You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > What are you currently reading and why? (CLOSED)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 4,095 (4095 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 81 82

message 1: by Jenny (last edited Nov 13, 2008 01:05PM) (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I'm interested to know why people choose certain books - recommendations, pretty cover, good reviews, liked the film?

I'm currently reading Blindness as it is our chosen group read, but the last book I read was The Book Thief, I'd bought it in one of those 3 for 2 offers and it had great reviews!

message 2: by Dylan (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:38AM) (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 5 comments Right now I'm reading New Moon. I chose this book because I loved Twilight, and also because I heard the author got better at writing after the first book. I love horror novels, so I got Interview with the Vampire. The movie was so good, I just had to start reading the book. :D

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I hear a lot of good things about Twilight, I may have to give it a go!

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) I'm currently reading three books:
The Boleyn Inheritance - it's a historical fiction, which is the chosen genre for the month for another book club I belong to, and because I read The Other Boleyn Girl and liked it;
Let's Talk Turkey - I picked that because I thought it would be neat to learn the story behind some popular American expressions;
The Chris Farley Show: A Biography in Three Acts - a friend mentioned this to me a couple weeks ago, when we were in the library; I was a Chris Farley fan, so I thought I'd pick it up.

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) I just started The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. The reason is simple... I have wanted to read it for awhile.... so I saw it last week and bought it.

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I tried to find that in the library today!! Wasn't there though :(

message 7: by Kelleen (new)

Kelleen | 2 comments I am reading PIllars of the Earth by Ken Follet due to numerous recommendations from friends and family. I can only read one book at a time as I completely immerse myself in it. The next book I'll be engulfing is The Grapes of Wrath also because of recommendations. Though, I'm slightly hesitant. Isn't it supposed to be depressing and dark?? Any comments?
I would really like to dig in to Twilight as well. I have heard it is absolutely wonderful--page turner to say the least and I love those!!

message 8: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) I am reading A December Wedding by Anita Shreve because I had some book tokens and when choosing what books to buy I wanted to buy a couple by authors I had read before and a couple by authors I hadn't read before. I have read two other books by Anita Shreve, Body Surfing and Light on Snow, and enjoyed them both so just randomly picked another one of hers!

I keep seeing Twilight mentioned on here but I looked at the book yesterday when I was in town and I don't think I'm going to succomb to that one. Doesn't look like my kind of thing. Is it wreitten for teens or adults?

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I'm pretty sure Twilight is a 'Young Adult' book.

message 10: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments Five Miles from Outer Hope by Nicola Barker.

I haven't started it yet, but chose it because it's (apparently) about a 16 year old on a potentially dull English holiday in the same year I was 16 years old and went to the same English town on holiday that we always did. It will be interesting to see to what extent it chimes with my memories of the period.

message 11: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) That sounds interesting CFSR. Let us know if there are any comparisons to your experiences!

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) | 354 comments Currently reading the Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling, (almost done). I chose it because I wanted to see how badly Disney hacked at this story now that my son wants to watch it all the time!

Twilight is a crazy page turner. It sucked me in and I am still not sure why, as the story really isn't that great, but the vampire characters are intriguing and the mythos Stephanie Meyers put behind them is totally new and original. It's a good story if you want to be sucked in, but I'm waiting on the second one until I have the time to be sucked in again.

message 13: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Kelleen - I hope you like Pillars of the Earth. It's one of my favorites.

Heather - I felt the same way about Twilight. Story wasn't that great, but I just could not put the book down.

I am currently reading The Lace Reader because I read a pretty good review on it. I am also reading The Last Summer of Reason for the Great African Reads group. I am liking them both so far.

message 14: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I'm reading Lonely Planet Bali & Lombok because we're heading there next month and I need to do a little research.

The last book I read was Cross Country by James Patterson and I read that simply because I read all JP's books, can't get enough of the Cross series, as soon as a book is out I buy it!

message 15: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments I'm currently reading Emma because it's one of those books I've been meaning to read for years and years now.

message 16: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) I've just finished reading The Girl with the Drgaon Tattoo which was for a book group on another forum ... I've now started Rococo by Adriana Trigiani - this was for a bood swapping site I go on - there is a challenge to read your earliest unread swap. I'm always swapping books and never getting round to reading them, so I though this would be a good challenge! This was the first swap I did way back in 2006 and has sat unread since then!!

message 17: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) I'm reading the unbearable lightness of being because it's the book group read for this month for the 'real life' book group i attend! it was actually my nomination and i'm now starting to wish it wasn't!!! i'm finding it good but it's pretty heavy!

message 18: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments Have you read The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Kundera? I remember reading it when I was in college and traveling abroad in Eastern Europe. I loved it and have been meaning to pick up The Unbearable Lightness of Being ever since but haven't yet!

message 19: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 16 comments I am reading A Great and Terrible Beauty, because a friend on GR has convinced me I can't go the rest of my life without reading it (okay, the rest of 2008 without reading it!)

message 20: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) No Jaime I haven't this is the first Kundera book I've read. I think I'm enjoying it quite a lot!

