Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Sorting authors with suffixes

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David | 1 comments Does anyone have a way to deal with suffixes such as junior or senior? I've noticed that the default sort doesn't handle suffixes correctly.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44643 comments Mod
For right now, there isn't a good way.

When author name becomes two fields (probably not for a long time), Tiptree Jr., James will sort properly, and so will Carlos Williams, William. Until then we're stuck with Jr., James Tiptree ans Williams, William Carlos.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments My preference would be an author sort field (now that they've got the title sort field entered and working) and I almost put in (another) request for this a week or two ago, but I thought I'd wait to see what happens with respect to the long-lost author synonymity which may change the way authors are dealt with anyway.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I had forgotten that suggestion! You're still right -- that would be the better option. :)

message 5: by Rdurie (new)

Rdurie | 4 comments Over 2 years have passed - any progress on fixing this sort issue - it drives me nuts!

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

There have been many discussions with the developers, but thus far there is no change in the current user interface.