The Classics discussion

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by theduckthief (new)

theduckthief | 269 comments Mod
This is for discussing "A Voyage to the Country of the Houyhnhnhms".

message 2: by theduckthief (new)

theduckthief | 269 comments Mod
My logical mind would simply not accept that horses could build houses, milk cows and fix meals. Did they get the Yahoos to plow and plant their fields? If so, I assume the Yahoos must be able to understand their horsey language.

And how gross is Gulliver? He makes clothes from the hides of Yahoos as well as a boat. Does he kill them or just scavenge dead bodies?

"Imaginary diseases that only women have". My mind went immediately to women being diagnosed with hysteria way back when but I don't know of an equivalent in Swift's time so I have no idea how condescending he's being.

Also, what was with the comment about certain horse coat colours resulting in more or less intelligent horses?

Overall I did not enjoy Gulliver. It had its moments but was too chock full of boring description. The satire was lost on me and I suspect that's because I'm so far removed from when Swift wrote this. Some truths are universal, such as a distrust of lawyers and politicians but many of Swift's comments went over my head. It didn't make for a good story as I didn't feel there was enough meat in the story to keep it interesting. Instead I think this would have worked better as a lecture series or a sock puppet play. I would love to see this as a play with puppets!