Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Does Library Books Count?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy"Intergalactic Bookworm" (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Judy"Intergalactic Bookworm" | 1 comments Hi-

My name is Judy and I am on a tight budget. While it is rare for me to go to bookstores, I am the same way that a lot of you are with library books. I have about 50 books out right now. Do I qualify for this group? Judy

message 2: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I think if you love reading and you would die if there weren't any books in this world... You Qualify...lol.

message 3: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) as long as the 50 books you took out from the library are going to be read, and not going to be used as a nightstand or plant table, then heck, yeah, you qualify!

Welcome to the group.
And Happy reading.

message 4: by Schnaucl (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Schnaucl | 9 comments Of course library books count! I've had to start tracking which books I read are from the library and which I already owned or I'd rarely get the books I actually own read. Library books have a due date, after all, and books I own do not. But I can't justify continuing to buy books if I never read them so... right now I'm about 50/50. Technically I've read a few more books that I don't own than books that I own because I've also read a few books that I borrowed from non-library sources.

The library is wonderful, especially if you're on a tight budget. I'm fortunate to live in an area with what I believe is the 3rd largest library system in the country.

message 5: by Llama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Llama Castillo | 34 comments of course they do! i just wish i had a list of the library books i have read over the years, my list would triple at the very least. I always like to buy books then i can set them down when i dont have time to read them instead of forgetting to return them or returning them before im done.

message 6: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Tara (tara_n) | 22 comments They count. I see it as "a book is a book is a book", so whether you own it, rent it, borrow it, pilfer it (not that I'm recommending that) or write it -- the book counts! Welcome to Goodreads, Judy!

Your library lets you check out 50 books at the same time? Wow, I think the library here puts a limit of like 5 or something. I usually buy my books but I LOVE libraries, they smell like home, paper, ink and joy to me. If I could take out more than 5 books, I would be in trouble (with myself). I'm planning on getting more books soon (as if I need more, I still have 6 books sitting on my couch waiting to be read, not to mention the books in my "to read" list that I have yet to check out, rent, buy, or borrow (not pilfer cause I have a guilty conscience).

message 7: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:33PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I could hardly wait to post my comment. In an effort to try to "curb" my addiction, I got a library card. I used this weekend to check out my next book club "Suite Francaise" and I was SO proud of myself. But when I went to check out I was told that it is a "hot off the press" book and therefore I can only have it for 1 week, no renewals...now, even tho I love to read, there's only so many hours in my day and i KNOW i will not have it finished in one week...my boyfriend just laughed and asked me why I even bothered to get a library card, because he (and I) know....

message 8: by peg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

peg (mcicutti) | 24 comments I guess only option would be to "forget" to return the book until you finish it, in which case you will probably be fined as much as it would cost to buy the book second hand:)

message 9: by Schnaucl (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

Schnaucl | 9 comments Diane,

Wow, that's harsh. I've also heard of libraries that make you pay $1 to reserve off the presses stuff. That's annoying.

Fortunately, I don't have those issues in my library. You can have books up to a month and as long as there are no holds on the book you can renew it twice (for a month each). I think CDs are also a month but DVDs are a week.

message 10: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) LOL regarding renewal fees..what I did not mention (which is also pretty funny) is that I was told that when I return the copy I currently have, I can go to the shelf and check out ANOTHER copy of Suite Francaise....just so long as it is not the copy that I currently have checked out!

message 11: by peg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

peg (mcicutti) | 24 comments Now, that makes sense!

My "Free Library" charges $2 or $3 to rent,I mean borrow, a best seller. I can just imagine Ben Franklin turning over in his grave on that one.

message 12: by colleen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

colleen (colleenfl) I'm fortunate to live in a county with a library system that lets me check out up to 100 books at a time. They don't charge for interlibrary loan books either. They've also bought 24 titles so far this year that I have requested. The circulation desk people are friendly and greet me by name and have my books ready for me by the time I walk from the door to the checkout desk. I'm lucky!

I used to buy tons of books but I can't afford that now so the library is just great.

message 13: by Jessica (thebluestocking) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Jessica (thebluestocking) (jessicaesq) I think you definitely qualify for membership. In fact, my husband keeps encouraging me to use the library more often! :o)

message 14: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) More on my library copy of Suite Francais - we got a reminder email today that it is due back on Saturday! Too funny.....almost as funny as Meg's Free Library charging $2-$3.

message 15: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Peg - so i returned Suite Francois (again) only to need to recheck it out (again) and it is no longer a "hot off the press" book, so now i can have it for the full 3 weeks :)
LOL