Matilda Matilda discussion

What literary character do you identify with the most?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Olivia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olivia Hey I've just joined this site and I'm enjoying it, does anyone know if there are any similar sites out there for music discussions / reviews?

message 2: by Olivia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olivia It's that classic tale of a mild-mannered, overlooked, walflower type character who blossoms into something extraodinary. Even if our life stories aren't quite as extreme as Matilda's ;)I think so many people like to identify with this tranformative process. To remember what we were as children and what we have become, and what we can still become. What are some other literary characters that you guys really identify with?

Janeen-san I indentfly with Katie, in Nick of Time. She is cute, funny, clever and brave. She is only seven! I am 13, but I thought she was an adorable character! Have you ever read that book, Olivia?

Janeen-san By the way, I really like Matidla, too. Its one my Favorite Book Shelv!

message 5: by Faith (new)

Faith Quick wow this is a hard question! i wish i could say i identify with anne from green gables! i would love to be more like her but that is where the similarities end! i am most like....well to be honest i would have to pick three or four characters and combine them together! i have to be able to feel either sympathy or empathy for my main characters in order to really get into their stories so i usually have something in common with them on some level....like anne i can understand her loneliness and her need for a best friend and to be close to her family....moll flanders i connected with because of her desire to be good and her true heart which was strong and resilient even though she did horrible things to survive that cut her to the core she was still able to rise above that and love....there is more but the general idea is out....the dark is rising...will i connected with his invisibility in the family, the way he was able to accept his role in life and make it better....there are so many more. it is why i am so passionate about reading! i learn more about myself from the characters in the stories!

Annelyse i didnt really read this book.....i read half of it then i stopped readding it

Lisa That's a tough one. Any books that have a boy in it that ends up having an adventure or has someone that looks after him. Like Dixie in Dixie North, Ponyboy from the Outsiders, or Brian from Hatchet.
I think it's because growing up I didn't get to do a lot of things with my Dad. I couldn't really relate to boys, but I liked reading boy stories instead of the prissy stuff.

Adela Bezemer-Cleverley I definitely identify best with Pippin from The Lord of the Rings. I suppose that's why he's my favourite character. He's just so helpless and never seems to know what's going on, and he's always making mistakes. He's the Underdog Archetype in the books (I was going to use that as my English Lit ISU topic but chose Gollum as a Shapeshifter instead)and that makes him a character that a lot of people can relate with.

message 9: by Mik (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mik Vargas I identify best with Matilda because I think that my parents are like Matilda's parents. Sometimes I would like to have someone in my life like Mrs. Honey.

message 10: by A.R. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A.R. McKenna Miguel wrote: "I identify best with Matilda because I think that my parents are like Matilda's parents. Sometimes I would like to have someone in my life like Mrs. Honey."

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I identify with her the most as well. I have always been socially awkward and escape into books.

Logan Matilda because i guess i like 2 read, and i am a curious little girl!:-D

Julia Dezotell Janeen-san wrote: "By the way, I really like Matidla, too. Its one my Favorite Book Shelv!"

ya same here

Amber I always thought I was like Jo (Little Women) but in reality I am more like Beth. Quiet and the kind of person people forget about.

Maryjo Schulte Miss Honey

Adela Bezemer-Cleverley Maryjo wrote: "Miss Honey"

aww :)

message 16: by Jj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jj Matilda most definitely lol

message 17: by Jj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jj Oh and Mrs Honey

message 18: by Rula (new)

Rula i am sort of like Hermione from Harry Potter because i love books and i am quite clever. i am also like Bella from Twilight because i can be a little bit accident-prone. but i am like Bridget Jones in a way because i am a little overweight.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a bit like Yellowfang in the Warriors series, I know she's a cat, but she acts kind of like me. :)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm most like Luna Lovegood,because I'm very spacy and have my own sense of style,I'm not that high maitnence,ad am fine on my own,I also have a curiosity for things others don't see and don't think about.

message 21: by Caitriona (last edited Feb 18, 2012 12:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caitriona I probably most see myself in Hermione from Harry Potter - we're both quite clever but have a profound fear of failure. We can both be a little stroppy too!
Obviously Beauty too, from Beauty and the Beast, because we both love to read! I got into the Disney film when I was very little, and Belle showed me that I wasn't alone or wrong in my love of books - at the time, we both came from communities that simply couldn't understand our bookishness!
Last but not least, Sara Crewe from A Little Princess, who is seen as a very odd little child, but who knows that inside everyone is a princess, whether or not they're surrounded by riches.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Hard question. I always thought I was a lot like Kate Wetherwell (can't even spell her name right, shows you what I know) from The Mysterious Benedict Society. She was pretty awesome. :D

message 23: by Hana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hana Faith wrote: "wow this is a hard question! i wish i could say i identify with anne from green gables! i would love to be more like her but that is where the similarities end! i am most like....well to be honest ..."

I know what you mean, I spent my childhood wanting to be anne of green gables, pollyanna and matilda all in one xD

message 24: by Brindha (new)

Brindha Matilda, is an awsome book

Sophie Ginger from Black Beauty... Seems I identify best with horses!

Aprilesparzarocketmail.com I definitely would identify myself as Matilda! Although, I wasn't gifted with her super powers. I love school, and school has always been my escape from reality! There are truly people out in this world that are just like Ms. Honey!!! It was my eighth grade math teacher! She opened her doors to me when I started my college career. She literally is my MOM!!! I love her to death, and life is just perfect! God is GOOD!!

Silver Logan wrote: "Matilda because i guess i like 2 read, and i am a curious little girl!:-D"

Same for me too! I identify with Anne from Green Gables also. I love characters who are quirky/oddball and misunderstood who feel lonely sometimes. Because that's how I am.

message 28: by tsarbucks (new) - added it

tsarbucks I really identify with Mina from Skellig. She's an odd, dreamy kind of a person and often gets lost in her reveries, like me:) what I like about her is that although initially she had a bit of a tough time with other people making fun of her, she didn't change for anyone. Hats off to you, Mina McKee!

Britny Ohliger Tally Youngblood in the Uglies series. Sometimes we get caught up in outward appearances and fail to realize, at the end of the day, you can fix your outside, but you are who you are, and you should be proud of that.

message 30: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Anne Shirley. :) Although I'm not a redhead. Sometimes creativity and imagination aren't appreciate enough in today's society. Anne didn't let that stop her and she kept on being herself. So in a way, I both identify with and wish I could be more like her. :)

Gabby Probably Jo from Little Women

Rebecca Laird I don't think there is one character I identify with completely. Rather, there are many, many characters that I have one or two things in common with, and so I find myself drawn to those characters. Also, it depends on what mood I'm in.

message 33: by Shari (last edited Nov 08, 2013 07:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shari I've always loved Jo March from Little Women, which is my favourite book, but I think I'm more like Meg March. Sweet,polite and gentle.

Hannah Dear I'm a mild version of Hermione.