The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2011: EARTH > 5.3. Round Here......

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Dec 03, 2011 04:01AM) (new)

Sandy | 16185 comments Mod
5.3. Round Here......
Since the earth is round, read a book with something round or oval on the cover. At least half of the circular object must show on the cover of the book.
REQUIRED: post a picture of the cover and point out the "round thing"

message 2: by Sandy (new)

placeholder

message 3: by Sandy (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Felina (new)

Felina Will this work? Or does it have to be a sphere.

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Felina wrote: "Will this work? Or does it have to be a sphere.

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins"

Looks round to me!

message 6: by Felina (new)

Felina Perfect. Thanks!!

message 7: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments One for Sorrow, Two for Joy by Clive Woodall
Will this one work? The moon is in the background.

Thanks

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Kathy G. wrote: "One for Sorrow, Two for Joy by Clive Woodall
Will this one work? The moon is in the background.

Thanks"

Sure - but be sure to point it out when you post.

message 9: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments How about this one--- round skull eyes--- or round top of the key?
The Maze of Bones (39 Clues, #1) by Rick Riordan

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Kathy G. wrote: "How about this one--- round skull eyes--- or round top of the key?
The Maze of Bones (39 Clues, #1) by Rick Riordan"

looks round to me

message 11: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments thanks

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily | 682 comments Will The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick work? I'm not sure what it is - looks like clockwork - but the gold behind the title is round.

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Kate wrote: "Will The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick work? I'm not sure what it is - looks like clockwork - but the gold behind the title is round."

just fine!

message 14: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Nov 20, 2011 08:46AM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Want to check a couple of these? Are we looking for a circle or as long as it is round?
My Name Is Mary Sutter A Novel by Robin Oliveira (behind the title)
The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks (ferris wheel in bottom left corner)
Under the Dome by Stephen King (hemisphere)
Orchard Valley Grooms Valerie\Stephanie by Debbie Macomber (apples in wheelbarrow)
Boomerang Travels in the New Third World by Michael Lewis (oval round backing of Washington)

message 15: by Rosemary (last edited Nov 19, 2011 11:07AM) (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments If there is a face on the cover and you can see the eyes, is that OK? Scratch that - I realised you cannot see the whole of the roundness due to eyelids getting in the way ;-)

How about the dots after the author's initials J and L on this one: Sex, Lies and Edelweiss by J.L. Merrow

message 16: by Judy (new)

Judy | 897 comments Is Sweet Revenge A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery by Andrea Penrose OK? The plates and candle holders are round.

Thanks!

message 17: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin - some kind of crystal ball or snowglobe?

message 18: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Is the spider web round enough or how about the umbrella?

message 19: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments If the round thing isn't the primary focus - is that OK?

There are lots of round things on this cover (tomatoes, apples, oranges), but they aren't right up front like some of the other covers.
Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmer's Market Mystery, #1) by Paige Shelton

message 20: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 70 comments Would this Immortal (Immortal, #1) by Gillian Shields work? I'm thinking the necklace looks round.

message 21: by Sandy (new)

★Meghan★ wrote: "Want to check a couple of these? Are we looking for a circle or as long as it is round?.."

We're looking for round, more than oval. So, the ferris wheel, sphere and apples are fine.

message 22: by Sandy (new)

Rosemary wrote: "If there is a face on the cover and you can see the eyes, is that OK? Scratch that - I realised you cannot see the whole of the roundness due to eyelids getting in the way ;-)

How about the dots a..."

dots are fine - you can see them and they're round

message 23: by Sandy (last edited Dec 03, 2011 03:56AM) (new)

Judy wrote: "Is Sweet Revenge A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery by Andrea Penrose OK? The plates and candle holders are round.

Thanks!"

fine

message 24: by Sandy (new)

mstan wrote: "Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin - some kind of crystal ball or snowglobe?"

that works

message 25: by Sandy (new)

♥Meagan♥ wrote: "Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Is the spider web round enough or how about the umbrella?"

the web works. While an umbrella would be round if seen from another perspective, it's not really round on this cover.

message 26: by Sandy (new)

Christine US wrote: "If the round thing isn't the primary focus - is that OK?

There are lots of round things on this cover (tomatoes, apples, oranges), but they aren't right up front like some of the other covers...."

that's fine - I see a lot of circles and round things on that cover

message 27: by Sandy (new)

Aneeqah wrote: "Would this Immortal (Immortal, #1) by Gillian Shields work? I'm thinking the necklace looks round."

looks round to me!

message 28: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4081 comments I thought these medallions were round but now I am not sure since you ruled out oval. What do you think? Are they round enough?

The Eleventh Commandment by Jeffrey Archer

message 29: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 70 comments Sandy wrote: "Aneeqah wrote: "Would this Immortal (Immortal, #1) by Gillian Shields work? I'm thinking the necklace looks round."

looks round to me!"

