Dark Fantasy and Beyond discussion

Currently Reading...

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alyssa Blaine B (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:33PM) (new)

Alyssa Blaine B (sdblaine) | 4 comments Mod
Was wondering if anyone's reading any good dark fantasy books or series' resently and what they might be~

message 2: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Laura (LauraStamps) Hmm. In the last month or two I have read some good ones, because I am addicted to series (grin).

I discovered Jeanne Stein when I read a story of hers in the vamp anthology "Many Bloody Returns." So I checked out her series "The Anna Strong Vampire Novels" and was hooked. The first book in the series is "The Becoming" and the second one is "Blood Drive." The third novel, "The Watcher," will be out in January 2008, I think.

I also read Patricia Briggs "Mercy Thompson" series about shapeshifters and Weres. I had never read Briggs before, but enjoyed a story of hers in the shifter anthology "On the Prowl." The first novel in the MT series is "Moon Called," and the second one is "Blood Bound." The third one, "Iron Kissed," will be out in January 2008. And the short story I read introduces a spinoff series about Charles and Anna. The first novel in that series will be out in 2008, and it is called "Cry Wolf."

Now I am working my way through Rachel Caine's "Weather Warden" series. The supes in this series are not vamps or Weres but Djinns, which is unusual and entertaining so far. The novels in this series are:

1.) Ill Wind
2.) Heat Stroke
3.) Chill factor
4.) Windfall
5.) Fire Storm
6.) Thin Air

Netx I'll be starting series by Vicki Pettersson and C.E. Murphy. Big fun!

message 3: by Tess (new)

Tess | 7 comments I just finished "Eclipse" by Stephanie Meyer, the third book in her YA series Twilight, about a girl who falls in love with her vampire classmate. Very Good!
I am going to start "Tangled Webs" by Anne Bishop soon. It comes out on the 4th of March!
I also read Karen Marie Moning's "Darkfever" and "Bloodfever," but don't know when another will come out in that series. These are pretty good - an average 22 year old girl, Mack, from the South goes to Dublin when her sister is murdered and discovers she can see Fey. Her sister could see the Fey, and now Mack discovers she can too. She is being drawn into some massive war between good and bad Fey.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Kronk | 2 comments I don't know if these would be considered DARK dark but my fav fantasy series is the Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier.

message 5: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) Currently finishing up The Indifference of Heaven by Gary Braunbeck and have slated the rest of the Conrad Williams books I haven't read yet [Rain, The Scalding Rooms, Nearly People, & Use Once Then Destroy].

message 6: by Phoebebb (new)

Phoebebb One Foot in the Grave by Jeanine Frost. LOVE IT!

message 7: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Reading "Nightlife" by Rob Thurman. So far, so good. Cal and his brother Niko (love that name) are likeable characters. Very interesting premise.

message 8: by C.E. (new)

C.E. (cedorsett) Nightwalker By Jocelynn Drake it is pretty good so far

message 9: by Phoebebb (new)

Phoebebb Now I’m reading Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

message 10: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) Currently finishing up the Conrad Williams novels with his book of short stories collections called Use Once Then Destroy.

Anyone interested in Dark Fantasy should check out Conrad Williams, specifically The Unblemished or London Revenant. Amazing work. Also might want to check out The Indifference Of Heaven by Gary A. Braunbeck. Very good works.

message 11: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (fionam) | 2 comments Oh Vicki,

I envy you.... I read this years ago and loved it..

So clever.. Enjoy

message 12: by Oscar (new)

Oscar | 2 comments Gormenghast, enough said.

message 13: by From (new)

From (_fromana) just finished Tooth and Nailed by Hannah Murray

message 14: by Alan (new)

Alan Baxter | 7 comments I'm on book 3 of the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks - adult oriented high fantasy. Very good stuff.