Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Dec 2011 - Jan 2012 Group Read > Part II: The Year Zero (SPOILER ALERT)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Part II comments go here.

message 2: by Ann (last edited Jan 01, 2012 09:51AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments This was a sad part for me, I was not expecting to lose one of the (to date) major characters so soon. The characters seem to be compelled to do things without completely having control of their actions, as if it is preordained or something.
spoiler up to and including chapter 17)

I was sad that Wolgast was injured and exposed to radiation poisoning and that Amy left him before he succumbed. (or did the stars dropping down from the tree get him?) shudder!
I thought that Amy had seemed more distant as she gained more and more knowledge near the end. It was touching that she nursed Wolgast and that she was sad that he was ill, and made sure to assure him that she was alright. She was returning the favor as he had cared for her.

As for why Amy was compelled to leave when she did, with what I know so far, no idea. I guess she thought there was nothing else she could do for him, or perhaps it was just time for her to go (as previously when Sister Lacy knew she should get out of the car as they escaped the compound in CO and act as a decoy.) Lacy didn't seem to know that was what she would do before she got in the car.

message 3: by Greg Horner (new)

Greg Horner | 1 comments It was a well played and yet cruel move to really flesh-out Paul's backstory and then leave him behind.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Greg - exactly! It seemed quite cruel in general, and unexpected.
Greg wrote: "It was a well played and yet cruel move to really flesh-out Paul's backstory and then leave him behind."

message 5: by Debra (new)

Ann wrote: "Greg - exactly! It seemed quite cruel in general, and unexpected.
Greg wrote: "It was a well played and yet cruel move to really flesh-out Paul's backstory and then leave him behind.""

Yes, a sad part of the tale. Of course, we don't know what happened to either of them. I'm sure we will see Amy later, somewhere down the road. Maybe (however unilkely it seems) we might see Wolgast, too.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments There were an awful lot of people doing things that appeared out of their control, not a pleasant idea to contemplate. At least the actions of Wolgast and Lacy seemed to have some sort of purpose (even if we don't understand it) The fate of the jumps, ugh. Some fates seemed more horrible than others, but none were very palatable.

message 7: by Debra (new)

Ann wrote: "There were an awful lot of people doing things that appeared out of their control, not a pleasant idea to contemplate. At least the actions of Wolgast and Lacy seemed to have some sort of purpose (..."

Yes, a lot seemed to be destined to happen. People pulled together because they were connected by fate.

message 8: by Debra (new)

Ann wrote: "This was a sad part for me, I was not expecting to lose one of the (to date) major characters so soon. The characters seem to be compelled to do things without completely having control of their ac..."

I re-read the part about Wolgast's last memory being the stars falling down on him. This does sound like the virals may have gotten him. But did they kill him, or change him? Am going thru each section of the book to clarify things for myself and add more comments. I think there are going to be a lot of unanswered questions in the end. (I've finished the book, but am back-tracking a bit so I don't forget anything.)

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Wolgast went outside on the porch the next day after the explosion, and the ash was falling on him, could that happen??? Can the ash continue to fall like that 24 hours later??? Well, I don't really know if it was exactly 24 hours, but it was a very long time.

I wonder if Amy left because she was "called". Wolgast saw her several times standing in front of the windows, but then she would go back to bed, like it was not time yet. Even the day of the explosion, she was standing in front of the window. She told Wolgast that she could "feel them", I suppose they also talked to her.

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Debra wrote: "Ann wrote: "This was a sad part for me, I was not expecting to lose one of the (to date) major characters so soon. The characters seem to be compelled to do things without completely having control..."

For some reason I don't feel that the virals got him - not sure why I think that. Just a thought I guess.......

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Linda:
It was certainly unclear what did happen to Wolgast after Amy left. If Amy could "feel them" before she left, it seems possible she was communicating with the others in some way before she left. That is a good interpretation of her time looking out the window.
I don't think I realized it at this point in the book though, she was still a mystery to me.

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I agree that Amy is a mystery. like learning her new skills - swimming and reading - no one taught her it just came to her.

message 13: by Debra (new)

I agree that Amy was called away; the virals and her have a special connection because of the virus they share, plus Amy had special powers to begin with.

I still think Wolgast saw the virals in the trees, and the stars coming down were them coming to attack him.

Melissa ♥ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf (melissaseclecticbookshelf) It was as if something in her (or from them) told her that it was time to go. And if I remember correctly hadn't Wolgast been trying to get her to leave...though it was sad that she wasn't there at the end...and he missed her...but maybe it had to be that way to leave things more open ended.

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Wolgast did tell her which direction to go if something happened to him.

I do agree Melissa, I think it would have been nice for Wolgast to have Amy there with him - at the end - at least I guess that was his end.....

message 16: by Debra (new)

Yes, the apparent death of Wolgast was very sad. I wanted he and Amy to stay together throughout the journey.