Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Dec 2011 - Jan 2012 Group Read > Part XI: The New Thing (SPOILER ALERT)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Part XI comments go here.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments There are a zillion comments I could make.
Some of the closing questions I am eager to have answered:
1. What happened to all of the characters, but especially Theo and baby Caleb.
2. When the virals trashed the Humvee and "everything in it was scattered around", did that include the files on the twelve? Could Theo still have the intact files or did they carry some or part of them on the walk to Roswell?
3. If Babcock's Many were all sent on their final Passage by Amy and the First Colonists were dreaming Babcock's dreams - wouldn't they likely have been part of Babcock's many and then seen by Peter and the others as Amy set them all on their journey with their names and memories restored? Is that why the First Colony was empty of bodies, they all traveled to follow Babcock?
4.Which of the Twelve's Many attacked Roswell, and why was a safe city (safe for many years before I thought) attacked now, just as Sara and the others arrived?
5. What is Wolgast now? Is he a ghost only seen by Amy and Lish or is he another person transformed into something else by the virus - did they give him some during his confinement?

message 3: by Debra (new)

I want to know what happened to the document listing the 12 and their home addresses. As we now know, they always come home. So, can we presume each can be found where their homes are with their own band of virals congregating around them?

I had thought Maus and Theo would stay at the farmhouse. They seemed so content there.

We learn that Galen was the viral in the barn. But who killed him? It seems we have another walker following our travelers, but not revealing himself. The same walker Peter and Theo's dad, Demo, saw?

message 4: by Debra (new)

I'm pretty convinced (although, not 100%) that Wolgast was a viral and Amy held him until he evaporated in the sun's rays. I could be wrong though. He seemed more substantial than a ghost.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments I am not sure in my own mind what happened to Wolgast. As I read, I was sure he was taken away when Amy left him early on. Only later did it seem I missed something, so of course, I probably did. ;)

message 6: by Debra (new)

Yeah, it's certainly not clear about Wolgast. I could be wrong, but I think he is gone for good in either case. But perhaps he will show up in the next books.

Melissa ♥ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf (melissaseclecticbookshelf) Darn...I can't completely remember the barn scene! And I agree that it was left up in the air as to Wolgast true condition. He "felt" like a ghost but did seem more substantial than that. And if he was a viral...where was he that whole time...and why didn't he "go home" although maybe/probably to him...Amy was home.

I also assume that they have to save those files or at least some of the data...how else will they be able to hunt down the other bands of virals and send them on their Passage?

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Debra wrote: "I'm pretty convinced (although, not 100%) that Wolgast was a viral and Amy held him until he evaporated in the sun's rays. I could be wrong though. He seemed more substantial than a ghost."

I think Wolgast is a viral, but different possibly, not like the others. I don't think he is a ghost. I think Amy could feel him coming to her after Babcock was killed. She said she felt him for days, weeks, months, was Babcock blocking her from Wolgast????

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Debra wrote: "I want to know what happened to the document listing the 12 and their home addresses. As we now know, they always come home. So, can we presume each can be found where their homes are with their ..."

I thought they all would stay at the farmhouse. When Theo and Peter talked that day after they buried Galen, Theo said the farmhouse felt safe. But I guess they felt they needed to go back to the Colony to check on the others, they did not know what happened them, if the lights were still burning....

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments After starting this section and finding out that Alicia was still alive, along with Theo and Maus, I was very happy - they all made it!!!

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Debra wrote: "I want to know what happened to the document listing the 12 and their home addresses. As we now know, they always come home. So, can we presume each can be found where their homes are with their ..."

I agree with you Debra, I think there is another walker, because where did Conroy come from??? Who was stealing the can food and opening them??? Not Conroy.

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Was anyone shocked that Peter wanted to take the virus??? At first I thought he was crazy to want to do that, but then after thinking about it - I saw his point, with making himself stronger to assist him with fighting off the rest of the twelve.

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Linda. It was a great relief to know that Maus and Theo and Alisha are still alive. We can't lose any more of our favorite characters!
I was surprised that Peter would consider taking the virus too. I guess he doesn't see it as the drastic choice we do. (after all they have been through)

message 14: by Debra (new)

I wanted them ALL to take the virus so there would be the army of exceptional people to fight the rest of the 12 AND Zero! I was shocked when Amy had destroyed all the vials.

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I agree with you Debra, I was surprised that Peter took it, but after he did, I wanted all of them to take it as well - so they could be strong to fight the virals or whatever else came their way!!!

message 16: by Debra (new)

Actually, Peter didn't get injected because the vials had been destroyed. I was not happy about that part! How are these mere humans going to win out against such odds!?