Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > End of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Check this article out:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27774058/...

Progress, right? Am I missing anything?

I had no idea there were 65,000 gays and lesbians in the military. That must a tough life...if they're in the military out of a genuine desire to serve their country, despite the persecution against them in the service, more credit to them.

Also, this will be an interesting issue (among many, I suppose) for Obama...

message 2: by Arminius (new)

Arminius I had no idea either. If so then the current "don't ask don't tell" policy is working fine.

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly "the current don't ask don't tell policy is working fine."

... I'm pretty sure those 65,000 people would have something to say about your definition of "working fine," Arminius. Working fine for whom, exactly?

message 4: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) It's working... it's just ignorant and intolerant.

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
According to a very pro-Bush family member the Clinton administration's damage to the military was repaired by the Bushies, with don't ask don't tell, among other things. She is sure that the Obama administration will lead to such upheaval in our military (and thus our country) that the next 9-11 is inevitable.

Where in the world is such a faulty reasoning born? Who creates these weird ideas? It took me about 23 minutes to type and retype this short paragraph. That probably shows that I have no business in this conversation, and will shortly get ripped a new one by someone demonstrating all the flaws in my logic. I'm out of my depth on these political threads, and it shows.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sallers, you belong here as much as anyone.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments "Don't ask, don't tell" doesn't work. It forces the removal of servicepeople with needed skills, such as interpreters and translators, for no other reason than their sexual orientation. And the military takes a financial hit, too.

But the GAO also noted that nearly 800 dismissed gay or lesbian service members had critical abilities, including 300 with important language skills. Fifty-five were proficient in Arabic, including Copas, a graduate of the Defense Language Institute in California.

Discharging and replacing them has cost the Pentagon nearly $369 million, according to the Center for the Study of Sexual Minorities in the Military at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

Army dismisses gay Arabic linguist

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Sally, I'm not sure I understand your family member. Wasn't "Don't ask, don't tell" Clinton's policy? Not Bush's?

message 9: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) It was a compromise (in the Clinton admin) between the Dems who wanted to lift the ban and the Reps who wanted to have a ban on gays in the military firmly in place.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Right, but Sally's post makes it look like Clinton lifted the ban completely and then Bush came in and changed it to don't ask/don't tell. Not the case.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

Well, see Sarah, what I was trying to say in that entire post is that my perspective is based on very biased hearsay, so I felt awkward even voicing what I've heard - but it is what I've heard about don't ask/don't tell.

I don't entirely understand my family member either.

message 12: by Gåry! (last edited Nov 18, 2008 10:42AM) (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) Yeah, I know people who come up with those ideas too... usually based on ignorance of actual facts and unfounded fear.

They're in my family too, Sally... (not to mention a few friends and co-workers).

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) OH. Gotcha. Yeah, your source has their info wrong.

message 14: by Gåry! (last edited Nov 18, 2008 10:44AM) (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) Sarah, write this down. I agree with you. ;)

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) It had to happen sometime.

message 16: by RandomAnthony (last edited Nov 18, 2008 10:53AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh...that's a good one, Natalie...

(I'm stealing it)

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

Wait, there was a Natalie comment on this thread that was erased? Who was this Natalie/mystery woman?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.