Harry Potter discussion

Questions > Confused questions...

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Tess | 134 comments I dont get the whole thing about staying a ghost. In the end of the 5th book, Nick explains it, but im still confused!!help!!!

message 2: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments those are probably spirits who still want to stay on earth even if they don't have a body anymore that's why they dwell on structures. i don't get nick's explanation, too, i even thought it was only applicable to his own self coz he doesn't want to move on. it was his choice to be like that. other dead people (esp. the ones harry would like to see) wants to go on with their after life.

message 3: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Ashley (samuraigurl91) | 106 comments yeah i didn't get what he said abt Sirius wouldn't want to be here and probably wanted to move on but from everything i know abt supernatural beings, spirits have a choice whether they want to move on or remain as a ghost because of either some unfinished business or something.

message 4: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments yeah, but if you'll analyze it nick doesn't have unfinished business. his execution made things final. sirius though, should have come back for harry but chose not to. do you think he wanted to be with james that bad?

message 5: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments One thing Nick explians is that once there you can't go back. Sirius would have known that Harry would go on when he died and knew that he would be with him again. If he had choosen to stay it would have been like being stuck in Grimmald place agian, watching everyone else go on and have adventures while he was stuck in a form that is only really a memory. I think that going on is like the mormons idea of heaven. that there is life after death.

message 6: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments that was nice, meghan! it just shows how mature sirius really is, ainnit? ^_^

message 7: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Ashley (samuraigurl91) | 106 comments yeah i totally agree with Meghan. maybe he just wanted Harry to live for himself and don't need to depend on Sirius or something like that.

message 8: by Tess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Tess | 134 comments but HOW do you come back as a ghost??what do you have to do while you are alive?

message 9: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Usually if you come back as a ghost, you have unfinished business.

message 10: by Tess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Tess | 134 comments what is Nick's unfinished buisness?
what does it mean when nick says
"Wizards can leave an imprint of themselves upon the earth..."

what does it mean?? "imprint"

message 11: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) imprint meaning he is a legend possibly or imprint meaning he made such an impact on the people around him, he would never be forgotten

message 12: by Tess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Tess | 134 comments hmmmmmmmm that sounds right...

message 13: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:47PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments i guess, it's one's choice if they want to stay on as a ghost as nick said, he didn't want to leave earth. that's why he became a ghost. it's a conscious choice.

message 14: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I agree with peng. You don't come back because you have unfinished business. Nick also said that if you are completely sad that you would probably stay behind as well.

message 15: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments come to think of it, nick was really ummm.... what's the word to use? because he was saddened by his death that did not totally decapitated him. then he tried to join the headless horsemen troops/jockeys but failed countless times because of his "condition". i couldn't put in dissapointed coz i think nick feels more than that.

message 16: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Ashley (samuraigurl91) | 106 comments well there is an example. like Ravenclaw's ghost The Grey Lady who is Helena Ravenclaw, she probably remained as a ghost because she felt guilty of stealing the diadem from her mother, lost it, and then got murdered by the Bloody Baron who killed himself thats why he's a ghost too.

oh yes Bre i totally agree with you. it would be so much easier if JK can so answer our questions.

message 17: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments agreed bre. Wouldn't it be cool if we could get her to join this?

message 18: by Annie (new)

Annie (AnnieIsCool13) That would be awesome! but pretty much impossible.

message 19: by Joe (new)

Joe | 57 comments Ok, everyones pretty much answered the question. Theres two ways it can be taken:
1. They don't go on to heaven and they stay on earth:
They're then trapped on earth, unable to choose whether they want to move on or not, which means they live a life where they can only basicly converse with people. In CoS they can't even eat!(As seen at Nearly Headless Nick's Deathday Party.

2. They leave a copy of themselves on earth and move on:
I took this as, the copy of Nearly Headless Nick thought it that no-one likes to be left as a copy on earth, as mentioned above, they won't be able to live properly only converse with people. Sirius might not have wanted to do this and as Meghan has said because he knew he'd only have to wait for Harry to die to be united with him.

This is how I understood it anyways.