BOOK-A-HOLICS discussion

Authors Corner > DO YOU WRITE?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
I was wondering if we have any writers in here. A few have spoken up and I want to encourage you to brag on yourselves a little bit to express your views and goals in writing.
This is not an assignment... lol it is just to see who is out there in goodreads land.

message 2: by Scott (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

Scott | 3 comments Yes I write. I have written on and off since I was about 18, I have yet to submit anything for publication, but intend to in the near future.

My goals, well I'm not interested in becomeing a millionaire through my writing, I write because it's what I love, if I could earn £1 more than I need a year writing short stories and poetry I'll be happy.
I'd love to try and write a novel sometime, but I'll be happy to write short fiction and poetry if I can earn £1 more than I need a year.

You can check out my work, aswell as others and submit your own o my site,

http://www.freewebs.com/writersplaygr...

So check it out an let me know what you think. I also have a forum (accessable via the site), to try and create a community of writers and yes readers that can help each other offering tips, advice and exsperiances.

By the way, on the site I'm Satanic Writer. :)

message 3: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

£1 a year is not a huge retirement plan.

message 4: by Scott (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

Scott | 3 comments I don't inted on retireing from writing...I love it toooooooo much.

message 5: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I am a writer. I currently have one book out and it is called "My Written Thoughts". It is a compilation of poems that I have written over a period of 4 and a 1/2 years. I also have some writings up on my profile. They are just pieces from my creative writing class.

message 6: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

I was thinking of writing a book called the LAZY MAN and the whole book be written in CAPS. wouldn't that be fun.
WES

message 7: by Gary (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:41PM) (new)

Gary | 2 comments yes, i'm also a culprit, guilty as charged: inksmeared deadtrees, bearing my name; author (also editor; also translator). about nine, to date.

i'd write one in all lower case, entitled SHIFTLESS

message 8: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Rachel | 4 comments um... i write. where my room is space untaken by books, random crap, books, and more books, i have piles upon boxes, upon piles (LITERALLY) of things that i have written , along with 2 folders and sketchbooks of things that i have drawn. i aspire to publish something before a year is up, before 17, and hope to be finished with my already three note books, and one notebook, long novels by 18.... im a nerd with high expectations... i know!!!

message 9: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I plan to write a YA fiction book that is mainly set in Ireland. I have other novel ideas but I'm concentrating on this one for now.

message 10: by Maranda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Maranda i write i have a story on my comp its LONG

message 11: by Lena (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Lena I am one of the guilty as well. My novel about one woman's involvement with a corrupt spiritual teacher came out last year -

http://theheartofacult.com/reviews.htm?

As for views and goals in writing, well, I think there are few things more satisfying than following an idea down the path of liteary discovery. My main goal as a writer is to hold onto the joy of that process regardless of what happens with my work in the surreal world of publishing.

message 12: by Naomi Jayalaksana (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Naomi Jayalaksana | 1 comments I love writing, it's like a perfect pain killer to me. It keeps me back on track and give me back my peace of mind. Even if most of my writings have been published in mag or newspaper, but I don't think that they're good enough. Still striving to be better and better. I want to write best features like Tom Wolfe.

I plan on joining a scholarship program from AMINEF, taking journalism as majority. Wish me luck! :)

message 13: by Meaghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Meaghan (meggilyweggily) I've been writing since I was eight years old and I plan to make a career out of it, but I haven't tried to publish anything yet. You can see some of my short stories in my profile.

I half-hate writing actually. I'm very good at it and it's worth it to me to do it, but the actual process is painful. It's like squeezing a zit: you squeeze, you wait, you squeeze harder, your eyes water from the pain, you squeeze even harder, ahhh, this hurts...then, sudden release, and an odd feeling of satisfaction.

message 14: by Peter (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Peter | 1 comments I write. Most people believe I write because I have to (I'm an academic living in the world of "publish or perish"), but I write to show other people what I see, the way I see it.

I've been blessed to learn a critical method evolved over the last sixty years called "media ecology." I've learned this method through the writings of Lewis Mumford, Jacques Ellul, Harold Innis, Eric Havelock, Marshall McLuhan, Edmund Carpenter, Edward T. Hall, Jack Goody, Elizabeth Eisenstein, and many others. I studied at NYU under Neil Postman.

My first book, Printing, Literacy, and Education inEighteenth Century Ireland: Why the Irish Speak English won the Marshall McLuhan Award for 2007. My next book is an investigation of how different media create and support different conceptions of reality (and, consequently, of what is not real) and ultimately shape our values.

