BOOK-A-HOLICS discussion

Book Chat > Recent purchases

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by LJ (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

LJ (ljroberts) As an official bookaholic, my recent purchases have been:

- The entire Bernard Knight series
- Measure of Days - the 30th book in the Morland Dynasty series by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
- Death in the Venetian Quarter by Deryn Lake
- Death in Dublin by Bartholomew Gill
- The Great Stink by Clare Clark
- The Tomb of Zeus by Barbara Cleverly
- Kept" A Victorian Mystery by D.J. Taylor

What have your latest purchases been?

message 2: by Charity (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Charity (charityross) Blind Submission by Debra Ginsberg
A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling
I Am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe
Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

message 3: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) All The Names - Jose Saramago
The Double - Jose Saramago
A Scanner Darkly - Philip Dick
A Long Way Down - Nick Hornby
The End Of Alice - AM Homes

I have already read thru the bottom three, and am currently reading All The Names, so I am due for a new splurge this week.....

The hardest part for me is to decide which three or four to buy next... my to-read list is growing and growing....

message 4: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
-The Kite Runner By: Khaled Hosseini

-The Fool's Progress: An Honest Novel By: Edward Abbey

-The Monkey Wrench Gang By: Edward Abbey

-Hayduke Lives By: Edward Abbey

all from amazon

message 5: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) My mom and I are going to Borders or Barnes&Noble today. Will get a book then. I can't help it. Everytime I go into a bookstore I have to get a book. I think I have a severe case of Bookaholism...LOL

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) | 33 comments Uh-oh, see I cover up my habit by buying for my classroom (still not a disease!!!) and this week hit my daughter's book fair, a new unit in american history, sci-fi study in biology and the have to have new readers for my emerging reader who is into snakes. So, I am pretty sure my list goes something like this (just had the unveiling this afternoon in my reading classes - they love the days Mrs. B brings in an unidentified bag):

John, Paul, George and Ben - Lane Smith
Teddy Roosevelt and the Treasure of Ursa Major - Ronald Kidd
Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Jeff Kinney
Diary of a Wimpy Kid #2 - Jeff Kinney
Down in the Swamp (some scholastic picture book)
Treasure Hunt around the United States (another scholastic book)
Silverfin: Young Bond Series Number One - Charlie Higson
Hurt Go Happy - Ginny Rorby
Small Steps - Louis Sachar
Snakes (a level 2 reader)
Who Was Thomas Jefferson? - Fradin
Animal Farm - George Orwell
Invention of Hugo Cabret - Selznick
Seeing Redd - Beddor
To a Pioneer Prairie - Carole Marsh
another one I can't remember and my kids picked out 2 or 3.

To give myself some guilt relief - I did have some gift certificate from christmas and a coupon, etc...

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Recent purchases I have made are :

Stolen Lives:Twenty Years in a Desert Jail- Malika Oufkir. Got this book for a dollar at our local library.

message 8: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) In the last ten days:
The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemmingway
Pyrates - George MacDonald Fraser
The Final Solution - Michael Chabon
Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents - Terry Pratchett
Lucky Jim - kingsley Amis
The Borribles - Michael de Larrabeiti
Un Lun Dun - China Miville

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I went to Target to pick up a prescription today. I left with I Am Legend, The Glass Castle, and the first five Stephanie Plum books.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Got a couple more Murakami books with an Amazon gift certificate, "Little Children" from the library, and, on Cindy's recommendation, some book on college girls is on reserve from the library as well:)

message 11: by Symbol (new)

Symbol Okay, I went out and bought:
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
A Great and Terrible Beauty
The Book with No Name
Queen of the Damned

I recently aquired an advanced reading copy of:
Stealing Athena

From the library:
The Thirteenth Tale
The Smoke Thief
(a book on knitting whose exact title has slipped my mind)

message 12: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) I went to Kmart today to get something for my goddaughter's birthday and happened upon a book bargain bin. Two minutes later, I'm checking out with a talking monkey and four books of the Hardcase Crime series. At 2 for six bucks, I couldn't pass them up.

message 13: by Aumee (new)

Aumee | 72 comments i went out for a little pick-me-up shopping today........as usual i ended up at the used book market.......and came home with 13 books.........my poor wallet is recuperating on my dresser at the moment............haha

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) | 33 comments Okay, went to the grocery store Sat and came home with the groceries and books for each of my daughters for Valentine's Day and Kabul Beauty School for me.......

