Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > New title - foreign language

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Actually, you can write the data in any language you like, but if you're having trouble picking one, English is a pretty safe bet on this site. :) We pull a lot of automated data from various countries' Amazon.com listings, so you'll see books around here with all sorts of languages.

I would suggest two things with this book, though:

1) You can add secondary "authors" with roles other than author -- for this book, you might want to add "Sérgio Molina" with a role of "Translator", "Gustave Doré" with "Illustrator", and "Maria Augusta da Costa Vieira" with "Introduction". You'll see them added to the book looking like "Sérgio Molina (Translator)", and it will link to the author page for "Sérgio Molina".

2) On the sidebar there's a box listing "other editions" with a link to "combine editions". Here's where you can join this book up with the other listings for it -- I'm guessing this is book one of Don Quixote from the title, and it would combine with -- oh. Well, this is probably not a very good example of the situation, because it looks like the various editions here are in something of a mess. Usually what you'd do would be to combine this edition with the other editions of it, but I'm not quite sure how to tell which other editions are the same book. Sorry!

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Oh, awesome! Thanks for tackling that.

message 3: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 25 comments I wonder if someone can help me with this, as i'm not familiar with the process.

I was just trying to add a book that's not available through amazon.com, but through amazon.co.jp
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0...

It seems that because i'm not in Japan, i'm not getting any results when i do a search. Even selecting amazon.co.jp in the search option. There is a different edition here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...
But i'm not able to add/search for the rest of the books in the series.

Am i doing something wrong?

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44178 comments Mod
The only items with ASINs that will import are Kindle editions.

message 5: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 25 comments Yes, i noticed there was no isbn for that series. I guess i'll have to it manually and hope for the best. LOL