The Book of Wonders The Book of Wonders question

Could this be a elementary school read aloud?
Barbara Barbara Feb 15, 2012 04:33PM
I am a first grade teacher that enjoys reading more difficult books as a readaloud to the class each day. We have read many wonderful stories, i.e., The Last of the Really Great Wangdoodles by Julie Andrews, The Witches by Raold Dahl, Pippi Longstocking, etc. Right now we are in the middle of Peter and the Starcatchers. I am always looking for new books that capture the imagination and instill a love of reading. What do you think about this book as a readaloud? I have no problem with stopping to explain things to the 1st graders so that isn't a concern. I'm wondering if there is anything that parents might object to? I want to read Harry Potter and The Golden Compass but hesitate because a few parents disapprove. Before I check with them I'd like a little insight.

Shelby (last edited Feb 16, 2012 07:50AM ) Feb 16, 2012 07:49AM   0 votes
This book (the Book of Wonders) definitely has nothing in it that a first grader couldn't handle. However, one of the major themes is that the Sultan is killing girls in a "hunt", like how one would hunt animals. I am not sure if you would feel this is to much or not for 1st graders. I'd suggest reading the book before you read it to your students, but if you don't I wouldn't worry to much, as nothing is to bad in it and it is a middle grade novel.

As for Harry Potter and The Golden Compass, Harry Potter does have a lot of death, and in a few, swear words. The first book is relativelly clean, though, so it shouldn't be aa problem. I read The Golden Compass so long ago I can't really help you on this one, sorry!

I hope this helps!