Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Indie Translation Experiment

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg Scowen (gregscowen) Can Indie authors reach out to foreign markets? I would like to think so.

Therefore, I have embarked on a costly experiment. I have signed a contract for the translation of my debut novel into German. It doesn't come cheap but I think there is potential to hit the German market hard.

I want to share my experience with other Indie authors. But I also need your support. If you donate just $5 at IndieGoGo (link below) to support this experiment, I will give you a copy of the eBook and supply you with a full report of the outcome of this experiment. Not just when the book is published in German, but continuously as it starts to sell and hopefully succeed in a second marketplace. I will also provide information about how I have arranged this, what to expect, how not to get ripped off, and tips and advice on selling to the German market (I speak German and live in Switzerland).

Interested? Or just supportive?
Donate here: http://www.indiegogo.com/TheSpanishHe...

message 2: by Stephen (last edited Feb 17, 2012 06:55AM) (new)

Stephen Pearl (stephenp11) | 272 comments I wish you all the luck in the world Greg and offer the following simply because it may help some other person with a simular view. The Canaidial arts councle has a program (if Harper hasn't gutted it yet)where they will help pay to translate English works into French. The publisher must qualify but if you're in a mind to do this you might like to give it a look see.

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg Scowen (gregscowen) Hi Stephen,

There is a similar program in New Zealand to help publishers translate work into German (in preparation for NZ to be guest country at Frankfurt this year).
The problem, is that most of these funding opportunities exclude self-published authors.

I will look into the Canadian offer though.