The Random Person's Book Club discussion

Question

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by peg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:41PM) (new)

peg (mcicutti) | 52 comments If you could,or were forced to be a ficticious character and live his/her life as your own,character flaws and all, who would it be? Why?

I would choose to be Chieko,the protagonist in Kawabata's The Old Capitol. At nineteen Chieko is on the verge of adulthood having been raised in the old Japanese tradition by loving parents. Chieko is a romantic and loves the arts and has all the time in the world to enjoy them. She sees the beauty in nature and spends much time out of doors enjoying it. Although her parents are traditionalists,Chieko is excited by the possibilities of modern art and technology and seems to be able to reconcile the old with the new. Chieko is a very intelligent 19 year old and seems to have all the attributes of a young woman destined to make wonderful decisions in life.

message 2: by Norman (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Norman (normanince) This is hard as most of my favorite characters have tragic stories, and I am not that keen on having a tragic life, thank you very much!

But if I were FORCED to live a fictitious character's life, I would choose to be the narrator's character in Zorba the Greek. He has great independence, loads of free time, and apparently enough money to not have to worry about it. He has studied Buddhism, enjoys writing, and relishes the day-to-day existence of an unplanned life.

message 3: by Amanda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Amanda (semerald1) | 3 comments if i were i would be Nancy Drew because she does dangerous mysterys and never gets really ingured or killed. And she is really smart,and clever

message 4: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Michelle (literarilyspeaking1) Hmm... I would want to be either Nick Caraway from Gatsby just because he was right in the middle of that amazing story, or Youssarian from Catch-22 (which I'm reading right now). I like Youssarian because he completely flouts all authority and tradition, and looks out for himself in a complete group-think situation.

Of course, I could do without that whole war thing...

message 5: by Karen & Gerard (new)

Karen & Gerard (wwwgoodreadscomprofilekzemek) | 6 comments I can think of a lot I wouldn't want to be, but if I had to pick one, it would be Zack from the Zack Files by Dan Greenburg because he has so many wild experiences.

message 6: by Tombo (new)

Tombo I would so be Tigerclaw from Warriors even though he's a bum

message 7: by Vanda Dien (new)

Vanda Dien | 3 comments peg wrote: "If you could,or were forced to be a ficticious character and live his/her life as your own,character flaws and all, who would it be? Why?

I would choose to be Chieko,the protagonist in Kawabata'..."

wow what an intro!...now i would want to know this Chieko more :)

message 8: by peg (new)

peg (mcicutti) | 52 comments I love Kawabata's work. "Snow Country" is amazing too.