Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Dec 2011 - Jan 2012 Group Read > Part VII: The Darklands (SPOILER ALERT)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Part VII comments go here.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Chapters 42-46
This seemed like a break out section to me (literally) I had been expecting some of them to leave and look for others before the "Night of Blade and Stars" events. Hollis joins them, he killed his brother Arlo when the virals broke into the sanctuary and teacher was killed (Arlo was the viral who had come in and was standing at his own baby's crib) I still am curious about what Arlo was really doing, did his humanity prevail and lead him to take one last look at his child? I guess I would like to think there was still some humanity inside him. Or is that more horrible, to be out of control as a "jump" and still have human feelings?

I especially liked the audio of chapter 44 read in Sarah's voice by a new reader. I could listen to her voice all day. I hope since Sarah reappears at the end of this part apparently ok that we will hear more from her in her voice.

The eight who have set out from the colony left when they had no other choice. I don't have a good feeling for anyone left at the colony after they left and mob rule seems to have taken over. Galen's fate may not be that different from the rest of them after they threw Elton over the wall -- who will keep the batteries running in the light house and the power generating in the power plant - they don't appear to have a lot of talented people left.

message 3: by Debra (new)

I asked the same question about Arlo and his baby in Part VI. I wonder if he just wanted to see her, or if he would have given into the virus in him and kill her?

And I wondered the same thing about who would have kept the lights on since they killed Elton! Idiots! lol

message 4: by Debra (new)

I'm glad Hollis joined the group leaving the colony. I don't think they would have made it without him - a veteran of the Long Rides.

Melissa ♥ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf (melissaseclecticbookshelf) Definitely frightening for those left behind that the only ones who really seemed capable of independent thought (and keeping the lights on) were gone.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Agreed, I think the people left at the Colony sealed their fate after throwing Elton over the wall. I guess they got so upset they could not think straight, actually no one was thinking!!!

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Ann wrote: "Chapters 42-46
This seemed like a break out section to me (literally) I had been expecting some of them to leave and look for others before the "Night of Blade and Stars" events. Hollis joins them,..."

Ann, I am currently reading this book, but listening to you talk about the audio version has me wanting to listen to it as well.... I will have to think about that - maybe when book 2 comes out I will listen to this one.

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments So sad to read about Sara being taken - and I'm getting worried - where is that "lady" taking them????

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Theo is back - yippee!!! But why is he in jail????

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments So glad to see Hollis join the new group!!!

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Linda:
I will definitely prefer the audio version for book two. This type of epic book is in the style that I enjoy on my commute and the descriptive prose really lends itself to audio. That said, sometimes print is best too, so ideally I will get my hands on both this time.

Melissa ♥ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf (melissaseclecticbookshelf) I hope to get book II in audio as well...although I know I'll eventually want these for my shelves as well!

message 13: by Debra (new)

Linda, it's fun to read your comments and questions. I have to stay mum so I don't let the cat out of the bag!

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments LOL!!! I know, I have to be careful with my questions and comments - I am just talking out loud.