Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments (showing 1-50 of 141) (141 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Aug 07, 2012 01:55PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 22486 comments Mod
I'm issuing myself a random challenge. Since challenges are so popular elsewhere on the site. I'm going to read 10 books:

1. A book by a woman.
Done. Shadows on the Rock by Willa Cather.

2. A book about American politics (nonfiction).
Done. The Liberal Tradition in America by Louis Hartz.

3. A novel set in 20th century Britain.
Done. The Longest Journey by E.M. Forster.

4. A book with author's last name beginning with N.
Done. The Great Silence: 1918-1920 Living in the Shadow of the Great War by Juliet Nicolson.

5. A nonfiction work that discusses literature.
Done. The Cambridge Introduction to the Novel.

6. Any work of historical nonfiction.
Done. Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality: Gay People in Western Europe from the Beginning of the Christian Era to the Fourteenth Century by John Boswell

7. A book about art (nonfiction).
Done. Rackstraw Downes by Sanford Schwartz, Robert Storr, and Rackstraw Downes.

8. A book of essays.
Done. On the Contrary: Articles of Belief, 1946-1961by Mary McCarthy.

9. A novel set in France.
Done. La Bête Humaine.

10. A novel written between 1910-1940.
Done. Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh.

No time limit, they don't have to be read in any order. They aren't required to be the next 10 books I read. The only rule is that they can't be re-reads. I will come back and make a note of what book I've read, as I finish it.

Feel free to make your own random challenges here. Or not.

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11400 comments Are you allowed to knock off several of the 10 with a single book? Maybe a novel set in 20th century Britain from a female author whose name begins with N?

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) I'm involved in a couple of challenges - All About You and Around the World in 52 Books

Enjoy your challenge, LG. I'm looking forward to your choices.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Phil wrote: "Are you allowed to knock off several of the 10 with a single book? Maybe a novel set in 20th century Britain from a female author whose name begins with N?"

Uh......NO.

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17283 comments Mod
Oh I like this. If I could I would. Right now I am reading a book by a woman, can that be my number one?

message 6: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Sure.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Janice wrote: "I'm involved in a couple of challenges - All About You and Around the World in 52 Books

Enjoy your challenge, LG. I'm looking forward to your choices."

Janice is a moderator for several challenge groups. Interesting, Janice.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sally wrote: "Oh I like this. If I could I would. Right now I am reading a book by a woman, can that be my number one?"

Cheater.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

Fucker.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Also, I snickered when you said, "Can that be my number one?"

Number one. Heh. What's going to be your number two, Sallers?

message 11: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments My challenge for this year was to read 100 books, just 3 more to go and I'm done.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I guess they'll have to be small books.

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I go for quality, not quantity.

message 14: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments I go for quality as well (just look at my read shelf), I'm just a fast reader. I have read around 100 books for the past few years, one year even more than 150, but I read a lot of plays and poetry that year.

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yes lots of quality there. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, I hope you know. I'm just making excuses for my lack of speed.

message 16: by janine (last edited Dec 18, 2011 06:37AM) (new)

janine | 7715 comments I know you weren't saying I don't read quality, but I still had to defend myself :) I've had a look around your read stats and you do seem to be reading longer books than me. You read 26 books = 11000 pages, I've read 97 books = 26000 pages. You don't have to make excuses for your 'lack of speed'. 11000 pages is still very substantial, and quality really is more important than quality. So as long as you can say you enjoyed what you're read and were challenged by some of what you read I say you had a succesful year book-wise.

message 17: by Cyril (new)

Cyril | 493 comments I just looked through my copy of Ulysses and saw that I finished reading it in 2007. I'm working on Modern Library's list of 100 best novels of the 20th century, and I'm discouraged that it's taking me so long (I'm little more than half way through). I thought it would take two years at most, but I think I'm actually becoming a worse reader as time goes on. I'll pass on any new challenges for now.

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Often the only time I have to read is late at night when I start falling asleep after 3 or 4 pages. It's a miracle and a wonder I have read that many pages, J.

And yes, I do enjoy what I read. I have learned so many things this past year from the books I've read.

message 19: by Charly (new)

Charly I'm actually doing a challenge is another group. 12 classics by 12/12.

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments great idea. i may consider a book challenge my self.

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

::watches as Kevin considers his own self a book challenge::

message 22: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11400 comments Kevin is an open book.

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

Kevin needs some curtains.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments como?

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

ko?

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments what? (in espanol)

message 27: by Sally, la reina (new)

La puerta esta abriendo. Puedo veerlo su "self challenge" en technicolor. Necisitas, como se dice, "curtains" in espanol?

