Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

Did anyone else loathe the third book of Hunger Games?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 107) (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Owen (new) - rated it 1 star

Owen I recently finished the trilogy and loved the first two books. After reading the first book in one sitting I tried to get the second and third books as quickly as possible. I loved the second as much as the first, but was very disappointed by the third. When I finished the third book I wanted to throw it out the window since it was so awful. Too sad!

Eunice Sad things will happen, obviously. It's not a dystopian novel for nothing. If you want a happy, perfect novel filled with riches and goodness and loveliness, read Twilight instead because no-one dies in that!
I think it ended as well as it could've, without the story being unbelievable and too 'perfect' and 'cost-free'. Katniss is rebelling against the government; it's a revolution, obviously people are going to die and shit's going to go down. It's to be expected, otherwise the ending would be very Breaking Dawn-esque.

Keerthana Batchu Hated the third book. Katniss was whiny and medicated. No proper storyline. Peeta was not so awesome. Prim and Finnick died. They're not on the offensive but mostly on the run. Not good at all.

Emily I thought the third book sucked. I think it ended well, but the plot leading up to it was kind of boring and too different from the first two books to be enjoyable.

message 5: by Owen (last edited Feb 15, 2012 05:16AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Owen That fact that the story was sad and depressing had nothing to do with why I hated it. I wrote too sad because it was sad that the third book was ten shades of suck. In all honesty I wish Katniss had died rather than become a whiny teenager too caught up on who she loves. I think Collins gave into to what she thought her fans wanted, which was a team Peeta vs team Gale scenario. I firmly believe that at some point a book and its characters writes the story themselves and the author needs to let it happen naturally. I think Collins forced the third book.

QueenRitz Yup. I didn't like it at all, I did a review on it on Puff Critique:

http://www.nineteenreviews.blogspot.c...

message 7: by Owen (new) - rated it 1 star

Owen Nazzy,
I liked your review and agree with your opinion. I wanted more out of Prim and less distress from Katniss. It's seems as if she gave up in the end and became a hollow character.

QueenRitz Owen wrote: "Nazzy,
I liked your review and agree with your opinion. I wanted more out of Prim and less distress from Katniss. It's seems as if she gave up in the end and became a hollow character."

Thanks Owen! I agree, Katniss fell really flat.

Valerie Owen wrote: "That fact that the story was sad and depressing had nothing to do with why I hated it. I wrote too sad because it was sad that the third book was ten shades of suck. In all honesty I wish Katniss h..."

This is pretty much my feeling on the 3rd book. Everything felt forced; Katniss wasn't a participant in her life. She watched from the sidelines as everyone else made decisions. I realize she's only 16, but she's also a 16-year old who has literally been supporting her family. She's lived most of her life as an adult; she's not an Americanized 16-year old who we barely trust to drive.

The 3rd book was absolutely forced and put way too much attention to the Gale v Peeta battle for Katniss' affections. I didn't love the first 2 books (the first in particular) because of the "love triangle." It was because, Katniss was such a strong female character. The political undertones Collins presented with class differentials was topical and captivating. She had a real opportunity to write beautifully about the Hunger Games revolution, but instead focused on teenagers deciding who to take to the prom.

message 10: by Zoe (new) - rated it 1 star

Zoe Valerie wrote: "Owen wrote: "That fact that the story was sad and depressing had nothing to do with why I hated it. I wrote too sad because it was sad that the third book was ten shades of suck. In all honesty I w..."

I agree totally with this. I read dystopian novels for the revolutions not a silly love story. I think I managed to ignore the love story for the first 2 but it came raging to the forefront in Mockingjay.

Everyone who is starting to read this series (with the movie and all) I tell read the first 2 skip the last. Mockingjay was horrendous. The characterization just fell apart. I always assumed Katniss would end up with Gail, Peeta was always an afterthought to her, but she ends up with him? Also the kids. Her having children just ruined it all.

Nya Tomlinson-Horan-Malik-Payne-Styles i L-O-V-E LOVE it! awesome!

