Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Page Number Question on 0743435710

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (last edited Nov 28, 2008 11:02AM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 206 comments This is the 9th printing of this book - On Basilisk Station - so perhaps with more printings the publisher takes more liberties with the end of the book.

The actual novel ends on page 422. Then, it's followed by the first two chapters of The Shadow of Saganami until page 446. After that, it's nothing but ads for several pages.

The database here at Goodreads shows the book ending on 464. What do you do in this case?

Thanks

message 2: by Selena (new)

Selena (selenacurrently) Make sure your ISBN is correct for the book you're reviewing. I asked this same question just a little while ago. Amazon - the site we get our info from - sometimes overestimates page numbers. I've had to fix a couple of editions.

But that is the trick! Make sure you've got the right one! Otherwise you create an error instead of fixing one. :)

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 206 comments Yes, I know. I double and triple checked the ISBN, both on the cover and on the copyright page. There's even an ISBN on the inside cover. They are all the same - 0743435710

Thanks - Jon

message 4: by JG (Introverted Reader) (last edited Dec 03, 2008 07:36AM) (new)

JG (Introverted Reader) | 480 comments I asked this before and got the answer that we should only put the number of pages of the actual novel, plus any indexes (indices?) that are included. Any chapters from future books or advertising should not be counted. See posts 22-26 on this thread.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Good to know... I will have to correct some that I have changed in error, it seems. Thanks JG. =)

JG (Introverted Reader) | 480 comments You're welcome. I was obviously confused too! :-)