I've written about television, I've written about something I call "media theology," I've written a book, I've written articles, I've written book reviews, and I haven't made a cent at any of it.

I write because I have to, but not because anyone's making me...

message 15: by Robert (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Robert (rgbatduke) I've already spoken up in another thread, but I'll do so again. I write. Magazine articles, scholarly publications, fiction, philosophy, nonfiction and above all poetry, which I truly love. Well, I love all the rest too -- it would probably go poetry, fiction, philosophy-mathematics-science, history, nonfiction.

I already cited my book The Book of Lilith. I just got quite a boost from one of its early readers who emailed me this two days ago:

"My partner often described herself as a Lilith. I had no idea what she meant. While searching for a gift for her birthday I came across your book and read the Preface online @ lulu.com. I was mesmerized and purchased it right away. She laughed and cried, ignoring me for days, mesmerized. I laughed and cried consuming the entire book in literally one long session. Then I slept a beautiful sleep cuddled by my own Lilith. When I awoke I understood so much more about the fabric of human nature, about religion, about the cosmic joke, about my own Lilith, about me as Adam.

Your book is a gem! Thank you so much for we both feel a little more enlightened and grateful that your remarkable ideas are now a part of us."

This came pretty much out of the blue. The writer is from Australia, indicating how international the book work has become.

I've also got two books of poetry out. My poetry might be a bit retro in its style compared to modern poets -- I absolutely adore Yeats and think he is the greatest poet of the English language, so he and other romantic era poets have had a disproportionate influence on my style. The poetry is available either for free on the web or for people who like to actually own books of poetry (there don't seem to be many, at least compared to other book genre buyers) there are paper versions available via Lulu.

I've got two weblinks for people interested in seeing what I'm doing in this area. One is my page on The Author's Den:

http://www.authorsden.com/visit/mytit...

This has sample poems from my books, a short story that is kind of fun and free, and the preface to The Book of Lilith (which is part of the story, which is narrated in a frame).

There is also my Lulu bookstore:

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcc...

where the books can be previewed in their entirety for free in the lulu browser or purchased if you decide you wish to own one. Lilith is a bit cheaper on Amazon or B&N though -- they discount a bit and you can get free shipping a lot of the time.

I'm actively working on some of the books on the Lulu site -- notably the SF novel and the Electrodynamics and Computing textbook -- be warned. I'd be happy to send a free PDF of the SF novel to anyone who wants to read it now just for grins -- there are a few typos that I've got marked out and am waiting for a free day to squash but it is otherwise pretty much a finished work.

I cherish reader feedback (even if it isn't quite as glowing as the bit above -- the guy actually started up a website devoted to the book here:

http://www.mycoolbook.com/lilith.html

which means I suppose that he and his wife really liked it:-) so feel free to drop me a line if you read any of these works and the spirit so moves.

Thanks!

rgb

message 16: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) i write. mostly i write poems. i had a couple of notebooks full of them, but when my house burned down, i lost them. i had some published. also, i have typed up on a few different writting sites, and saved to disks, this way it's harder for me to lose what i have left.

i've started writing short stories. i've written one so far. it's in my profile.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

As both an avid reader and an editor, a zine that flaunts its "unedited" nature is, I'm afraid, a death knell for my possible commercial interest in such an endeavor.

Writers without editors are PURE PAIN.

message 18: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Thanks to all the new members and older members for making this group grow. You guys make me think we have started a good thing. (a single tear travels down cheak)
To all the Book-A-Holics out there be safe and have a great holiday.
WES

message 19: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Laura (laurastamps) Hello, Everyone (*big wave*)!

Thanks for the invitation to this group. Yes, I am a novelist and poet and have been at it fulltime for almost 20 years. Here's my bio...

Laura Stamps is an award-winning novelist and poet. Over a thousand of her poems and short stories have appeared in literary journals, magazines, and anthologies worldwide. Winner of the "Muses Prize Best Poet of the Year 2005" and the recipient of a "Pulitzer Prize" nomination and seven "Pushcart Award" nominations, she is the author of more than thirty-five novels and poetry books. Her magickal urban fantasy novels are published by Trytium Publishing. The latest novel in this series, "The Witches of Dixie: Book One of the Witchery Series" was released in October of 2007. A Wiccan Faery Witch, Empath, and Psychic, she has been involved in feral cat rescue for more than thirty years and currently cares for six housecats and a feral colony of cats. More information about books by Laura Stamps can be found at http://www.LauraStamps.blogspot.com and http://www.OccultFiction.blogspot.com .