Kayley really?! wow i didn't realize people have such negitave feelings about the book!! i thought it was depressing but their in a depressing world. i love peeta!!!!!! gale is too harsh and too much like katniss for them to be together. she needs some one to care for her and calm her down not feed her fire. the kids was the best part in the whole series!!! i for one would NOT skip the last book no matter how bad it was. stopping in the middle of a series would kill me and probably others too. mockingjay was a book fitting for this dark world, and i admire susanne for it.

Vermin Supreme™ Mockingjay was terrible. The entire climatic scene at the end, which featured Prim's death, was put together terribly. It was all jumbled, and I had no idea who died until the end. A ton of things were happening at once, and that bothered me deeply. I just wished it had more of an ending that made you think.

message 14: by Kay (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kay Causer I literally just finished this book today and I'm more than disappointed. I was hoping for so many things that would have made an interesting character arc or given a really good message but none of them happened.

I wanted Katniss to step up and decide her own future rather than always being a pawn in someone else's game but I never felt like she really escaped other people deciding things for her.

I wanted her to stop flitting between Gale and Peeta and using them both to make herself feel better. She always just expected them to be there for her without her having to give much back and she never really learnt a lesson about it or made a choice. The ending with Gale was such a cop-out.

I wanted her to learn to see the big picture too, to not just think of her own needs but to look at what's happening in the whole of Panem. There's a revolution going on that she never really seems that interested in. She leads her little team into danger and most of them get killed just for revenge on Snow and in the end doesn't even kill him.

This whole book was so frustrating.

Powerispower I loved mockingjay and the ending. Although the love triangle thing was slightly forced and annoying. If it more happy or simple it would have irritated me. It was a revolution and revolutions don't usually turn out how you expect.

message 16: by Nessie (last edited Feb 15, 2012 05:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nessie Q. At first, I didn't like this book. However, after a few days of thinking, I realized how skillfully this book was written.

I understand that people don't like how the book ended. How they hated the fact that too many people had to die. But then if you think about it, war is always depressing. It's always a lose-lose situation even if one side overcomes the other. The deaths of these characters, though shocking actually works in reinforcing the fact that in a war, the chance of survival is very slim. And that deaths come quicker than you can imagine. That you can't prepare for it -- you can only hope to avoid it.

The fact that she had a hard time choosing between
Peeta and Gale also worked for the book. Because looking closely, she wasn't really choosing between two men. She was choosing between two lives laid out ahead of her. If she chooses Gale, then she would never find peace because Gale has been very much consumed by the war. If she chose Peeta on the other hand, she will have a chance at a new life. Because that is what Peeta represents -- hope. Gale on the other hand represents anger, or the fire that Katniss herself feels.

I think prim's death wasn't given much justice. Finnick's too. I honestly feel that their death deserves more credit than what was given to them. However, these negative points did not affect my judgement.

Mockingjay is really hard to appreciate. But if you are the type of person who likes to think about the book you just read, you will find yourself loving the very things you hated about this book. Because I think this book was written that way. It's meant to hurt you and shake you and make you think.

Cassidy Louise awful. just no. It was unnecessarily sad. The way that she builds up Gale's character in the beggining and then gives no closer on the subject. Peeta is just.. Katniss isn't her amazing powerful self. All of the best people die. The ending is complete and utter shit.

QueenRitz Nessie wrote: "At first, I didn't like this book. However, after a few days of thinking, I realized how skillfully this book was written.

I understand that people don't like how the book ended. How they hated t..."

I didn't like it because it was "unnecessarily depressing" in fact that's one of the few things The Hunger Games trilogy has going for it; the reality. I didn't like it because the writing was poor and unclear, the characters were lacking any kind of a personality, and the plot was poorly paced.

www.nineteenreviews.blogspot.com

Kirby I didn't loathe it, but I was left with a few too many unanswered questions, and I agree that the pacing felt wrong...it was like she dwelt on parts that weren't all that important and then had to rush through the ending.

message 20: by Ebehi (new) - rated it 1 star

Ebehi I liked the first two books because Katniss was a great character. Even with all the Peeta, Gale stuff happening, she always seemed to care more about her mom and Prim and about an ultimate goal other than whom she should kiss next.

