What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

To Reign in Hell
This topic is about To Reign in Hell
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Heaven and Hell Satan's character is a dog (I think.) The angels are preparing for some phenomenon to occur that either produces or executes angels. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris (creemabee) | 2 comments My BIL suggested this book to me, and told me it was his favorite. Unfortunately, I only read the first chapter before he grabbed it out of my hands. (He didn't want me to take it home.)

Anyway, it is a story about the creation of heaven and hell. Satan's character is a dog (I think.) The angels are preparing for some phenomenon to occur that either produces or executes angels. (I didn't get that far while reading.)

I know the book is out of print now. I'm sorry I don't know much more about it. I would really like to read it, but my BIL is not willing to part with his copy.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily (emmy1066) | 49 comments I think it might have been "To Reign in Hell" by Steven Brust.

In this telling, one is far more sympathetic to Lucifer than ... God (who had a different name). I think Lucifer has a sidekick dog named Beelzebub.

I recall liking that book very much.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily (emmy1066) | 49 comments And Satan and Lucifer are two different characters, sorry.

From Wikipedia:
firstborn angels: Yaweh, Satan, Michael, Lucifer, Raphael, Leviathan and Belial.

Satan rules the South with his loyal servant Beelzebub, trapped in the body of a golden retriever.

message 4: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris (creemabee) | 2 comments Yes! That's it. I knew that Satan wasn't a dog, but I could remember that there was a dog there. Thank you so much.
Now,if I can find a copy... LOL!

message 5: by Erica (new)

Erica | 47 comments But you HAVE to also read "Good Omens" which is incredibly funny (and the hellhound has an excellent cameo). I think it's by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett (sorry I am really too lazy to go look it up now).

message 6: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) Erica, you got the authors of "Good Omens" right. It is a seriously funny must-read book.

Peter (bookish_peter) | 13 comments "To Reign In Hell" has the particular distinction of being the most borrowed-and-not-returned (aka "stolen") book I've ever owned; I must have had four or five copies taken before I instituted a strict no-borrowing policy. And oddly enough, everyone I know who has read it has had the same experience.