My latest interview just went live yesterday. You can find it at http://www.BohemianBookMarketing.blog... . It tells you a little more about me and my latest novel, "The Witches of Dixie."

Happy reading and magickal blessings!

message 20: by Dana (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Dana (librareader) | 6 comments I used to try my hand at what I would call writing I guess. Some decent to god-awful poetry, a few essays, some stream of consciousness stuff. Really only for me, you know to vent and work out random ideas floating around. I've only shown my writing to a very select few friends, and I would never consider moving beyond that. SO I guess I'm a no???

message 21: by Veronica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) I absoloutly love writing! I have yet to be published as I am working on my first novel. I also started a group called writing passionates, just for all those who enjoy writing on goodreads the only requirement is to, at the least, like to write. the love or passion(hence the name) of writing is however, recommended.

message 22: by Bren (new)

Bren | 2 comments I have always written. Since I could, I was writing. Being shy, it's my best form of expression and emotions. I was offered a contract once in college from a publisher. My Professor got together with the Dean and sent in my novella. It was accepted. I was offered the contract with a bonus, but had to have a complete novel in five months. Being a single mom, working full time, attending college full time, I knew I could not pull it off and keep my sanity, so I sadly and regretfully declined.

Now that my 5th child is in school, I know am once again focusing most of my free time on writing. I hope to be published some day. That's my one of my goals. I only have three left, that being one of them. So, we shall see what the future holds. :-)

message 23: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Roman | 6 comments Hi there. While I have written a lot of things, I have not been published officially. I put one of my stories, "The Train Station" onto audio and have sent it out to mostly friends and such. If folks were to ask me of my scribblings, I would normally respond with a comment bordering on "I have about 450 pages of uncompleteed short stories. I have finished a few which I will be more then glad to share.
Am currently working on three main projects and look forward to sharing them with you all.

I look forward, as well, to read some of the groups writings. I find it the best medicine out there.
So, I am glad to meet you all and look forward to interaction, in a sense.

Chris

message 24: by Salma (new)

Salma Yup! Nothing would please me more than to be able to do it full-time, though...we'll see

message 25: by Patty (new)

Patty | 2 comments Yes I do write. I write all the time. My name is Patty Pobanz and I'm the author of a book called, "Everlasting Peace In Your Life. God's Reminders to the World" It's a book that helps people to find more peace and happiness in their lives and I believe it's a book that can benefit everyone. If you want more info about it, you can find me here at Goodreads and/or go to my website at: www.pattypobanz.com

I love writing, it's a great way to express yourself. I'm also in the process of writing two more books, so hopefully I'll get those completed really soon too.

Have a Happy New Year! And much peace and happiness to everyone for 2008!

Patty Pobanz

message 26: by Tawana (new)

Tawana Parker | 2 comments i write not as much as i use to but i have been writing since i was able to write i love it and wish i could make a career out of it some day

message 27: by Salma (new)

Salma Just curious- does anyone know of any good online writer's critique groups? I write short stories, and I've managed to get some published, but so far I've been my own critic and I think it would be good to find people willing to read my stuff..lol. On the other hand, it terrifies me to read my stuff out loud to others- hence the online thing. Any help much appreciated! :-)

message 28: by Steven (last edited Jan 07, 2008 04:36AM) (new)

Steven | 5 comments I'm an author. I've wrote two autobiographies. My first book is called 'Amongst The Marines'. It was published in 2004 and went onto be a Mainstream Publishing bestseller. It caused a bit of controversey when it was released but is based on fact. This book has also been published in Australia and New Zealand by Random House and quite recently in the Czech Republic by Oldag publishing. In 2005 my sequel autobiography 'Always A Marine' was published. Both books are still active in the market place.

I work for Citigroup in the UK. My hobbies are writing, keeping myself fit, martial arts and playing table tennis in the local town leagues.

Here's a newspaper article written shortly after my second book was released:

http://archive.thisisthenortheast.co....

Also: Like some of you, I would love to write books on a full time basis, but what you realy need to kick start your career is a film about your book or books. However, I'm sure we're all aware, that unfortunately that doesn't come easy.

Best Wishes

Steven Preece

message 29: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (jodiemill) | 7 comments When I was younger I wrote alot. Little short stories, poems, etc. But lately I haven't been able to. Maybe because of time restrictions now with work, keeping up my apartment, laundry, etc.