In the third book, all she did was whine, hide in closets and make a nuisance of herself.

After Prim's death, the book just became a joke. The whole thing about when the bomb hit her and she start thinking she was a mockingjay, and it was downhill from there. The whole killing Coin thing because Snow said so? Really? she believed Snow? and voted for the hunger games? That was awful rubbish.
In the end, she didn't really choose Peeta. He was just available.

message 21: by Owen (new) - rated it 1 star

Owen Overall I think Katniss acted like an annoying teenager and I don't blame Gale fore not going back to 12. In my mind I can see him telling Peeta, 'she is your problem now.'

I don't mind when characters die as long as it doesn't feel that the author is killing them off just because they have to kill someone. With Prim dying I didn't care. Collins never developed Prim into someone that mattered that much. Sure she was a nice sister and showed her mother's talent in caring for people, but that was about it.

The writing felt rushed where the first two books the pace was fast and great. In this book I had no characters to care about and connect with.

message 22: by Blake (last edited Feb 20, 2012 02:12AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Blake It was easily the worst book I've ever read. It pretty much ruined the entire series for me. I'd like to look back fondly on the first two, but I can't remove Mockingjay from them. I don't know if Collins was under some sort of serious time crunch from the publisher, if she wanted a fourth book but couldn't do it for some reason, or if she just gave up. The first two books being as great as they were, I simply can't imagine that she actually put her full effort into this.

message 23: by Neha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Neha Well, I liked it. I think is was great, in fact. Who Katniss ended up with wasn't the main idea. The Hunger Games Trilogy has a much bigger message in it, and it shone Mockingjay really well. I like all the books, but Mockingjay was my favorite. It's all you Peeta fans, I swear. ;)

Elaina It was really good! I couldn't put it down. I think it was depressing and possibly not as good as the first too, but it was realistic also. Except that I think Gale kind of changed. I've gotten over that by now, though. Good book!

Azhia I hated but i liked it at the same time , if that makes sense. The ending was bad though.

message 26: by Blake (new) - rated it 1 star

Blake Okay, I'm sorry, but I can't get a grip on all of the "it was good because the ending was realistic" talk.

What could we possibly be using to gauge realism in a book that has almost indestructible albino lizard men that smell like roses, dire wolf style creatures with the features of recently dead children, yellow jackets that make you hallucinate for days, birds that can exactly replicate human sounds, and invisible cameras that can film everything at once?

Seriously. How do we have any logical scale to gauge the "realism" of a dystopian sci-fi novel? So it's realistic that everyone dies because it's war, even though we're set in a society where it's basically the whole of America against Denver? It's realistic that not ONE of Snow's aids or a high ranking Capitol official put a bullet in his head to save the rest of the Capitol (and surely earn themselves a pardon) when all the districts fell?

It's realistic that Gale, the only person to have saved Prim TWICE (not even counting keeping her fed), will just give up on the woman he's loved for five years because a trap that he may have helped design may have killed Prim? And we're supposed to believe that Katniss has because such a worthless, whiny, and selfish child that she someone can't forgive him for something he didn't actually have any hand in, although he constantly took better care of Prim than she did?

It's realistic that a character who's basically condemned herself to death twice in protection of those she loves will just give up and hide in closets when she's surrounded by those who can actually help her keep people safe? It's realistic that she's again ready to die in order to prevent the continued torture of Peta (or just avenge his death), but as soon as he's back, she just gives up on him, and treats him like the bad guy?

There is no realism, and that's totally okay. Bad writing and a forced ending are not. While I'm in no way saying this is what happened, reading the book feels like someone who didn't really know these characters ghost wrote it.

Shongi Mockingjay was an utter disappointment. Too much gruesomeness, self-pity, darkness and insanity.

The strength of character that Katnis had displayed in the first book was totally salvaged.

