Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

What We're Reading > 1/17 What are you reading? What's your weather?

Comments (showing 1-35 of 35) (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacey (new)

Stacey I'm still plugging along with The Snowman and should finish up in a day or two. I also started The Girl She Used to Be.

It's a nice 70, here in AZ.

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 55 comments I just finished The Keeper of Lost Causes and am about half way through The Emperor of All Maladies. I will be starting The Brooklyn Follies very soon as we will be discussing it in book club next week.

As for the weather, the Minnesota winter has been mild so far though today it is 10 degrees and windy.

message 3: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Acceptable Loss, about halfway through it and enjoying it. Three of my library holds have come in at once, and I'm going to hate to have to prioritize them.

Cold, windy, and snowy along Lake Michigan in Wisconsin. So much for my travel plans today!

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments I'm still reading CHOSEN by Chandra Hoffman. I'm really liking it but am only halfway through(!) because other stuff has been curtailing my reading time. Not doing a very good job on my New Year's resolution of MORE BOOKS READ so far!

It's 10:30 a.m., sunny skies, no wind (though we're supposed to get clobbered tomorrow!), and 25 degrees. We've had SUCH a mild winter in Colorado, mountains included!

Stacey, did you ever finish CUTTING FOR STONE, and was your first book club meeting fun?

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) I'm plodding through The Marriage Plot, and I am enjoying it. I just get sidetracked too much.
We had cold weather here for the last few days. Now, we have some nasty rain. I understand they had snow in Seattle.

I have to clean, but after that I might fit in some reading.

message 6: by Caroline (last edited Jan 17, 2012 10:26AM) (new)

Caroline  (Caro7) I'm reading The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes - and Why and finding it fascinating! Weather here in Baltimore, MD: rainy and cold. I actually slipped on ICE this morning and fell while holding my toddler. I totally was not expecting ice; it's chilly but is suppposed to be 58 for a high today. :|

message 7: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Mary- I DID finish Cutting for Stone! It was very good, but not everyone liked it as much as I thought they would. The book group was lots of fun.

Carol- I'm getting a ton of pics from friends and family in Seattle. I remember going into panic mode when it snowed in Seattle, lol.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) My son is in the process of moving to Capitol Hill from Columbia. When I spoke to him, he wanted to get his car back to the driveway of his old apartment. He was without a computer the other day, so he couldn't send pictures. I can't even imagine sliding up and down those hills.

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 67 comments i have tried to read this book twice and gave up - now my book club picked it for March - so maybe third time is a charm...

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments Stacey, I'm glad to hear your book group is cool. I have had no luck with finding a good group near me. That's why I have become addicted to Goodreads. I'm reading Intuition,which is about a group of cancer researchers who may be on the verge of an important breakthrough. I'm finding it interesting because I'm presently trying to find a position as a research assistant and plan to spend the next 6 years in psychology research. I'm also savoring Bringing Home The Dharma: Awakening Right Where You Are, a new book by one of my favorite western buddhist teachers. New inspiration for my practice is always appreciated.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Fly Back to working on What is Mine but I'll probably set it aside again and start something else tonight.

message 12: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Andrea wrote: "i have tried to read this book twice and gave up - now my book club picked it for March - so maybe third time is a charm..."

Andrea, which book is it?

message 13: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) I'm reading The Book of Live Wires by Gayle Brandeis. Sequel of sorts to The Book of Dead Birds: A Novel. I LOVE Gayle Brandeis!!

It is currently 3 degrees in Casper, Wyoming. High was 15 but I doubt it!! Low will be 2.

message 14: by Dan (new)

Dan Raymo (dan_raymo) | 22 comments Just started Stones from the River, a recommendation from Heather (I think -- I seem to remember Lucy Van Pelt being involved.) Enjoying so far. Still no snow to speak of here yet (dances a jig.)

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments Typical Michigan weather; 50 degrees and rainy/foggy all day, now 30 and icy pellets masquerading as snow.

