Barbara Delinsky Reading Group and Q&A discussion

1 view
Captivating

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

Melissa Gilmore | 1 comments This book was very captivating. It is a topic that is very relevant in our society today. The pages turned themselves and my imagination was alive throughout the book. This is the first book I have read by you and I can't wait to read more. How did you decide how far to take the conflict of African American heritage in an appearing white couple?

message 2: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

Barbara (barbaradelinsky) | 33 comments Mod
Good question, Melissa. In the process of doing research, I worked with geneticists to determine exactly what you ask -- how far back to set the African American connection. I wanted Lizzie's features to be possible -- not necessarily probably, only possible. I actually had been planning to have the original racial mix go back a little farther, but the geneticists told me not to. I listened.

message 3: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

Tara (tara_n) | 7 comments I also thought this book was captivating. After reading it, I became curious about my own ancestry. I can go back to my great-great-grandmother, Julie but I want to go a little further and find the point where European and African first meet. Your book has led to me trying to piece together my own ancestry, which might seem odd, but it's been an interesting adventure so far.

message 4: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

Barbara (barbaradelinsky) | 33 comments Mod
I'm touched that my book has inspired you, Tara. With recent advances in DNA science, we're all able to learn so much more than we ever could before. Good luck with your search!