The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2011: EARTH > 5.4. Let’s Call it a Goal!

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Nov 18, 2011 09:08PM) (new)

Sandy | 15618 comments Mod
5.4. Let’s Call it a Goal!
I’ve never had much luck with “New Year’s resolutions” but I always keep hoping.
Read a book that involves something you’d like to do in 2012, a goal or an aspiration or even a faint hope! This can be fiction or non-fiction. While you may not achieve this goal, it should be one that is reasonably possible - no travelling back in time to do something over (a favorite fantasy of mine) or finding a vampire or zombie lover.
REQUIRED: Tell us what your goal is, and if it's not obvious, explain how the book relates to it.

message 2: by Sandy (new)

placeholder

message 3: by Sandy (new)

placeholder

message 4: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I want to read at least 20 books from the Ultimate Teen Reading List on teenreads.com next year so could I read any book that is on that list?

message 5: by Sandy (new)

★Meghan★ wrote: "I want to read at least 20 books from the Ultimate Teen Reading List on teenreads.com next year so could I read any book that is on that list?"

sure

message 6: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments So if my goal is to spend more time at our house in the mountains, can I read a book set in the NC mountains?

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Beth NC wrote: "So if my goal is to spend more time at our house in the mountains, can I read a book set in the NC mountains?"

only if I can come, too!

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Beth NC wrote: "So if my goal is to spend more time at our house in the mountains, can I read a book set in the NC mountains?"

seriously, that will be fine

message 9: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Sandy wrote: "Beth NC wrote: "So if my goal is to spend more time at our house in the mountains, can I read a book set in the NC mountains?"

only if I can come, too!"

Come on......need directions?

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments What if your goal is to read a certain number of books? What can you read for that?

message 11: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments I have a goal to run a half-marathon next year, so I was wondering if Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner would work?

message 12: by Sandy (new)

Kathryn CA wrote: "What if your goal is to read a certain number of books? What can you read for that?"

There are a number of books about reading plans, etc. - for instance, check out Nancy Pearl. Or maybe a book about reading groups or clubs, fiction or nonfiction. These would be a couple ideas.

message 13: by Sandy (new)

♥Meagan♥ wrote: "I have a goal to run a half-marathon next year, so I was wondering if Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner would work?"

yes

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Sandy wrote: "Kathryn CA wrote: "What if your goal is to read a certain number of books? What can you read for that?"

There are a number of books about reading plans, etc. - for instance, check out [author:Na..."

Thanks, Sandy!

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7515 comments so my goal is to try and read/get rid of these books I bought all ebay that have been sitting gathering dust for the last year - I can read one of those right - as long as I explain it in my post

message 16: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 70 comments If my goal is to finish more of my reading challenges, can I read a book that's part of a challenge?

message 17: by Bea (last edited Nov 26, 2011 12:02PM) (new)

Bea | 3823 comments I think I found the perfect book for my goal! I set a goal of 200 books next year. So I chose So Many Books, So Little Time: A Year of Passionate Reading. I think that works.

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Bea wrote: "I think I found the perfect book for my goal! I set a goal of 200 books next year. So I chose So Many Books, So Little Time: A Year of Passionate Reading. I think that works."

Dee wrote: "so my goal is to try and read/get rid of these books I bought all ebay that have been sitting gathering dust for the last year - I can read one of those right - as long as I explain it in my post"

yes

message 19: by Sandy (new)

Bea wrote: "I think I found the perfect book for my goal! I set a goal of 200 books next year. So I chose So Many Books, So Little Time: A Year of Passionate Reading. I think that works."

perfect choice!

message 20: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 434 comments If my goal is to read more bedtime stories with my preschooler, can I use any book that I read with him at bedtime?

message 21: by Sandy (last edited Nov 28, 2011 05:10PM) (new)

Joanna wrote: "If my goal is to read more bedtime stories with my preschooler, can I use any book that I read with him at bedtime?"

I assume you're talking about picture books and little kid books? Normal rules apply - you need 500 pages of picture books, and little kid books can be used if they're over 100 pages.

message 23: by Sandy (new)

Jody wrote: "Are cookbooks ok to claim?King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking: Delicious Recipes Using Nutritious Whole Grains"

yes, if you have a goal involving baking/using more whole grains, etc.

message 24: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments Just to clarify, if my goal is to read more books/find new books I wouldn't normally read, would Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason fit? I've been meaning to read Nancy Pearl's book lust books forever! Thanks!

message 25: by Sandy (new)

Randi wrote: "Just to clarify, if my goal is to read more books/find new books I wouldn't normally read, would Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason fit? I've been meani..."

that would be a perfect choice.

message 26: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments Sandy wrote: "Randi wrote: "Just to clarify, if my goal is to read more books/find new books I wouldn't normally read, would Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason fit? I..."

Thanks, Sandy! :)

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (moragepona) | 124 comments I'm not sure if this might be too vague, but one of my goals for next year is to spend one of my internships abroad as an exchange student and thought Ink Exchange might work?

message 28: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments Reading Abandon (Abandon Trilogy, #1) by Meg Cabot because when the new year begins, I'm going to stop worrying and live with abandon! Would that work?

message 29: by Sandy (new)

Sarah wrote: "I'm not sure if this might be too vague, but one of my goals for next year is to spend one of my internships abroad as an exchange student and thought Ink Exchange might work?"

is the book about someone doing some sort of exchange?The book itself should somehow involve your goal, not just a word in the title.

message 30: by Sandy (new)

Anomander wrote: "Reading Abandon (Abandon Trilogy, #1) by Meg Cabotbecause when the new year begins, I'm going to stop worrying and live with abandon! Would that work?"

is that what the book is about? That's the point of the task, not just a word in the title.

message 31: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments Could A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin work? Because my goal is to finish off this series next year.

message 33: by Sandy (new)

Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Would A Girl's Guide to Money - Laura Brady be ok?"

If it relates to a goal you have for 2012.

message 34: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments Sandy, did you miss my question?

message 35: by Sandy (new)

Anomander wrote: "Could A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martinwork? Because my goal is to finish off this series next year."

That will work.

message 36: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments Thanks!

message 37: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Sandy wrote: "Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Would A Girl's Guide to Money - Laura Brady be ok?"

If it relates to a goal you have for 2012."

Yes, need to get finances sorted x

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (moragepona) | 124 comments Sandy wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I'm not sure if this might be too vague, but one of my goals for next year is to spend one of my internships abroad as an exchange student and thought Ink Exchange migh..."

Thanks Sandy.

Say I were to use that same book, but change the goal to wanting to work on my tbr/owned list, would that work?

message 39: by Sandy (new)

Sarah wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I'm not sure if this might be too vague, but one of my goals for next year is to spend one of my internships abroad as an exchange student and thought [book:Ink Exchange..."

yes

message 40: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Would Ready Player One work for my goal is to play more games with my family

message 41: by Sandy (new)

JennRenee wrote: "Would Ready Player One work for my goal is to play more games with my family"

yes