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments Dan wrote: "Just started Stones from the River, a recommendation from Heather (I think -- I seem to remember Lucy Van Pelt being involved.) Enjoying so far. Still no snow to speak of here yet (da..."

I hope you like it as much as I do you blockhead (snatches football).

message 17: by Dan (new)

Dan Raymo (dan_raymo) | 22 comments Heather wrote: "Dan wrote: "Just started Stones from the River, a recommendation from Heather (I think -- I seem to remember Lucy Van Pelt being involved.) Enjoying so far. Still no snow to speak of ..."

Ha...I don't know why I always fall for that!

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Fly I've decided to start either A Year on Ladybug Farm or Soulless. Heather, I saw your recommendation for When God Was a Rabbit and have moved it up on my TBR list. Thanks!

Also, the weather here in N. Texas is typical. 70 one day, 40 the next, 70 the day after that....

message 19: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 95 comments I'm reading "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." Don't know why I never got around to reading it. It's quite lovely. This is only my second book of the year. At this rate I will be even slower than last year! Eek!

message 20: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Gretchen wrote: "I'm reading The Book of Live Wires by Gayle Brandeis. Sequel of sorts to The Book of Dead Birds: A Novel. I LOVE Gayle Brandeis!!

It is currently 3 ..."

loved The Book of Dead Birds. BUT the Book of Live Wires is only available on ebook. Why is this?? I'm still not getting an ereader, but this eliminates a lot of the audience.

message 21: by Theresa (last edited Jan 18, 2012 01:37PM) (new)

Theresa FOUR of my library holds came in at once, and I decided to start with Believing the Lie because I am an avid Inspector Lynley fan. After that will be the new Charles Todd.

message 22: by Dan (new)

Dan Raymo (dan_raymo) | 22 comments Stacey wrote: "Gretchen wrote: "I'm reading The Book of Live Wires by Gayle Brandeis. Sequel of sorts to The Book of Dead Birds: A Novel. I LOVE Gayle Brandeis!!

It ..."

I was a little hesitant to get a Kindle, but now I'm hooked. I can crank the font up (so I don't need glasses), don't need book marks, can take as many books as you want on vacation with something smaller than one book. The charge will last for weeks. You run out of books...you can download a new one instantly. The main drawback is that a lot of books aren't available as e-books (the opposite of your problem) I think we'll see more e-book only versions though, because it's so easy and inexpensive to publish an e-book, and the profit margin is much higher.

message 23: by Melki (new)

Melki I think I caught a mild case of Stacey's "book slump".
I can't seem to find something and stick with it. In the last two weeks, I've started and given up on Never Let Me Go, The Promise, and Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History. I feel kind of bad about "The Promise", since it is for the neighborhood book club, but I gave it 130 pages - almost 3 times what I usually give a book I can't get into - and I just didn't care about what happened to any of the characters. Hope some book really grabs me - and soon!

message 24: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Stacey wrote: "Gretchen wrote: "I'm reading The Book of Live Wires by Gayle Brandeis. Sequel of sorts to The Book of Dead Birds: A Novel. I LOVE Gayle Brandeis!!

It ..."

It is only 129 pages not sure why they would do something like this. Maybe will be like hard back to paper back. Will come out in later in hard copy. :( Wish I could print it out and send to you.

message 25: by Melissa (last edited Jan 18, 2012 06:20PM) (new)

Melissa (melissa419) | 123 comments I'm reading Those Who Save Us this week and am highly enjoying it. Finally had our first substantial snowfall of the year in Western New York last week. Some flurries today and very cold.

message 26: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Stacey wrote: "Gretchen wrote: "I'm reading The Book of Live Wires by Gayle Brandeis. Sequel of sorts to The Book of Dead Birds: A Novel. I LOVE Gayle Brandeis!!

It ..."

Stacey I could be wrong but if you go to the google ebookstore you can get The Book of Live Wires for 2.51 and read on your PC.

