Scott County Readers discussion

Introductions

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (Frigate) | 44 comments Mod
Welcome to Scott County Readers! Who is your favorite author and what is the title of your favorite book? Please let us know three other random things about you and to get things started, I'll go first!

Favorite author - hhhmmm, that so depends on what I read last. Peter James is one of them, Solzhenitsyn and Dickens are a couple of others.

Favorite book - Andersonville by McKinley Kantor

Three random things:
I've ridden a camel (not recommended)
I've adopted four cats and six horses
I love bleu cheese.

Next!

message 2: by Roseann (new)

Roseann (Roseannmvp) | 4 comments Hi- Thanks for making this group!
Favorite Author: Barbara Micheals
Favorite Book: too hard
Three Random Things: I've ridden a camel and been a camel groomer (they spit!)
I enjoy full-body-poodle wrestling on rainy days.
I think Lady Gaga is way better than Madonna ever was!!!

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Welcome Roseanne! You poodle-wrestle and I cat-wrangle (and I totally agree on the Lady Gaga bit!)

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 2 comments Such hard questions! I'll condense my answers as much as possible...

Favorite author:
Children's Picture books- Mo Willems
Juvenile Fiction- Beverly Cleary and Avi
Teen fiction- J.K. Rowling and John Flanagan
Adult fiction- Kristin Hannah

Favorite book(s)- Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Harry Potter

Three random things:
All three bicycles that I have owned in my life have been named after characters from Beauty and the Beast.
Mowing is my not-so-guilty pleasure.
When washing dishes, I will always end up covered in water, no matter how carefully I clean.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

I love it that you name your bicycles and I'll remember that mowing part this next summer (I HATE mowing!)

It IS hard to name a favorite book or author, isn't it?

message 6: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Anderson (JohnWHOSmith) | 1 comments Favorite authors: J.K. Rowling, Douglas Adams, Jonathan Stroud, Lemony Snicket

Favorite Books: Harry Potter(1-7), Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, Bartimaeus Trilogy, A Series Of Unfortunate Events.

Three Random Things:
I still believe in Santa Claus
My Dream House is underground
I have Ridden a Goat

message 7: by Melissa (new)

You go Tyler! I'm picturing an underground house something like Bugs Bunny's; I'm afraid to picture you riding a goat!

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1 comments OK, here I go.....
Love Murder, Mystery, and Mayhem.......some classics and some poetry (bet you didn't expect that!)
Murder/Mystery: Lee Child, John Sandford, Anne Perry
Classics: the Bronte girls, Jane Austen, Dickens
Poetry: Robert Frost (love him), Emily Dickenson, Byron

Three Random Things:
I studied piano and pointe-ballet.
Want to learn skeet shooting.
And it's none of your business what I have ridden!

message 9: by Melissa (new)

LOL! Anne Perry... hhhmmm....

I agree Frost is one of the best overquoted-yet-underappreciated poets ever.

message 10: by Angel (new)

Angel B | 1 comments i dont think i could ever narrow down my favorite author or my favorite book! i do enjoy jk rowling, cs lewis, cassandra clare, suzanne collins, and many others! as for favorite books, anything by any of these authors!

1.) i am originally from gtown, but now i live in bowling green.
2.) i teach fourth grade and a lot of my reading reflects that : )
3.) for stephanie and her bikes - my all time favorite movie is beauty and the beast!

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Welcome Angel! I agree its almost impossible to pick a favorite author and book - my list changes constantly it seems (and my choices are only some of many!).

And it's good to see you still keep up with us even though you are on the far side of the world! Hope to see you around in the discussions too.

message 12: by Mike (last edited Jan 14, 2012 09:29PM) (new)

Mike Key (PigSkull) | 6 comments Any book that features severed body parts, biking and making beer is all right by me! It's difficult finding books that embrace all of these nuanced subjects. Pride and Prejudice comes close. I need to start writing for this. My niche market awaits!

I see y'all like to ride strange critters. Scariest thing I ever rode was a lawn mower tractor without brakes. I screamed like a girl as I careened downhill out of control bouncing off maples, oaks and sweetgums. Thank goodness for those runaway-tractor-stopping-rose bushes! Of course, I started screaming all over again when I hit those. I need to plant thornless roses.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Just how fast does a lawn mower go?

message 14: by Mike (new)

Mike Key (PigSkull) | 6 comments Have you seen the hill in my front yard?

message 15: by A (new)

A | 2 comments Hiya!

Fav author: Scott Lynch, Patricia Briggs, Tolkein, Tamora Pierce, Megan Whalen Turner, more and more keep popping up every day.

Fav book(s): The Lies of Locke Lamora, Mercy Thompson series, Last Apprentice series, Queens Thief series, The Poppet and the Lune, Poison Study, Harry Potter and more and more and more!

