The Agony and the Ecstasy: A Biographical Novel of Michelangelo The Agony and the Ecstasy discussion

Michelangelo

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth One of my favorite books of all time. The only regret is I began reading it while I was in Florence and wish I had read it before I went. Now I can't wait to go back but I will be waiting a long time. The author put so much passion into Michalangelo's love of sculptoring that made me feel like I was there. It was also very thoroughly researched- a great learning experience for me!

Mongosmom I have to agree that is also one of my very favorite books - if only because I have never experienced the depth of passion for any one thing as Michaelangelo had for sculpting and art. To be so absolutely consumed by the need to sculpt or paint that you forget to eat or sleep...

message 3: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob I have read this one several times, the first when I was in jr High. It's very long, but it always sweeps me away when I pick it up.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol I read this one back in the '60's and the story stays with me. i loved it.

Jenny S My husband is an artist and gave me this book to read. One of my favorites of all time. If you're passionate about anything in life this book will feed your soul. The research and writing is outstanding. I'll read it over and over I'm sure.

message 6: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Murray Thank you for reminding me of this book which I read years ago just before I went to Art College. I had
imagined myself as a sculptor but ended up studying
Textile Design! I enjoyed the passion of the book,and loved to imagine the beautiful costumes and palaces of the ruling families. Despite the dubious history,the
TV series about the Borgias looks georgeous. I am ordering a new copy of'The Agony and the Ecstasy'and'The Family' a novel about the Borgias by
Mario Puzo.

Lynda I loved this book. It's a nice long read and I was able to totally immerse myself in the time and the lifestyle of it. To experience this kind of passion and dedication would be incredible. Michelangelo had an amazing talent that endures to this day.

Gilly I have had to abandon this book which always breaks my heart. I just found that I really dreaded picking it up when it was my time to read. Maybe another time.

Preeshay I love this book for the reason "Its so so detailed n in-depth that by the time i ended the book i wondered what else was to know about Sculpturing n Michelangelo!!! its a complete know how bundle about both!!! thnx to Irving!!!

Jerilyn One of my top favorite books of all time. So engrossing and passionate, historically accurate, descriptive of images, places, people, and inner feelings as well. Love the depth of language employed in this multi-level experience.

message 11: by Tom (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom Rodda There's a revival of quality historical fiction going on right now, don't you think? People like Irving were ahead of their time with brilliant books like this. But some great (comparative) newcomers are about now - try Sansom, or T.D.Griggs - his DISTANT THUNDER, just out, is a bestseller in the making, or I'll eat my hat.

Laura I don't re-read books typically, but this is one of my all time favs and I will re-read it.

message 13: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Snyder I read this book many years ago & enjoyed it. Before a trip to Florence, I read it once more and upon seeing Michelangelo's work again was truly in awe of his passion, dedication & talent.

Anita Anderson This is the only book I have read four times. Also, I visited Florence before I got a hold on this book. There I bought a city plan, with streets and outlines of the main churches and buildings. I found that map when I first started reading this book. It was amazing. When second time I went there, it seemed so familiar. The book is wonderfully written. I adore art, and to understand how Michelangelo was living his life, and how all those beautiful works of art were created, it brought joy to me.

message 15: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Swike His passion, his interpretations of biblical characters and events which he created in his works, was amazing, and makes we want to travel to them in person.

Gabriela Halic I loved this book from the first line. It is one of my favorites and I became a fan of Michelangelo about I knew very little before.

message 17: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Swike I agree Gabriela. I am now a big fan of Michelangelo after reading this book.

message 18: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Michelangelo was so much about dedication and passion and it's a joy if one loves history and art as I do !
I have read this book twice - with the research, detail and feeling in this book, it's more than just a good read.
If you are going to visit Florence it would be a great thing to read this book first if you haven't already. Personally speaking, it made the moment of seeing 'David' up close a special moment.

Subsequently I have read other books by the same author which are also recommended....

Alexandra Alexyna One of my favorite books ever . I read it around 4 times but eaech time it moouved me . The passion and dedication of Michelangelo made me to consider him my rowl model . If you do with passion what u do u can become great

Daniela Amazing book! If I were to describe it in a word I would choose: Passion. Love it!