Thanks!

message 30: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Ok, this is over simplifying and really pushing at the limits BUT..... would the letter O in a title work?
Succubus Shadows ie the O in Shadows is on the cover and it is round....

::Ducking from the flying round tomatoes being thrown at me:::

message 31: by April (new)

April Is the moon in the back ground round enough to qualify?

Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3) by Chloe Neill

message 32: by Sandy (new)

Beth NC wrote: "Ok, this is over simplifying and really pushing at the limits BUT..... would the letter O in a title work?
Succubus Shadows ie the O in Shadows is on the cover and it is round......"

April wrote: "Is the moon in the back ground round enough to qualify?

Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3) by Chloe Neill"

Bea wrote: "I thought these medallions were round but now I am not sure since you ruled out oval. What do you think? Are they round enough?

The Eleventh Commandment by Jeffrey Archer"

All okay

message 33: by Sandy (new)

This is turning out to be one of those tasks that seemed very straightforward and simple, but, in practice, not so much!

So, I'm adding the following guidelines to make it easier for you and for DLMRose - the shape needs to be round or "roundish" - so ovals will be okay. I don't want people to need to get measuring tools to determine whether something crosses the line between a circle and an oval!

At least HALF the shape needs to show on the cover - so, for instance, the moon in post 31 and the ferris wheel in post 14 are okay, even though the complete circle doesn't show on the cover - on the other hand, a little bit of a curved line or an umbrella shown from the side view wouldn't work.

This is visual, not conceptual - look at the cover - do you see something round?

Hope this makes it easier for everyone. I'll be revising the task description to make this more clear.

message 34: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katmcv) | 457 comments Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie Assuming it's fine, but just checking. Girl in a round orb thingy.

message 35: by Sandy (new)

Katrina wrote: "Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie Assuming it's fine, but just checking. Girl in a round orb thingy."

fine

message 36: by Felina (new)

Felina Katrina wrote: "Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie Assuming it's fine, but just checking. Girl in a round orb thingy."

Oooo...I may change mine to that. Good choice Katrina.

message 37: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments Will Amnesia Moon by Jonathan Lethem do?

message 38: by Aleksandra (last edited Nov 24, 2011 02:43AM) (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Would Chocolat by Joanne Harris work for this task?

message 39: by Sandy (new)

Aleksandra wrote: "Would Chocolat by Joanne Harriswork for this task?"

Anomander wrote: "Will Amnesia Moon by Jonathan Lethem do?"

yes

message 40: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments Cascade (River of Time, #2) by Lisa Tawn Bergren

There is a roundish looking thing in the middle. I'm just double checking to make sure that it works :)

message 41: by Sandy (new)

♥Meagan♥ wrote: "Cascade (River of Time, #2) by Lisa Tawn Bergren

There is a roundish looking thing in the middle. I'm just double checking to make sure that it works :)"

yas, I think the pendant or whatever on her chest works for round

message 42: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Aleksandra wrote: "Would Chocolat by Joanne Harriswork for this task?"

thank You Sandy :)

message 43: by Amanda (last edited Dec 02, 2011 07:48AM) (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Hey so I have two that I think might work, but I'm not 100% so I'd thought I'd check.

Sweep Volume 2 (Dark Magick; Awakening; Spellbound) by Cate Tiernan Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry

For Sweep I think it's ok because it's the moon, but it's a crescent moon so it's not a complete circle.

For Rot and Ruin I thought it would be ok because the eye is so wide you can see the entire iris.

Please let me know, thank you!

message 44: by Sandy (new)

Amanda Pearl wrote: "Hey so I have two that I think might work, but I'm not 100% so I'd thought I'd check.

Sweep Volume 2 (Dark Magick; Awakening; Spellbound) by Cate Tiernan

This one doesn't work because it's not round - it needs to be a circle as you're looking at it, not as it might be in another phase of the moon. Since it's the moon, it would work for 25.4, though.

Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry
this one is fine.

message 45: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Sandy wrote: "Amanda Pearl wrote: "Hey so I have two that I think might work, but I'm not 100% so I'd thought I'd check.

Sweep Volume 2 (Dark Magick; Awakening; Spellbound) by Cate Tiernan

This one doesn't work because it's not round - i..."

ooh I forgot about 25.4! that is perfect, I'll do it like that thanks!

message 46: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Would Stone Rain (Zack Walker, #4) by Linwood Barclay (the handcuffs) be ok?

message 47: by Sandy (new)

Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Would Stone Rain (Zack Walker, #4) by Linwood Barclay (the handcuffs) be ok?"

yes - don't forget to point them out when you post.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

Is the red circle in the background ok?

message 49: by Sandy (new)

Kimifly wrote: "Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

Is the red circle in the background ok?"

yep

message 50: by Marina (new)

Marina (marina1709) | 28 comments Can I use the smiley face or the shirt logo as the round thing?

Ich schenk dir eine Geschichte 2009 Abenteuergeschichten by Unbekannt

Enlarged cover

« previous 1