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy World Without End- Follett
I, Rigoberta Menchu
Things Fall Apart- Achebe
The Uses of Enchantment- Heidi Julavits
Death in the Andes- MarioVargas Llosa

message 16: by Lillian (new)

Lillian | 6 comments My latest acquisitions have been:

Touchstone by Laurie R. King
Second Shot by Zoe Sharp
Black Widow Agency by Felicia Donovan
Judas Strain - James Rollins
Moon Tunnel - Jim Kelly

message 17: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Stargirl
Wolf Brother
The Amulet of Sammarkand
Inkspell

All of these came from my school book fair. :D

message 18: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Not purchased by me but for my birthday this morning I got "For One More Day" by Mitch Albom, "Last Chance Saloon" by Marian Keyes and "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts. I know I'll be getting a few more tonight so it's been a great birthday.

message 19: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) There's nothing like getting books to make a birthday great. Happy Birthday Mandy ~

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrishathaway) Life of Pi
The Kite Runner
The Peoples History of the United States

message 21: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Thanks Cindy!! Had a fabulous day and lucky me I have more to come, it's extending over tonight and tomorrow :-)

Some more books from last night:
Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert
Faces - Martina Cole
7th Heaven - James Patterson

message 22: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Today I got two new books from Target.

Change of Heart-Jodi Picoult(this is her new book)
The Overachievers:The Secret Lives of Driven Kids- Alexandra Robbins

message 23: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celestelueck) | 27 comments I helped out with the Friends of the Library book sale today. I brought home several books, of course, including:

Heyday
Lonesome Dove
Rhett Butler's People
Becomeing Madame Mao
A Spot of Bother
Cannery Row
Lamb

Not bad for a few hours work and a small donation. I think my total was $4.00 for these books and Rhett Butler's People was hardback.

message 24: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ about a week ago i bought the third book in the House of Night series: Chosen. I haven't started it yet, but i'm hoping it will be good. :)

message 25: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I got a new book today. The second book of the Erec Rex series:"Erec Rex: The Monsters of Otherness" by Kaza Kingsley

message 26: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) I bought John Irving's The Hotel New Hampshire for $.50 from the library's ongoing book sale the other day.

message 27: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celestelueck) | 27 comments So Brigid, I take it you like the House of Night series? My daughter has them, maybe, I should borrow them to add to my ever growing pile.

My latest purchases included:
Shadow Thieves
Black Tattoo
Thristy
The Ballad of the Whiskey Robber

message 28: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ yeah, i do like the house of night series. they aren't amazing, but if you want a quick, easy, but exciting read they're good. except parts of it are really scary... but i personally like scary stories so it doesn't bother me.

i'm also planning on buying the fourth percy jackson book sometime soon, since it comes out tomorrow (soooo excited! even though the book is supposed to be for like ten year olds... heehee)

message 29: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) I found another steal today...Jigs and Reels by Joanne Harris hardback for $1.

message 30: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I got "Songs of the Humpback Whale" by Jodi Picoult.

message 31: by Mandy (new)

Mandy So those of you who know me from the next best bookclub know I have a wee bit of a problem - I buy books like they're going out of fashion!! I seriously have a problem.

I am sooo excited. I went out to get some petrol and rolls for lunch and thought I'd swing past my salvation army store - thanks to all the kind people in TNBB who brought to my attention that salvos are a great place to shop!! My goodness, I will be visiting that store again and again and again and you know what, I don't have to feel bad about spending heaps of money because all of the below I got for $36.75!!! I couldn't believe it!! Now I know I won't get around to reading them all in the near future but that's okay, some of these books were just too good not to buy and hey, I'll get around to them eventually. I seriously have to rethink my book storage situation now though. So here goes:

White Oleander - Janet Fitch
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married - Marian Keyes
About a Boy - Nick Hornby
Spellbound - Jane Green
Babyhood - Paul Reiser

All in one book by James Herbert:
Moon
Shine
The Dark
Fluke

And now these last ones were only $4.25 each and they're leather bound with gold paper and on the spine they all say Treasury of World Masterpieces, there's four of them:

Charles Dickens which includes:
Oliver Twist
Great Expectations
A Tale of Two Cities

Mark Twain which includes:
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Prince and the Pauper
Pudd'nhead Wilson
Short Stories
A Connecticut Yankee at King Arthur's Court

