Gap Creek Gap Creek discussion

What were your thoughts?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Leslie If nothing else, it will make you appreciate all that you have! (I don't even know what you have/do/like etc, but believe me, your life is easier than this girl's life).

It also made me make sure that my dishes were done before I went to bed (although this character washed hers, I loaded the dishwasher. Sometimes, I even unloaded it that same night!!) I read the book so long ago, I don't always finish the dishes now!

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Gap Creek was ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE BOOKS. READ IT...i LOVED the main characther! She is a hero!

message 3: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea It took me a little while to get in to this book. The voice is a little irritating (we was, they was, etc.). But in the end, I loved the book and recommend it!! It really makes you appreciate what you have, no matter how little that may be.

Old_airman I kept waiting for the main character to boot her husband out. It seemed as if she had to do everything by herself. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone wanting to read a story of a young, strong female.

Donnaelrick Elrick I first came across this book when I went to TN with my mother-in-law to visit her home town. I saw Gap Creek in a local bookstore. I thought, I would like to read this book in order to better understand my mother-in-law's life. When I read the first sentence "I was there. I seen it.", I put it down right away. I hate to read incorrect English. Years later I came across the audio version. The woman narrating sounded just like my mother-in-law. She used the same incorrect English! I came to love the characters. I wept for them. I have recommended the audio version to my "listening friends".

Leah I loved Gap Creek! It helped me understand a different way of thinking. The main characters were relatable in the fact that they had no idea what they were getting themselves into. They only knew they had strong feelings. Isn't that very much like your young adult self?

Cindy This is one of a few books I have that I read over and over. Really strikes a chord for me, love the strength of will in the main character.

Lila I was moved by the whole experience of living in those days. It was hard-work but fulfilling. Today people don't know the meaning of hard-work!

Allison Rhodes This is one of my favorite books of all times. I grew up listening to my grandfather tell me stories about his childhood growing up in Stokes County N.C. before the Depression. He is the reason I love Historical Fiction! The characters are so real and raw and their lives are hard. There are a lot of good lessons in this book for everyone. I find it fascinating that a man could do so well writing a story from a woman's perspective.

Shelly N. this book was an all time favorite for me as well...whenever my friends ask me for a good reader, its at the top of my list to recommend. very touching!

Heidi I felt as though I was living everyday with the main character and waiting for the next day/event to happen in her life. Loved the writing and how the author drew me in.

message 12: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Parsons This was one of my favorite books that I have read recently. I thought the emotion of the main character was brought through well. I felt I could identify with Julie.

Shelly N. I agree with you Courtney...it is one of my favorite books and i have it on my shelf like a trophy :) very good and memorable read!

Anita I read this book several years ago and will not part with it... Loved it

message 15: by cati (new) - rated it 3 stars

cati I hear there is a second one coming! I loved this and it made appreciate how hard life was for our ancestors!

Celia I got it a Free Friday read. I liked it but many people did not; you have to like stories about people struggling on a farm.

message 17: by Rita (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rita Quillen Morgan is wonderful-I've enjoyed all his books. His ability to tell a story as a female narrator is just superb. I highly recommend all his books, really...

Joyce A beloved book by a marvelous poet and superb biographer of Daniel Boone. An AppLit hero!

message 19: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Little Period American drama at its best. There's a scene in this book of a hog being dismantled that would turn the average reader into a vegetarian immediately. Like many poets, Morgan's command of language leads to vivid descriptive prose, and a feeling of being a 'fly on the wall'.

Linda This is one of the best. I love to read about this era and setting.

Linda Andrea wrote: "It took me a little while to get in to this book. The voice is a little irritating (we was, they was, etc.). But in the end, I loved the book and recommend it!! It really makes you appreciate wh..."

You missed the point as this is the way they spoke!!!

message 22: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Little If you liked this book, read Return To Gap Creek and The Hinterlands, which will take you to places you will never inhabit in real life, nor want to.

Linda John wrote: "If you liked this book, read Return To Gap Creek and The Hinterlands, which will take you to places you will never inhabit in real life, nor want to."

I read both and loved them!

Linda Carrie wrote: "I loved this book."

You will love all of Robert Morgan's Books. Go back and read The Hinterlands, it takes you back to the beginning and you will see the families and tie it together. I wish I had read it first.

Lynne Spreen I enjoyed it, although the beginning was horrific. After I read it I felt like I will never complain again about my life.

message 26: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Jones This book is set in area that is just a few miles from where I live. My uncle was a minister at a church in Gap Creek, of course much later in time. Life in this foothill mountain area was hard in the time period of the story, and is more true to life than many people realize.

message 27: by cati (new) - rated it 3 stars

cati Loved this! So glad I was not born back in those days. Not sure I would have had the fortitude to keep it together. The author did an amazing job. When the characters were hungry, I could feel their hunger, cold, felt their cold, etc.

message 28: by D.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.J. Adamson Read, but not enough of an impact for me to remember.

message 29: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah I think this was one of the most real portrayals of a marriage I've ever read. When they are close to drowning in the creek, and she looks down at him and sees his oh-so-human fear and weakness, I knew this book was the real deal.

Sarah Mck Well written book, makes one (or at least did me) appreciate how privileged I am in many aspects of my life. I'm not sure I could have coped as well as the characters did. Real life, believable events that are put together well for a entertaining read.

Linda Loved it! Robert is a great historal fiction writer! I read all his. books!!