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments cortinas

message 29: by Sally, la reina (new)

bueno. gracias.

guacamole?

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments yes, that is my ferret's name

message 31: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11400 comments Sally was able to ferret that out quite nicely.

message 32: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm a ferreteer.

message 33: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) At least she didn't badger it out of him.

message 34: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) We don't need no stinkin' badgers!

message 35: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

People. Please. Could we have a clean thread and limit our discussion to book challenges?

Thank you.

message 36: by ~Geektastic~ (last edited Feb 07, 2012 07:41PM) (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments This is my TBR challenge from a different group (12+2 books that have been on my TBR for a year or more).

1. The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
2. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
3. Nightwood by Djuna Barnes
4. A Gentle Madness by Nicholas Brasbanes
5. Chicks Dig Time Lords by Lynn M. Thomas
6. Possession by A.S. Byatt
7. Franny & Zooey by J.D. Salinger
8. Camilla by Frances Burney
9. The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
10. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
11. The Princess Bride by William Goldman
12. The Golden Bowl by Henry James

Alternates:
1. Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen
2. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

I also want to make a challenge especially for TC, but I haven't determined the parameters yet.

message 37: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Amber, how did you pick those particular books? Did everyone pick from their TBR?

message 38: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Amber, how did you pick those particular books? Did everyone pick from their TBR?"

Most of them were just books that I've been saying I would read for years, or that I have started and never finished. They also needed to be books I owned, as I don't want to buy any books for the challenge (with the exception of Chicks Dig Time Lords, as I plan on buying it soon anyway). Yes, for this specific challenge everyone chose from their TBR, whether on Goodreads or just in general.

message 39: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I made my list not thinking of any particular books, but with categories broad enough that I wouldn't have much trouble finding a book from my personal collection. I was surprised though how few (unread) authors I own whose names start with N.

message 40: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I made my list not thinking of any particular books, but with categories broad enough that I wouldn't have much trouble finding a book from my personal collection. I was surprised though how few (..."

That's the approach I think I will take with my own TC challenge. The TBR challenge is very specific, and I had rotten luck with it last year, so much so that several of the books on this year's list were also on the last one.

message 41: by Barb (new)

Barb Lobstergirl wrote: "People. Please. Could we have a clean thread and limit our discussion to book challenges?

Thank you."

*hiss*
Seriously, though. The only challenge I've ever really attempted is to read x-amount of books from the year you were born ... I only read one (The Thornbirds).
I really should set myself some goals for 2012. I shall think about this.

@ Amber. I think I've told you this before, but I love The Mists of Avalon!

message 42: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "People. Please. Could we have a clean thread and limit our discussion to book challenges?

Thank you."

well, better not catch you making off topic comments anywhere....

message 43: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Barb wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "People. Please. Could we have a clean thread and limit our discussion to book challenges?

Thank you."

*hiss*
Seriously, though. The only challenge I've ever really a..."

You have, but it's ok because I think I've mentioned the book several times, as I keep starting it and not getting anywhere. It's weird, because I like it, so I don't know why I can't ever seem to get past the middle, especially as I love Arthurian legends in nearly any form.

message 44: by Barb (last edited Dec 19, 2011 08:31AM) (new)

Barb OK! I figured one out.
Imma gonna read in order of the alphabet.
The authors last name must start with the correct letter, going in order from A to Z, and I'll try to pull them from my existing TBR mountain.
Will start in the new year.

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments Amber, I loved your 9 through 11. I hope you do too!

message 46: by Barb (new)

Barb Oh, how did I miss Book of Lost Things? That was great.

message 47: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Barb wrote: "Oh, how did I miss Book of Lost Things? That was great."

That's another one I always get halfway through and then get distracted! Weird.

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments I told my sister to read it. She called me right after the scene with the huntress and said "Really? You want me to finish this book?" But I told her to persevere, and then to follow it with The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making. She ended up loving both.

message 49: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "I told my sister to read it. She called me right after the scene with the huntress and said "Really? You want me to finish this book?" But I told her to persevere, and then to follow it with [book:..."

That's the thing; it's right up my alley so I can't figure out why I don't finish it. And The Girl Who, etc. has been on my TBR since I first discovered it existed.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (other topics)
Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality: Gay People in Western Europe from the Beginning of the Christian Era to the Fourteenth Century (other topics)
Never Let Me Go (other topics)
Sky Burial: An Epic Love Story of Tibet (other topics)
A Prayer for Owen Meany (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Boswell (other topics)
Ellery Queen (other topics)
Xinran (other topics)
John Irving (other topics)
Anton Quintana (other topics)
More...