Random:
I know how to ask for a glass of beer in Norwegian.
I can't wink my right eye.
I am captivated by animals and wildlife.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Welcome Audra! It's hard to pick a favorite author, isn't it? But you have some good folks on the list and a good variety in favorite books too!

So how do you ask for a glass of beer in Norway?

message 17: by A (last edited Mar 07, 2012 06:20PM) (new)

A | 2 comments "So how do you ask for a glass of beer in Norway?"

In Norwegian, of course. :D

I couldn't resist.

It would look like this: Jeg vil gjerne ha et glass øl
And you pronounce it: Ya vilyana har et glaus ool

I visited Norway and learned some of the language. That phrase is just a lot of fun to say.

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Oh ha ha!
It does look cool and I think I'm going to have to practice that now - I'd hate to think what they'd hand me if I tried it there though. :-P

message 19: by brenda (new)

brenda Campbell | 1 comments It is hard to narrow down a fav author so I will just name a few I love.veronica Roth,Suzanne Collins,Rachel Caine,and the list could just keep going so i'll stop there.

as far as the random facts, I am no where near as interesting as the rest of you
*I was the CEO of our high school bank
*I got my first tattoo when i was 29 on a very huge
impulse
*at age 30 I regretted the tattoo..lol

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Love the tattoo bit! And it sounds like you have some good authors there! I haven't read Rachel Caine but she looks interesting. Welcome to our group!

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 7 comments Hi Fellow Scott County Readers!

Like many of you, I find it too difficult to pick a favorite author. I like to read a variety of books and there are few authors that I continually stick to. That's why I like the library, I can try it all!

My favorite book is by far To Kill a Mockingbird.

Random:
1. I've been in three school bus accidents.
2. I'm a beekeeper with one hive in my backyard.
3. I can't help but read everything - back of shampoo bottles, billboards, t-shirts, this discussion... (:

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Ha! I do the same thing - the reading everything "thing" that is! To Kill a Mockingbird is simply a perfect book and one that's stuck with me powerfully through the years as well.

I can't imagine being in three school bus accidents - or living too close to bees for that matter. Though the proximity to honey would be sweet. :D

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 7 comments I agree about To Kill A Mocking Bird - while pregnant I seriously considered the names Atticus (boy) and Harper (girl)!

1. As for the bus accidents, luckily everyone survived. 2. I've only been beekeeping for a year, so I'm hoping to gather honey next fall. Only been stung twice while tending to them! 3. There is a quote from an author, but I cant remember who, about reading being like breathing.

Maybe I need to explore this group more, but I'm curious how this got started? Melissa, do you work at the library or are a big fan of the library? :)

message 24: by Bekea (new)

Bekea Hey there! (here?)

My favorite author can shift with my mood, but currently, I'd say Terry Pratchett tops the list with a close follow up of Tad Williams. George RR Martin used to be a close third, but he's been on my bad side since taking so long to finish Dance With Dragons, haha.

This decision is also complicated by the fact that 95% of my reading these days is to the under 5 set, so I have to throw Mo Willems in there. Love his books!

Favorite book is just a terrible thing to ask a reader! Cruel and unusual punishment!

Three random things about me:
1. I don't like To Kill a Mockingbird, which usually puts me on everyone else's hit list. ;)
2. I use my toes to pick things up off the floor/ground. It's an especially helpful talent with 3 kids.
3. I love old school movies and can't remember the last movie I saw in a theater.

message 25: by Melissa (last edited Sep 12, 2012 08:29AM) (new)

Lauren wrote: "I agree about To Kill A Mocking Bird - while pregnant I seriously considered the names Atticus (boy) and Harper (girl)!

1. As for the bus accidents, luckily everyone survived. 2. I've only been be..."

Lauren wrote: "I agree about To Kill A Mocking Bird - while pregnant I seriously considered the names Atticus (boy) and Harper (girl)!

1. As for the bus accidents, luckily everyone survived. 2. I've only been be..."

I must confess, I work in that fabulous place (the library) but I've been on Goodreads for awhile. Thought we needed a place for all of us to share what we've been reading and thinking about and I'm always happy to see people here!

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Bekea wrote: "Hey there! (here?)

My favorite author can shift with my mood, but currently, I'd say Terry Pratchett tops the list with a close follow up of Tad Williams. George RR Martin used to be a close third..."

Bekea wrote: "Hey there! (here?)

My favorite author can shift with my mood, but currently, I'd say Terry Pratchett tops the list with a close follow up of Tad Williams. George RR Martin used to be a close third..."

Ahh! So you are more into the fantasy authors - those are some good ones! I have to laugh though at your comment about To Kill A Mockingbird - you and Lauren should have some interesting discussions!

unread topics | mark unread