Overall, it is a thrilling book. It'll keep you hungrily reading for more, looking for a inspiring resolution that never comes.

message 28: by Kay (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kay Causer Another thing I found a little jarring about it, now that I think about it, is that Katniss can't be around Gale because she can't seperate the idea of Prim's death from him. Yet, Peeta has no trouble seperating the images the Capitol put in his head of Katniss (which could be all kinds of awfulness) from her in real life.

What did they do to convince him they were the ones telling the truth and not the Capitol anyway? They would have had to do something to convince him after his mind was warped.

message 29: by Owen (last edited Feb 21, 2012 02:47AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Owen By the end of the book I honesty did not care. The ending that Collins wrote to me is the same as if all the characters died. To me she killed them through bad story telling.

Breanna Morgan Yup, the third book sucked. Immensely.

Eunice Orangesky wrote: "Another thing I found a little jarring about it, now that I think about it, is that Katniss can't be around Gale because she can't seperate the idea of Prim's death from him. Yet, Peeta has no trou..."
That I agree with - the bit that made me wonder was why Katniss refused to ever see Gale again. I suppose she could have been so affected by Prim's death, but she's known Gale for years and knows he is a reasonably-decent person...but then again, I suppose marriages often break down after the death of a child, so I guess the destruction of a friendship could be no different.

Hannah no one loathed it,but defiantly not Suzanne' best, if i dare say.

message 33: by Kay (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kay Causer Eunice wrote: "Orangesky wrote: "Another thing I found a little jarring about it, now that I think about it, is that Katniss can't be around Gale because she can't seperate the idea of Prim's death from him. Yet,..."

I suppose, but I still get the feeling that if Gale hadn't went to live somewhere else she would have ended up kissing him or something again. She was grieving at the time and later on, given her past behaviour, I think things would have happened between them again if he had been around. She never really made a choice about him and Peeta to me.

message 34: by Hollis (new)

Hollis Laing I liked it but the other books had the climax of the games this was more of just talking. I did like the element of the love triangle( team peeta vs team gale)but if Collins was going to go this way she should have been consistent with her idea then keep switching around with the idea. I also did not like that Katniss was always on drugs/medicine it makes her loose that strong/supportive girl figure that Katniss was given in the beginning of the serious. The turn of events with the high-jacking on peeta was a big turn of events but preferably I would have made it a lot stronger to get the point that Katniss likes peeta at the end even though all together he still is not stable. The details were good though and since I am team peeta I liked the end. I would have explained the idea of president coin and the plot to kill Katniss and I was wondering did gale stay at 2 did he know that Katniss and Peeta got married and had 2 kids. I do agree that I think this book was forced since she knew that she couldn't leave us hanging or she would have a riot on her hands just like president snow. My over all review of this book was OK.

Azhia Orangesky wrote: "Eunice wrote: "Orangesky wrote: "Another thing I found a little jarring about it, now that I think about it, is that Katniss can't be around Gale because she can't seperate the idea of Prim's death..."

I agree I felt like she really didnt have to pick and that was unfair to both boys in my opinion

message 36: by Car (new) - rated it 2 stars

Car i absolutely full heartedly hated the last of the series she completely ruined her series with this one book

Catherine Emily wrote: "I thought the third book stunk. I think it ended well, but the plot leading up to it was kind of boring and too different from the first two books to be enjoyable."

AGREED!!

Michelle Winterbottom I did enjoy the last book in the series, although it wasn't a patch on the first two. The ending seemed a bit disjointed, and it seemed strange the way Gale just disappeared out of the book. Also, Katniss seemed to just settle for Peeta because he was there - I didn't feel like she really loved him. Disappointing end to the trilogy, but still well worth the read.

message 39: by [Coco] (last edited Apr 02, 2012 04:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

[Coco] Cassidy wrote: "awful. just no. It was unnecessarily sad. The way that she builds up Gale's character in the beggining and then gives no closer on the subject. Peeta is just.. Katniss isn't her amazing powerful se..."

If it's so bad why'd you rate it five stars?

I thought it was pretty good. My favorite is still Catching Fire.

Check out this group: href="http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/6...
All about THG. Roleplay will start when there are 15+ members!

