Harry Potter discussion

Movies > Why All The Missing Scenes?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) We all know that there were many scenes in the 5th movie missing. But why?(Besides the obvious answers). I personally think its because they keep changing directors and each new director has his or her own way of shooting the movie, and what scenes need to be included.

What are your thoughts?

message 2: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments That is good Ashley. I think some directors read the book and they don't like certain aspects of it. Maybe they didn't like Dobby very much or something.

message 3: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments maybe they don't wanna add a lot of characters and special effects anymore and concentrate on the acting abilitites of the main characters. and yes, different directors may be a factor coz they have different perspectives in making the book a movie. i just wish the original director will direct the last book/movie coz he stayed so close with the book.

message 4: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I agree with you Peng. They need to have the guy who directed the first Harry Potter movie because he does stay closer to the book. We should start a petition of some sort..lol.

message 5: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments (I'm not argueing so don't get me wrong)
J.K. Rowling said that the reason they didn't stick with one director was because she didn't want him to think he'd be able to "do better next time." She wanted them to know they wouldn't get another chance and that they had to do the best the first time.

message 6: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments that's logical. but i still wish the first director would direct the last book. i like his style. where can we petition, ashley?

message 7: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I don't know where you can petition..lol. It was just an idea ..lol. But hey if you wanna start one then send it to JK Rowling, I will be more than happy to give my signature.

message 8: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments nah, i was just messing around. it would be a treat for us fans if they'd think to put him (the first director) on the last book. heeheehee...

message 9: by Cathy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Cathy | 50 comments I think that they leave scenes out because of two reasons:
1. The movie would be too long if everything pertinent to the story were added -- things that readers of the book find necessary which leads me to ...
2. Some people JUST watch the movies and don't read the books. The detailed parts of the book would be hard to understand with the more shallow movie story.
That said, I love the books and prefer them to the movie x a million.
BUT!! i love the movies too -- the depictions are fabulous and entertaining and the actors and actresses do such a fabulous job. I just love everything surrounding this story!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that this movie HP5 is the worst of all the movies of HP, becauses the director dont't have any idea of making movie, he spoil the movie in every aspect, he did know noting, he make the movie with hurry and the movie don't go well.

message 11: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I agree with the part that movies are great, and that the actors, and actresses are awesome and the special effects are great. But I think the movie loses value when important scenes are missing. And I thing devoted Harry Potter fans would be more than willing to sit in theatre for three hours..lol. Hell, look at how long Titanic was. If they can make Titanic that long, they can make Harry Potter that long .

message 12: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Ashley (samuraigurl91) | 106 comments i agree with Meghan and Peng. i love all HP movies and honestly, i really loved both of the 'worse' HP movies HP4 and HP5. i really loved the soundtracks! Lol!

well, the directors wants to use the actors and actresses acting ability to make the movie nice, not just the special effects or else the audience will just notice the special effects not the acting and definitely not how nice the movie and the plot is.

like Ashley said, if they can make Titanic that long, they can definitely make HP that long. i mean although what the director said in the making [the max is 2 1/2 hours or 3 hours] is true, and they had to cut parts out, i think they should not have added that many scenes but concentrate on the audience [namely us HUGE massive die-hard fans of HP] favs and liking instead. that would have made the movie more popular than it already is.

and yeah those who don't read the book but just watch the movie, they won't really understand the whole thing. they'll just get some parts and understand the main point but thats all. they won't get like why Petunia hates Harry that much or why the Whomping Willow is there. they'll just get the picture. not that its bad but i'm still sticking to my point that they shouldn't have add that many extra scenes but concentrate on what the fans want and like.

message 13: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments so true, ashley! i think the longest hp movie was secrets of chambers (am i right?) but it wasn't boring at all because the director tried to put as much of the book in the movie. even with the first movie they edited a lot but in the dvd version they put back the snake in the zoo scene because it was relevant to the second movie (harry being parseltounge) and in the third movie there were scenes that were in not the book but for what? to show that the new director has some additional ideas the fans might like (but not at all relevant to the story? i'd watch a 3hr. long hp movie anytime. wish they would release unedited hp dvds..... that would be heaven!

message 14: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments Peng,
You were close. It's Chamber of Secrets.:)

I would love to watch a three hour HP movie! I don't think any true fan would mind! I'd love it!

message 15: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments lol! right, chamber of secrets. i was actually asking if that was the longest hp movie. can i blame it as typpo error? hehehehe....

message 16: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Ashley (samuraigurl91) | 106 comments yeah i really wouldn't mind watching a really long HP movie. Lol! as long as it can be. i don't ever want the movie to end. its really sad when you're in the cinema and all the good stuff is out and since you're a HP fan you know its ending because once the stuff is out then its over. but yeah i seriously wouldn't mind watching a really long HP movie. the longer the better i don't want it to end so fast! xD

message 17: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments Sorry Peng, but I don't know which is longest. I'll have to check.

message 18: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Ashley (samuraigurl91) | 106 comments omg!!! i just noticed. Hermione used the body-bind curse on Neville in the first HP movie but it wasn't in the book till the 5th or something right? i dunno~ sorry if i was wrong.

message 19: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments i just finished the first book and she did use the total body-bind curse to neville when he was stopping them from going out again. but now that i'm in book 2, i read that it was arthur weasley who repaired harry's eyeglasses when he came from knockturn alley. but in the movie it was hermione who repaired the glasses.

message 20: by Allie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Allie | 76 comments If you want to have a long HP movie just watch all th movies in one day.......I did once but it too 4ever so I only recommend thid to people who are bored!!.......:)

message 21: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:52PM) (new)

Ashley (samuraigurl91) | 106 comments yeah it was suppose to be Mr Weasley who repaired Harry's glasses. Lol.