So far I'm loving having Ava back in my life!!! Well worth the money.

message 27: by Liz (last edited Jan 18, 2012 11:43PM) (new)

Liz I'm currently reading Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison about a woman's year in a federal prison. I just picked up a big pile of books from the library & want to read them all next. ;-) I'll just have to see what sounds good when I finish this one.

Here in No. CAL they've been predicting rain all day but we're still waiting for it. I was out earlier & it actually looked like the sky might be clearing. But we need it so badly I'm really hoping it will happen overnight. At least it's not as cold tonight - its been in the low to mid 20's the last few nights!

message 28: by Sam (new)

Sam (Ecowitch) | 157 comments I'm currently reading Off on a Comet by Jules Verne but I did finish You Really Couldn't Make It Up: More Hilarious Bizarre-but-True Stories from Around Britain by Jack Crossley and Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith earlier this week.

At the moment its a bit drizzly but mild, the start of the week was bloody freezing though which made my site visit on Tuesday somewhat less pleasant (and limited mobility due to the large number of layers worn)!

message 29: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Sam wrote: "I'm currently reading Off on a Comet by Jules Verne but I did finish [book:You Really Couldn't Make It Up: More Hilarious Bizarre-but-True Stories from Around Britain..."
Sam, what did you think of the vampire hunter book? A movie version is coming out this summer, I think.

message 30: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Stacey wrote: "Gretchen wrote: "I'm reading The Book of Live Wires by Gayle Brandeis. Sequel of sorts to The Book of Dead Birds: A Novel. I LOVE Gayle Brandeis!!

It ..."

Stacey, I think there is a way to put an e-reader on your computer. Maybe someone more tech-savvy knows the details?

message 31: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Dan wrote: "Just started Stones from the River, a recommendation from Heather (I think -- I seem to remember Lucy Van Pelt being involved.) Enjoying so far. Still no snow to speak of here yet (da..."

"Stones" is one of my very favorites, too.

message 32: by Dan (new)

Dan Raymo (dan_raymo) | 22 comments Theresa wrote: "Dan wrote: "Just started Stones from the River, a recommendation from Heather (I think -- I seem to remember Lucy Van Pelt being involved.) Enjoying so far. Still no snow to speak of ..."

I'm a little put off that the 3 year old is 10 times more perceptive than I am (the average 3 year old is only about twice as perceptive as me), but it's really growing on me (only about a 1/4 of the way through.)

message 33: by Sam (new)

Sam (Ecowitch) | 157 comments Theresa wrote: "Sam wrote: "I'm currently reading Off on a Comet by Jules Verne but I did finish [book:You Really Couldn't Make It Up: More Hilarious Bizarre-but-True Stories from Ar..."

Personally I loved it (enjoyed it that much I read it in about five hours!). Really, I didn't know that, I'll have to keep my eyes open for that one! Have you read Theresa?

message 34: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Sam wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Sam wrote: "I'm currently reading Off on a Comet by Jules Verne but I did finish [book:You Really Couldn't Make It Up: More Hilarious Bizarre-but-True..."

I liked Abe Lincoln as a vampire hunter, too, but I didn't think it was as good as Pride & Prejudice & Zombies.

message 35: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (Caro7) Vicky wrote: "Melki wrote: "I think I caught a mild case of Stacey's "book slump".
I can't seem to find something and stick with it. In the last two weeks, I've started and given up on [book:Never Let Me Go|633..."

I finished Never Let Me Go a few months ago. I liked it, but didn't love it. I don't feel it's anything all that special--although the story did make me feel sad toward the end. I consider it a success when a book can evoke emotion in the reader.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Girl She Used to Be (other topics)
The Snowman (other topics)
The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer (other topics)
The Keeper of Lost Causes (other topics)
The Brooklyn Follies (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gayle Brandeis (other topics)
Seth Grahame-Smith (other topics)
Jack Crossley (other topics)
Jules Verne (other topics)
More...