keep going where Tavore directed them.

I was also really glad at this point to find out, that not everyone had died during the battle with the Nah'ruk.

message 14: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

Another item not touched on yet...the original Apsalar showing up at Black Coral to see Nimander...
Does he realize what a natural leader he is?
How he just fell into his father's role?
Did Anomander have any foreshadowing of this?
What would Silchas think?

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Maggie wrote: "Another item not touched on yet...the original Apsalar showing up at Black Coral to see Nimander...
Does he realize what a natural leader he is?
How he just fell into his father's role?
Did Anom..."

Good point Maggie!!! We never really talk about Nimander, he really is a great character! I don't think Silchas would contest Nimander at all!

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments I like Nimander a lot too. He certainly grew into his role. I always thought he was Anomander's grandson, but he's really his son.

I like seeing the original Apsalar back in the world again too. She went through a lot in Dragnipur.

Traci Actually, surprising, I ended up liking Nimander more than his father. I always felt like Anomander was the most stereotypical cool fantasy guy of this series. But that just could have been he reminded me too much of the dark elf character Drizzt from that Forgotten Realms series. Nimander felt more real to me.

message 18: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

This pairing up of Draconus and Ublala is pretty humorous too!

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Maggie wrote: "This pairing up of Draconus and Ublala is pretty humorous too!"

Yeah, I would never have imagined those two getting together, but they are a great team. And when the girl comes along, that's pretty funny too.

message 20: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

I did think we got some good info on the Adjudicators from Kalyth talking to Ges and Stormy, too