Gay Science Fiction discussion

Introductions > Hi from Meghan, one of your moderators

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (new)

Meghan (mm_reads) | 168 comments Mod
So somehow Charming and I volunteered to be moderators for this group to help Sean out. He probably thinks we've gone berserk with all the changes we've made.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to start a discussion folder on different sci-fi themes pertaining to books on our bookshelves. Then y'all started sharing ideas! So cool! And then I realized people who discuss these ideas are interesting and usually pretty smart. "I wonder who they are?" So, tell us about yourself!

I'll start. You can call me Meghan. I'm a 40-yr old married lady living in Silicon Valley, Californnia. My college degrees (two undergraduate degrees) were in Computer & Information Science and History. I used to work at Silicon Graphics, Inc. in the 90s. Bleeding edge technology at the time. In 2001, my health became a big issue and I had to go on permanent disability due to inflammatory arthritis. In summary, I used to be slightly smart and definitely a geek. Now, with the drugs I'm on my brain is like a pasta strainer: things just kinda slip through, only the big stuff stays.

But it has given me plenty of time to read, a lot. I discovered slash and gay romance online about 4 years ago. Gradually, I've been adding more and more gay literature and of course, I've been reading sci-fi since the very beginning of time. Put the two together and voila! Some things I like and look for in gay sci-fi are characters who overcome prejudice or tough obstacles; or an interesting world created by the author; or something new or completely thought provoking. That's all I can think of for now.

Hasta y'all!
Meghan

message 2: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Charming (charming_euphemism) | 787 comments Mod
mm_reads wrote: "So somehow Charming and I volunteered to be moderators for this group to help Sean out. He probably thinks we've gone berserk with all the changes we've made.

I feel that Sean is not a shy guy, and he will tell us if we need to chill out. :-)

I'll start. You can call me Meghan. . .

I am going to be a little more subrosa, so you can call me Charming. :-) I am a married mother of teenagers and I do a sort of technical writing for a living.

I've been a huge fan of scifi since I learned to read. I've always liked the expansiveness of it, and especially the opening up of possibilities for women and gays (and the disabled and minorities and etc.). For example Lois McMaster Bujold's books, and especially Ethan of Athos, Falling Free, and the Vorkosigan books.

I've had a love/hate relationship with romance. I like the fun and the happy endings, but I was fed up with M/F - I found it limiting and usually sexist. I found M/M by picking up a free kindle book from Amazon one day: Collision Course. Whoa.

At the moment I am on an M/M time travel kick. I am so glad this genre has grown enough that even the sub-genres have lot of choices.

message 3: by Angel (new)

Angel Martinez (angelmartinez) | 226 comments Hi again! Angel Martinez is the name I use for my M/M fiction, though I write mainstream (read not romance) SF under my real name, Sandra Stixrude, as well. Perhaps some day I might even be able to afford to give up the day job. :)

A Science Fiction fan since, oh, about age five, when I heard a chapter of "War of the Worlds" read on TV, I devoured everything I could get my hands on from Andre Norton on. My parents, who considered SF "junk" reading, finally gave up and decided to be happy that I read so much.

Like Charming, I had a serious problem with het romance, as in, "ew, you've got to be kidding me" at most of the plots and the characterizations. I had read gay-themed SF and Fantasy (Lois Bujold, Ursula LeGuin, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Lynn Flewelling) and had dabbled with some contemp M/M myself, but my real epiphany came when I read L.E. Bryce's "Twice Born."

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 88 comments Megen, who are your favorite characters for Slash?

message 5: by Meghan (new)

Probably my first favorite gay (or slash?) chars were the
Adrien English mystery series, hee! But some of my favorite gay sci-fi characters are from Fireheart because I really hated one of the main guys for a while and then he gradually changed. The worlds were sort of interesting but the characters much more so.

I like the characters and especially the world building in Stealing Some Time: Volume 1 and Stealing Some Time: Volume 2. Another one I loved was the Pact Arcanum series (Sunset) because it married technology and the paranormal in such an interesting way.

message 6: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 19 comments Angel wrote: "Hi again! Angel Martinez is the name I use for my M/M fiction, though I write mainstream (read not romance) SF under my real name, Sandra Stixrude, as well. Perhaps some day I might even be able to..."

Nice to meet you Angel.

message 7: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 19 comments Meghan (mm_reads) wrote: "So somehow Charming and I volunteered to be moderators for this group to help Sean out. He probably thinks we've gone berserk with all the changes we've made.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun t..."