I would like to write again. I do write letters to people here and there. (snail mail letters - I love to get mail like that.)

message 30: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ yeah i am a total writer!!! i try to write every single day but i have a lot of homework 'cause i'm only fifteen so i can't always...but i've written one full-length novel (after a ton of failed attempts, believe me) and now i am currently working on another one. you can read excerpts from both of these on this site. here are the links:
http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/1...

message 31: by Sella (last edited Apr 09, 2008 05:16PM) (new)

Sella Malin I am a writer. I write every second of free time I have, and when I'm not my head is buzzing with ideas. I get most of my ideas when I'm in bed, before I fall asleep, and sometimes I will write early in the morning (2:00) when I can't get any sleep. The thing I want most of all is to publish a book, but since I'm only thirteen that's probably not going to happen for a while. So far, these are the links to the writing I have on this site:

message 32: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (StandWhereIstand) | 1 comments I'm a writer. I've been writing since I was 12. I used to write a lot of poetry, but now I write fiction. I've published 5 short stories and am actively trying to get some novels published. I've posted 3 of my stories and the first chapter of my first novel on my profile.

message 33: by Kenzie (last edited Apr 11, 2008 04:54PM) (new)

Kenzie I am most definitely a writer, and a reader. I think it's important to keep the balance. I love to write because I like to read. Whenever I finish reading a book I think, "wow, one day I want to write a book like that." It's so nice to pick up a book and read what somebody else has written, so I decided to write one, to see if it has the same pleasure. What do you know, it does. I love to write now. It's such a great feeling to write, read, re-read, and watch others read what you have written. I encourage everyone to try. It's a way of expressing yourself.

message 34: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ i added some more writing. here it is:

http://www.goodreads.com/story/list/8...

message 35: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Since I added more writing, here's the link to all of it:

http://www.goodreads.com/story/list/9...

message 37: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ i'm trying to get some feedback on a joint story that me and my friend are writing. here is the link to it:

message 38: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) There is a story that the Writing Passionates group is writing together. There are actually two versions. this is the second:

message 39: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ someone please read the joint story... only three people have read it. :( plus i added some more chapters to soul stealer.

message 40: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Can people read Brigid and my story, Moon Rise? Also, if you're already there, you can read my other writing as well. :D

message 41: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ yes, please read me & sella's story, and sella's other writing too cuz it rocks!
and i added another chapter of the untitled joint story, if anybody cares... ANYONE??!!

message 42: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Yay! You added some more?? *rushes over to Brigid's profile*

message 43: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ lol. thanx sella. :D and i just posted more of soul stealer.

message 44: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (random_pink) | 2 comments I've been writing a lot since I was a kid. I always did it for fun. Recently I have found I want to write professionally. I have a few ideas, started a few stories but'coz I'm a uni student I don't have enough time to focus on it:(

message 45: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 38 comments Yes, I started writing poetry in 4th grade. In 6th grade I got my poem in a book which was really exciting! But now I write storys, hopefully to turn into books! My mother says that I'm a morbid writer.lol. For any of you who doesn't know what mrobid means, it means I write about death. No,no I'm not a person who's goth or emo. I just write really deep.

message 46: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ i know what u mean, chelsea. i'm writing a pretty depressing book right now, which is weird because i usually hate reading and writing depressing stories. i was telling my mom about it, and she seemed kinda weirded out that i was writing something so sad. she was like, "i thought you hated sad stories". and i'm like, "but this story is different..." idk. i keep reading over it and saying, "this is so emo..." but i don't really mean it. i'm definitely not emo; i'm actually pretty optimistic. but this one depressing story just came to me, and i had to write it down cuz it was so good. i don't really know how to explain it. lol. :D

message 47: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 38 comments Yeah, my mother looks at me like she's deciding if I should be in a mental hospital, because of the deprecing storys I write. It just makes me laugh when she's says that I have problems with writing story like that! lol :) No I'm not crazy either. lol So far my storys about four children who get left behind when their parents die in a car axcident. One's real quit about it, one gets mad at everything and everyone, one wants to be around her family, and one doesn't know what to be.

message 48: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ sounds like a good story :D

message 49: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ the book i'm writing now, soul stealer, is kinda emo. my mom was asking me what it was about, and i was like, "ummm... death." and she was like, "okay..." lol. it's on this site, chelsea, if u ever want to read some of it. here's a link:

have you posted any of your writing chelsea? (or are you planning to?)

message 50: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie Hey, if anyone's reading my writing, I posted a new chapter of Runaway, book 2, and Brainwashed.

« previous 1 3