Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Legend (The Drenai Saga, #1)
This topic is about Legend
Book Issues > Got a good fix

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JSWolf (last edited Feb 15, 2012 04:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

JSWolf | 649 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...

Legend by David Gemmell has a doozy of a fix needed. The series name is wrong. It's not "Drenai Tales" but just plain Drenai. So every book that is labeled "Drenai Tales" will need to be fixed. This book is Drenai #1 for the series.

Also, for this particular edition, the actual number of pages is 310.

Also, for this book, the series information (wrong as it is) is not showing in the book list.

I do hope this isn't going to be too much work. Thanks.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Changed the page number and the series name but the old series name is a part of most edition's book title and still showing up.

Too many books to edit in my view. Maybe someone else will do it.

message 3: by JSWolf (last edited Feb 15, 2012 07:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

JSWolf | 649 comments Dodo wrote: "Changed the page number and the series name but the old series name is a part of most edition's book title and still showing up.

Too many books to edit in my view. Maybe someone else will do it."

Someone has to do it if GR is to make these books correct. Am I wrong or is it the job of the librarians to fix things like these even if it is a lot of work?

The issue of the series name not showing up in the book list has not yet been fixed.

message 4: by Soul (new)

Soul (soulkeeper720) | 36 comments Hey JSWolf,

please excuse Dodo, i am checking out the issue right now!

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42435 comments Mod
JSWolf wrote: "Am I wrong or is it the job of the librarians to fix things like these even if it is a lot of work?"

Adding series information to book titles is optional, and this has been mentioned to you before. Please be polite when making requests of our VOLUNTEER librarians.

message 6: by Soul (new)

Soul (soulkeeper720) | 36 comments Hi again JSWolf, i have just updated every book from "Drenai" series to represent appropriate series name.
(Can you check it out and tell me i am correct and everything is fine as it should be?)

& Can you help me with Series Description, because i can't find a general description, i'll update it immediately once you post it here.

message 7: by JSWolf (last edited Feb 16, 2012 07:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

JSWolf | 649 comments Thank you everyone for the help but there is still one outstanding fix to be made. The series information is not showing in the book list. Can someone please fix this?

As for the general description...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drenai_S...

"The Drenai Series is a fantasy series written by David Gemmell. The series is about the history of the Drenai Nation and follows various heroes through the ages of its history."

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments Jon, there's no call to be rude.

On top of that, the series is often called the Drenai Tales in multiple different locations and websites. Including places like Fictiondb and Amazon.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments JSWolf wrote: "Thank you everyone for the help but there is still one outstanding fix to be made. The series information is not showing in the book list. Can someone please fix this?

As for the general descripti..."

This is NOT a general description, Jon. Please go get a copy of the actual book and give the back cover information.

If you do not have a copy of the actual book, I will update it when I get home.

JSWolf | 649 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Jon, there's no call to be rude.

On top of that, the series is often called the Drenai Tales in multiple different locations and websites. Including places like Fictiondb and Amazon."

Overdrive and Fantastic Fiction as well as the wiki call it Drenai. So that's why I feel that's the correct series information. Calling it Drenai Tales makes it sound like a bunch of short stories/novellas. Also, B&N calls it "Drenai series". http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/?seri... The description for one of the books sold via Sony calls it the "Drenai series" http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/davi... Basically, I'm finding more instances where it's called "Drenai Series".

What Soul was asking for was a general series description, not a description of the book. The back cover information should be what's in the description for the book. Overall, books don't get a general series description on the back cover blurb.

Anyway, I've found a much better description of the series.

http://davidgemmell.wikia.com/wiki/Dr...

"The Drenai series is a heroic fantasy novel series by David Gemmell. The series follows the history of the country of Drenai, focussing on important moments and characters over a span of many hundreds of years. Several novels centre around the lives of particular characters and can be said to form mini-series themselves, operating within the larger Drenai meta-series. These mini-series are usually linked together not just by the setting, but also by the cast/main chracters of one book either being related to another somehow (descendants/ancestors) or by cameos of various length of characters whom nominally have their 'own' mini-series.

The notable protagonists/focus characters of the various mini-series are principally Waylander the Slayer, Druss the Legend and Skilgannon the Damned. Their family trees, and those of the Drenai Earl of Bronze and the Nadir Uniter provide many of the central characters of the entire series."

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments JSWolf wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "Jon, there's no call to be rude.

On top of that, the series is often called the Drenai Tales in multiple different locations and websites. Including places like Fictiondb and Am..."

Jon, you are voicing an opinion - not a fact - of what the series should be called. This is fine - you are welcome to your opinion - but the series goes by different names depending on which website you are looking at. You seem to be focusing on Wikis...

The Official Gemmall site is currently down and the www.gemmellaward.com site is calling the series a "Saga."

As I said before - I will look at my hard copies when I get home and discuss with you.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments Soul and Dodo, thank you so much for the work you did on this series!

As I promised Jon, I checked my hardcopies of the series. It turns out that the series is called "The Drenai Saga." I am currently updating the records to reflect this.

message 13: by JSWolf (last edited Feb 17, 2012 09:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

JSWolf | 649 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Soul and Dodo, thank you so much for the work you did on this series!

As I promised Jon, I checked my hardcopies of the series. It turns out that the series is called "The Drenai Saga." I am cur..."

I just noticed that as well in the eBook as well. So there we have it, A definitive answer.