Jane Austen discussion

General Discussion > Additions to this group's Bookshelf

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
I added books to the Bookself which we discussed in our thread "Who is like Austen today?" These are books written during the modern era that were reminiscent of Austen's wit and style.

I thought they might interest others who didn't see the thread yet. Refer to the previous thread if you want to discuss any of them or add any yourself.

After all, Austenites need SOMETHING else to read! :]

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 32 comments That's a great idea! I know where I will be stealing some more ideas of what to read now!!

message 3: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

You might make a further comment about Austenland -- or you may have already somewhere within the group's messages -- let us know.

We were looking at novels that are not necessarily derived from Austen's storylines. For ex., modern authors that might be creating novels on the level of Austen's originals. Do you think Austenland would fall in that category?

I am not really familiar with Austenland, but have intended to read Shannon Hale's books in The Goose Girl group.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann | 69 comments Great idea to add these books the bookshelf, Sarah! :D

And I've got Goose Girl on my e-shelf and my real-shelf. I bought it earlier this year but... well... there's SO many books I've got on my shelf that I decided to wait to read it in the spring/summer.;) I'm really looking forward to it though!

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreag) | 5 comments I just ran across The Jane Austen Handbook on the publishers website. It looks like a fun reference for Austen-ophiles.

message 6: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Thanks for the continuing suggestions. Maybe we will keep ourselves busy reading this winter!