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I'm now reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, I think it was Jaime who recommended this to me and I'm loving it :)

message 22: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments Glad to hear you're enjoying the book, Jenny! Alice,I'd love to hear what you thought of the book overall once you're done. I really think I have to pick it up!

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I'm currently reading a book called The Blonde Geisha. I bought this book online and had no idea it was an erotic novel. I thought I would give it a shot but so far I'm not really happy with it.

message 24: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I added that book to my tbr list the other day and then noticed from the reviews what it was about he he!

message 25: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikkibfabulous) I am currently reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. It's pretty interesting so far. It's a novel; I believe it's based on real events-which makes it even more interesting.

message 26: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) | 354 comments I just started The Fortress of Solitude a couple days ago. I'm now on page 109 and I am still not too sure about it. I dunno. The story just isn't sucking me in so much.

message 27: by Allison (new)

Allison (theallisonnelson) | 27 comments Jenny, I'm reading Peony in Love by Lisa See! I only just started but I like it so far. I'm glad you love her other book, that will be my next one!

message 28: by Jenny (last edited Nov 13, 2008 10:32AM) (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Yeh that one has already gone on my tbr list and I'm only just half way through snow flower :)I'm really enjoying it though!

message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 52 comments Right now I'm reading The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death by Laurie Notaro. It's so funny! I'm actually reading with along with Blindness. Blindness is so intense that I need to mix it up with something light.

message 30: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) Oh Nikki The Bell Jar is one of my all-time favourites - you're right, it is semi-autobiographical. I had a bit of a Sylvia Plath obsession in my late teens. I must re-read it actually!

message 31: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jlopez9203) | 3 comments I am currently reading the times travelers wife. My friend gave me a great review and so far so good. Sometimes I choose a book based on reccomendation, other times I choose books because of a theme or culture I am interested in. Love this stroy so far.

message 32: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I really liked The Time Traveler's Wife, Jackie, it was the first kind of those books I had read so wasn't quite too sure what to expect. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

message 33: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) I loved The Time Traveler's Wife too! Haven't found anything similar since ...

message 34: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments Mandy, you said, re The Time Traveler's Wife , "it was the first kind of those books I had read". I loved the book, but I find it hard to categorise. What "kind" of book do you think it is?

message 35: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Hm, I'm not sure, I've heard it called romance, yeah, maybe but I find it very hard to put in a category. When you find out let me know :)

message 36: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikkibfabulous) She is kind of interestingly quirky. I am half-way through and she is slowly going into her mental illness (I'm not quite sure the PC way to say it). I would love to get your thoughts, after your refresher. I also heard there was an article in the magazine Mental Floss, about her and this novel.

message 37: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikkibfabulous) I loved The Time Traveler's Wife. It's a little different from what I normally read, it was a little science-fiction? Great read. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

message 38: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) | 354 comments The Time Traveler's Wife is one of my favorites. I think I've read it at least 2 or 3 times already. Still very hesitant about the movie they are making of it...but ahh well, we shall see. I hope you really enjoy it, as some people I know just did not like it.

message 39: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I have the time travellers wife sitting on my bookshelf. Really should read it, loads of people have said how good it is.

message 40: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I'm currently reading Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch and it's pretty good so far, only about 70 or so pages in but those 70 pages went by very swiftly.

message 41: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I just started The Friday Night Knitting Club...its starting out really slow. Does anyone know if it gets better?? The last book I read was awful so please HELP!

message 42: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) | 354 comments Stephanie - I really enjoyed it because I am a novice knitter and really identified with some of the characters, however, some ladies in my mom's book club whined that it was overwhelmingly "treacley" (sp?). the pace definately picks up through it, but I didn't like the ending, and that's all I'm gonna say about that.

Mandy - Loved that book!! Hope you love it too!!

message 43: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikkibfabulous) I just started The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver. It was a Today Show recommendation. Any thoughts?

message 44: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) I am reading Faithless - Karin Slaughter. Because its part of a series and I like Crime & Thriller novels.

message 45: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments They're making a film of Time Traveler's Wife? Euw. Not sure how or if that will work (and not just all the different ages required for the leads).

message 46: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I'm now reading The Other Boleyn Girl and I'm enjoying it so far. Reading it as another group is having an historical fiction month and it has been in my TBR list for ever!!

message 47: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) I'm currently reading A Dirty Job. It's been highly recommended and I needed a lighter read, after finishing The Chris Farley Show: A Biography in Three Acts.

message 48: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Just finished Faithless - Karin Slaughter. Will now read Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom as I am swappin with someone.

message 49: by Melanie (new)

Melanie I am starting Lamb by Christopher Moore upon the recommendation of my husband and several friends.

message 50: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Some great books you all are reading. Still going with Good Omens and finding it very funny!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 81 82
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.