April I completely agree with (message 5 from Owen). I think the Collins forced the third book!

So sad, especially the last several chapters. I was pulled out of the story several times and forced into something that just didn't make since. If the point was to get us to feel the crazy, disorienting mess, that perhaps Katniss went through, then mission accomplished!!! Although I'm apprehensive to say, the ending with Katniss becoming a shell of herself, while not the favored outcome, was really believable. I just hate that she was so strong the whole story and then she became the ghost of her mother...

message 41: by Grace (new) - rated it 1 star

Grace I had a number of problems with the book -
1. They decide to have a hunger games for the capital children...then you just dont hear about it again
2. She kills coin and they have a trial while she just sits in a room, she doesn't get to explain why she did it or anything
3. She just doesn't see her Mother or Gale again. If he loved her so much why would he just leave?
4. The very end is boring and pointless for ages, her sitting in her house doing nothing then suddenly the book is finished. Its like nothing mattered at the end, it made the first 2 books pointless.

It was definitely rushed. Also it doesnt properly explain that prim died and finnick just dies after getting married and she doesnt really mention it. Overall, the books werent written very well but they were quite good until the second half of this last book. Very disappointing

message 42: by sushmitha (last edited Aug 26, 2012 06:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

sushmitha I couldn't really hate this book since I had come to adore the first two books by then.But the ending could have been a bit more extended. She could have elaborated on the trial and Peeta & Katniss' recovery. We got to see so little of Peeta's warm and caring side(I was hoping to catch atleast a little of it at the end but so disappointed there!).Anyway, got to give it to Suzanne Collins for putting together a great series.

Vassi I agree with Grace and well, everyone who pointed out problems with the plot. I also- like so many people- do not like the third book at all- i understand why she wanted it sad and etc., but it really really felt rushed.
All that build up during book 2 and first half of book 3 leads to... well, to be honest,to nothing at all.

message 44: by Adam (new) - rated it 1 star

Adam Oh yeah! that book fell flat on it's face. it was sooo tough to finish but i finally did. slow moving is not the right words to describe this book but that's what im going to use. you just think "get on with it".

DaveA I can't understand why everybody says it's "the worst book [they] ever read." Possibly because the first two books in the series were so good and they were (as was I) highly disappointed in the third book. The plot is weak, and the ending is extremely weak. If this had been the first book, I would not have read then next two. However, I *did* enjoy it - and no way is it anywhere near the "worst book." I agree with much of the criticisms, viz. the character development of Katniss, Peeta, and Gale are quite weak in this book. Gale just sort of disappears to another district at the end, and that goes completely unexplained. The "trial" of Katniss at the end is inexplicable and very forced. Still, I liked the book over

message 46: by Doaa (new) - rated it 1 star

Doaa Owen wrote: "By the end of the book I honesty did not care. The ending that Collins wrote to me is the same as if all the characters died. To me she killed them through bad story telling."

that's it.. u said it all

Rhiyaah actually , i love the book before it ends ..for the body , it works well for me .. i just don't like how it ends .. i want to throw the book after i read it .. but it's only the last part that i felt frustrated about it though ..

message 48: by Phil (new) - rated it 2 stars

Phil Disappointing.
Katnis just floats through it.
Plot is thin and weak.
Cardboard characters everywhere.
Disappointing.

Tina J Actually, I preffered Mockingjay to Catching Fire.

Catching Fire is my least favourite out of the trilogy, it just.....SUCKED!!!

message 50: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 29, 2012 08:02AM) (new)

yes i did. not because of anything sad that happened but because of the way that it happened. the third book felt faked, cheap, and disjointed to me. things didn't fit together right, the plot was rough and the characters did not act like themselves. i just felt uninterested at the end of the book. i didn't care who she ended up with because in my mind the characters had died a long time ago. they just weren't themselves in this book so i didn't care what happened to them. i think someone else said that earlier in this thread. anyway it just all fell flat for me. i honestly think it was because of all of the popularity the series got. the last book felt like fanservice. i don't wish to offend anyone, that is just how i felt.

« previous 1 3

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Mockingjay (other topics)