Edgar Allan Poe which includes:
The Complete Tales of Mystery and Imagination
The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym
The Raven and Other Poems

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle which includes:
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
The Return of Sherlock Holmes
A Study in Scarlet
The Sign of Four
The Hound of Baskervilles

Can you believe that?!?!?! Honestly I feel like I've won the lottery or something. When I came home I was smiling and my partner was like, "Oh, no, more books," but after I told him what it cost and he saw the last four books especially he agrees it was a great purchase. Ah, I still haven't come down off my high and that was over 2 hours ago now.

message 32: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ AAAH!!! I BOUGHT THE FOURTH PERCY JACKSON BOOK I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 33: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Today from Costco, I got a book called "The Tenth Gift" by Jane Johnson

message 34: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celestelueck) | 27 comments I've added The Host by Stephanie Meyer to my ever growing pile. Tommorow night I am taking my daughter and some friends to the Stephanie Meyer event, here in Houston. We are just a little EXCITED!!!!!!!!! Also, the 3rd Sisters Grimm books. When will the madness stop? I HOPE NEVER!

message 35: by Meghan (new)

Meghan (reader_meg) | 2 comments Last weekend I bought:
The Murder of Bindy McKenzie
The Foreshadowing
City of Bones
Blind Faith.

message 36: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) I don't buy books in huge quantities because well I work in a library and have no money (damn those student loans) but I will if I find a bargain and it's not something the library owns.

Today was a good day...it was my day off but I had to go into because I forgot to turn in my time sheet and I found a V.C. Andrews book that was on my list so I'll be buying that for $.50 tomorrow (left my purse in the car). Then I came home and few hours later the doorbell rang...I went to the door and low and behold there was a package from Barnes & Noble...I got an advanced reader's copy of Stewart O'Nan's new book SONGS FOR THE MISSING - got to love free books!!!! To bad it will have to wait!

So many books...so little time :(

message 37: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) And today I found a paperback edition of Grimm's collected fairy tales and a hardcover book of dog cartoons from the New Yorker - $1.50 for the two...not on my list to buy but good finds anyway.

message 38: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Cynthia, did you get the dark Grimm's Fairy Tales? Cuz my sister got that one a few weeks ago.

Anyways, I got a new book from borders with my $10 borders gift card that I got from a friend for my 22nd birthday. It is called "The Naming" by Alison Croggon. It is the first book of the Pellinor Series.

message 39: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 38 comments The Outsiders
Rumble Fish
That was then, this is now
Tex
and Host

message 40: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I just had to comment to Chelsea....I love S.E. Hinton and the books you bought are great. I've reread The Outsiders many times and even as an adult I absolutely love it! Enjoy!

My most recent purchase was From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Most recent purchase:
Samuel Beckett - Waiting for Godot, Endgame, Krapp's last tape, Happy days, Play

message 42: by Adelita (new)

Adelita (adelitacampbell) When You Are Engulfed In Flames - David Sedaris
In The Woods - Tana French

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) I was at a local used bookstore a few days ago, and got a few books:

The Queen's Man, by Sharon Kay Penman
The Tears of the Giraffe, by Alexander McCall Smith
The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B., by Sandra Gulland
The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger
and a couple of Robert B. Parkers.

message 44: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Today I got Eragon and Eldest by Christopher Paolini

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) And last night we were watching an episode of The Six Wives of Henry VIII ("Anne of Cleeves") and the need for a biography of Cranmer came upon us. So we ordered from Amazon:

A biography of Thomas Cranmer
T. Rex and the Crater of Doom, by Walter Alvarez,
and The Sunne in Splendor, by Sharon Kay Penman.

I tell you, we are sad, sad addicts.

message 46: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Today I got City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.

message 47: by Danita (new)

Danita (musicgirl) I went into a used bookstore I love to frequent and bought a jane austen- I think it was pride and prejudice, Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bon's,- Lorna Landvik, Keeping the Faith- Jodi Picoult. Hopefully I wont go back for a little while.

message 48: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Today I went to B&N with my sister and her bf and I got City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare and My Miserable, Lonely, Lesbian Pregnancy by Andrea Askowitz.

TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey (thereadingknitter) I'm jealous of all you people going out and buying books...

message 50: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 38 comments Yesterday I got alot of books! Book 1: Kissing Coffins Book 2: Vampireville Book 3: Dance with a Vampire Book 4: Storm Front Book 5: Girls That Growl I can't wait to read ALL of these books!

« previous 1