Nice to meet you Meghan.
I had a pain in my forearm that my chiropractor said was from BB thumbs and texting. He said I will probably get arthritis unless I can reduce the repetitive motions. Our dog broke his wrist when he was young and now has arthritis there and in his back. He gets 3 pills 2 times a day plus glucosamine chews. Arthritis is awful.
Thanks for being a MOD!

message 8: by Meghan (new)

Hi Jerry! Nice to meet you too! *wave*

Ooohh poor doggie! Sorry to hear that. I hope his medications help.
:(

Take lots of Omega-3 fatty acids (fish, flax seeds). They help with a LOT of stuff, esp. the brain and connective tissues like tendons.

When you start studying how things are interconnected (I love the show Connections!), it's amazing humans haven't died off yet. Like, now, they know that deep sea fish, fish in general are critical because of omega-3s which are critical to MANY places in the human body. But now that we know that, the fish populations are depleted and deep sea fish are filled with mercury. Sorry, sorry. Both my parents work at the Monterey Bay Aquarium which has the Seafood Watch.

message 9: by Carole-Ann (new)

Carole-Ann (blueopal) | 26 comments Hi everyone! *ducks head to go back to lurking*

I'm glad to (finally) meet like-minded people who don't mind geeks or nerds or m/m.....

Way back when (a VERY long time ago), I studied maths at uni, read encyclopedias for relaxation, and got hooked on Star Trek when they first aired it in the UK. Further back even from then, as a child my engineer father encouraged my interest in sciences, especially astronomy (bought me a 6 inch reflector telescope for my 10th birthday!), so I've been technically minded for most of my life. (Oh, also got into computers in the 80's and ended up teaching apps to various employers.)

So, in essence, I've been reading SF (and Fantasy) for more than 50 years O_O and M/M for nearly 10. Combining them is the ultimate fun :)

If you can read my profile, I'm now retired and running my own second-hand bookshop (a life-long dream); and still managing to shock people by being able to comment on most of the books I have here - not to mention having fairly intellectual conversations too!!

And there still aren't enough hours in the day for me to read everything I want to!

Hugs
Carole-Ann

message 10: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Charming (charming_euphemism) | 787 comments Mod
Carole-Ann wrote: "Hi everyone! *ducks head to go back to lurking*

I'm glad to (finally) meet like-minded people who don't mind geeks or nerds or m/m.....

Way back when (a VERY long time ago), I studied maths at un..."

Hi Carole-Ann. My dad was a physicist - I wouldn't be surprised if there is a correlation. . .

Yeah, I remember when I was surprised to run into a group of people who liked M/M. I wouldn't have dared to dream of a collection of gay scifi fans.

message 11: by Bill (last edited Mar 13, 2012 07:36AM) (new)

Bill (kernos) | 88 comments Carole-Ann wrote: "...If you can read my profile, I'm now retired and running my own second-hand bookshop (a life-long dream); and still managing to shock people by being able to comment on most of the books I have here - not to mention having fairly intellectual conversations too!!.."

This is something I have dreamed of, if I can ever afford to retire. I'd love to retire to Britain, and Somerset would by high on the list of places, perhaps Glastonbury, but don't think they'd let me—too old and not enough money in the bank. What is a "Grade II listed building"? I presume it has something to do with English Heritage.

message 12: by Carole-Ann (new)

Carole-Ann (blueopal) | 26 comments @ Charming - there must be a correlation :0) because I always understood the science-y bits - with a bit of imagination in play, of course!

And as for M/M, well I'm slightly obsessed :) and when one reads a book like A Solid Core of Alpha, then it's almost TOO much bliss!

@ Kernos - I'm SO lucky to have achieved my dream - I know not many people do; but I've always thought that having the dream in the first place will always get one through the trickier parts of life :)

You're also correct with the Grade II derivation. English Heritage "look after" so many historic houses and to prevent any of them being demolished or 'renovated', they designed the guidelines to preserve these buildings. In other words, owners just cannot pull them down or change the overall aspect of the building.

My house is an amalgam of two cottages (c 1800's) but the bit that is 'protected' is a semi-circular facade to the older part (c 1630 we think). Most of the town where I live is in a Conservation Area, which means that most of the buildings are pre-1850 or earlier, and local laws (and by-laws) do actually prevent much modernisation! Oh the joys of living in England!