Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > System undoing manual changes?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cameo (new)

Cameo | 91 comments I'm noticing that the system seems to be undoing changes I've made. For instance, I've added expanded synopses to books, and then "ingram" overrides me and changes the synopses back to the brief, original ones.

Do the system updates from Ingrams reset fields to their original values? It's a little frustrating to make an improvement and then have it undone.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Feb 14, 2012 04:14PM) (new)

rivka | 41713 comments Mod
Edit: oops. Sorry, Brian's running a script that might be responsible.

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) | 140 comments It seems to be happening now.

While we're at it, could the ingram data Paperbound be changed to paperback automatically please? Importing data like that is really annoying.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Jan wrote: "It seems to be happening now.

While we're at it, could the ingram data Paperbound be changed to paperback automatically please? Importing data like that is really annoying."

Brian just posted here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8... that he's doing exactly that - changing imported formats to match librarian/GR conventions. :)

message 5: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) | 140 comments Awesome. Maybe the 'updating descriptions' imported from ingram' part of Brians message is what happening in the OP case?

message 6: by Cameo (new)

Cameo | 91 comments Thanks for your replies. Here is an example of what I mean (I added the full synopsis for this book on Feb 7th, and then Ingram changed it back to the short blurb two times since then):

http://www.goodreads.com/book/edits/1...

I just changed it back to the full synopsis again, but I'm going to watch and see if it changes back again. :(

message 7: by Cameo (new)

Cameo | 91 comments Just read the thread Jennifer E. directed me to. I don't understand all that was said about scripts, but hopefully that is what's going on and this is just a temporary thing. Thanks! :)

message 8: by Brian (new)

Brian (bper) | 64 comments Please whenever you're trying to diagnose problems with data tracking, ALWAYS go to the "this edition" version (we'll make that the default one of these days).

when i go to the edits for the version you're pointing to (http://www.goodreads.com/book/edits/1...), what i see is this:

* on 1/31 ingram set the description
* on 2/7, throughaglassdarkly removed the description (set it to '') -- so now there's no updater set
* on 2/11 ingram set the description back (because it was blank after 2/7)
* today ingram set the description again (getting rid of the blank space at top)

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

TGD, have all the ones you've seen this problem with had descriptions that started with HTML code? The example starts with the HTML for italics, for instance.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Brian wrote: "we'll make that the default one of these days"

Pretty please.

message 11: by Brian (new)

Brian (bper) | 64 comments Oh, wait, I wonder if this is related to the code that moves a book's description up to the parent work's default_description if nothing is set?...lemme look into that.

message 12: by Cameo (new)

Cameo | 91 comments This is the version (the MMP):

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...

When I changed the description, I added the FULL description. I did not add a blank space. I'm not sure why it would indicate that.

message 13: by Brian (new)

Brian (bper) | 64 comments I think it's related to the code I mention above...and it may be a special case where if the book's description matches the work's default description that we just null out the book's description (so we don't duplicate content).

Can you try just making a slight tweak to the book's description and see if the librarian log still shows that you're setting it to '' ?

This is a bug though. I'll add a ticket for it.

message 14: by Cameo (new)

Cameo | 91 comments Okay, I changed the first sentence from italic to bold italic.

message 15: by Cameo (new)

Cameo | 91 comments And I see it showing up on the log.

message 16: by Brian (new)

Brian (bper) | 64 comments If this works (the librarian log shows you as having set the description to something other than ''), then this can be the workaround for now...just make sure the book's description is different from the default description. :(

Sorry, I totally see the problem now and filed a ticket.

message 17: by Brian (new)

Brian (bper) | 64 comments ThroughaGlassDarkly wrote: "And I see it showing up on the log."

Thanks for helping me track this one down!

message 18: by Cameo (new)

Cameo | 91 comments Just to clarify (I'm a little "slow"): What is it exactly that I need to do so that my changes are not undone in the future? Because the description I originally added to this particular book was completely different than the default description, but it was undone anyway. I'm just a little confused.

message 19: by Cameo (new)

Cameo | 91 comments Rivka, I'm sorry I forgot to answer you. I really don't know about the html code. Whenever I add a description, myself, I do add the code if necessary. Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly?

message 20: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Brian seems to think it's something else, and he actually understands code, so let's go with him. :)

message 21: by Cameo (new)

Cameo | 91 comments Sounds good. :)

message 22: by Brian (new)

Brian (bper) | 64 comments ThroughaGlassDarkly wrote: "Just to clarify (I'm a little "slow"): What is it exactly that I need to do so that my changes are not undone in the future? Because the description I originally added to this particular book was c..."

Oh, maybe there's something else going on, but it does look like when you set the book's description to a string that happens to match the default description exactly, it's deleting your description (because it'll just default back to the default description for all editions in the work).

When you changed the italics to bold, you said that the librarian log showed you as having actually saved the description you entered (rather than setting it to ''). Your change made it different from the default description, so the description was actually saved on the book in that case.

Note that by "default description" I mean the text that shows up if you click the grey text link about default description at the bottom right of the description text area on the book#edit page.

So you should just need to make the description distinct from the default description till we fix the bug. I know, not an ideal workaround. :(

message 23: by Cameo (new)

Cameo | 91 comments Okay. Thanks for elaborating on that. I think I "get" it now! :)

message 24: by Cameo (new)

Cameo | 91 comments I'm sorry to have to bump this thread, but the system still seems to be reversing manual changes. It is REALLY frustrating.

I added the expanded synopsis for this book on March 13:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/edits/1...

(For the purposes of my explanation, I am not specifying the edits of one edition.)

You can see the description change on the right hand side of the page. If you click on the book title on the upper right hand side, it goes to the mass market paperback edition (the edition I edited). The system undid this change the next day (March 14.)

How in the world can I stop this from happening again?

message 25: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments I suspect that this particular case may be due to the use of the default description. If you have set the text of the default description and set a particular edition to use this default as its description, it may be that the edition is not registering "use the default" as user data. Most of the time, after all, an edition uses the default by default. I don't think there's any flag recording one particular instance of default use as purposeful! Which is a problem, since it leads to exactly this situation where user data is overwritten.

Can anyone think of a solution for this?

message 26: by Cameo (new)

Cameo | 91 comments Thanks for the reply, Cait.

I checked the box that says "use this as the default description" before I saved the expanded synopsis. I'm seeing that both the ebook and Kindle versions have retained my change.

I always thought that the system would not override a manual change. Now that I know that's not the case, I'm not sure how to prevent it from happening in the future.